Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Zoey’s Extraordinary Session

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I agree, it was weird for Mitch and Maggie to keep calling her on her first day when they didn't know anything. Telling her about having surgery makes sense, but to make her worry so early on seemed unnecessary.

My dad was in the hospital for several days when I was in college and they didn't tell me until day 2 or 3 because my mom knew I had a big test and didn't want me to worry when there wasn't really any information to share (also a heart scare but he was fine). They would never have called me on the first day of a new job unless/until they needed me to come to the hospital.

And why is she even answering the phone? You'd think she'd be more focused on what she's supposed to be doing if she wants to work there so badly. Put the phone away.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

And why is she even answering the phone? You'd think she'd be more focused on what she's supposed to be doing if she wants to work there so badly. Put the phone away.

Seriously. At least wait until the second day before you start sneaking personal calls.

But it is totally in character for Zoey to be distracted from what she is supposed to be doing. At work or literally anywhere she goes.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I liked this episode a lot. I think having it was important for the season for many reasons, mostly for the fact that it brought back Peter Gallagher and allowed him to really get some good scenes, But it also makes me a bit sad that we didn't get this episode as the pilot and grow the show from here. As much as I loved season 1, it put a timestamp on Peter Gallagher's role on the show and he definitely has helped elevate the show a little bit. We didn't get much of a chance to really know Mitch as a person because it was all about Mitch's illness in season 1.

So it was so nice to see Mitch/Maggie scenes. It was sad that they had Maggie sick instead of Mitch, but I also thought for a second that they might hint at Mitch's illness in these flashbacks, maybe even showcase him starting to get sick. I'm glad they mostly avoided that.

I'm guessing we're gonna get Mitch getting sick flashbacks in another therapy session in the future

6 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I agree, it was weird for Mitch and Maggie to keep calling her on her first day when they didn't know anything. Telling her about having surgery makes sense, but to make her worry so early on seemed unnecessary.

I don't know how old Zoey was supposed to be in the flashback, but it was also weird that she brought the lunch Mitch made her. I would not have wanted to advertise my parents making me lunch as an adult.

It was either 2016 or 2015, and she turned 30 this year, so 24 or 25

11 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

agree, it was weird for Mitch and Maggie to keep calling her on her first day when they didn't know anything. Telling her about having surgery makes sense, but to make her worry so early on seemed unnecessary

Maybe since the episode takes place at a therapy session, we are supposed to take these flashbacks more as Zoey’s inner thoughts than as actual recounting of the events? For instance, maybe her parents didn’t really call her at work, but she was obsessing about her mom’s situation anyway?  
(especially since the show already has elements of fantasy that may or may not only be in Zoey’s mind)

15 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I don't know how old Zoey was supposed to be in the flashback, but it was also weird that she brought the lunch Mitch made her. I would not have wanted to advertise my parents making me lunch as an adult.

Well, nobody would know Mitch made it if she hadn't told them. When not working remotely, I bring my own lunch. That part made me chuckle - my dad was a fantastic cook and he taught me (and he learned from his father, so "men don't cook" is not a stereotype I grew up with). Food and cooking were our things. The majority of kitchen gadgets and tools I own were gifts from him. We cooked for each other a lot, like for his birthday I would get menu requests from him and make what he wanted. He wouldn't have made me lunch on my first day at a new job but he would have (and did) made me a special dinner, or we'd go to a favorite place to celebrate. (Also when Max said he wished his family would bring him lunch, I smiled because my dad actually did drop off my lunch to school once when I forgot it.)

Max and Leif sounded really good together, and I loved Mo's version of "Shut Up and Drive."

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Maybe since the episode takes place at a therapy session, we are supposed to take these flashbacks more as Zoey’s inner thoughts than as actual recounting of the events? For instance, maybe her parents didn’t really call her at work, but she was obsessing about her mom’s situation anyway?

I think she was recounting them because her therapist interrupted her to tell her that her actually stating the Fibonacci Sequence was too much detail.

Like most of you, I thought Max was a college or high school friend, not that they met at work.

12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I'd have turned the phone off once I realized that this was essentially another interview.

• Love 2
On 5/9/2021 at 11:28 PM, Dani said:

One thing that bugged me was that this felt really inconsistent with Zoey’s journal entry from her first day at Sprq Point. It wasn’t a lot to match and they didn’t even try for the most part. 

I don't really remember the journal entry - but given everything, she could have started the journal on her first official day of work (other than the wierd continuation of an interview), especially since given the events of the day, she would have had her mind on other things when it came to journal writing.

On 5/10/2021 at 12:56 PM, tennisgurl said:

Certainly a big day for the Clarke's. Zoey gets her dream job and meetings her best friend/love interest, her other best friend/musical mentor/landlord, her boss who she will get high with one time, and her workplace rival, Emily has a heart attack, goes into surgery, and comes out, and David ditches his girlfriend, who is basically Mona Lisa from Parks and Rec, and reconnects with his future wife. And all in just one day. 

I may be overthinking it - but I think that moment of Mitch "zoning out" was a foreshadowing of his illness. So that would be on top of everything else. If I recall, he was sick for a number of years, so it would possibly be around that time when he started showing the "minor" symptoms.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I don't really remember the journal entry - but given everything, she could have started the journal on her first official day of work (other than the wierd continuation of an interview), especially since given the events of the day, she would have had her mind on other things when it came to journal writing.

Her journal was specifically about her reactions to meeting her co-workers for the first time. What she said doesn’t work with what we saw and Max being officially hired a month later. 

28 minutes ago, Dani said:

Her journal was specifically about her reactions to meeting her co-workers for the first time. What she said doesn’t work with what we saw and Max being officially hired a month later. 

Okay, that negates my spin. :)

58 minutes ago, Dani said:

That was her impression of Max from the first day, not the very first second she met him. It stands to reason that she made the journal entry that very night, and we saw how Zoey and Max's relationship evolved as the day progressed and they got to know each other better.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, funnygirl said:

That was her impression of Max from the first day, not the very first second she met him. It stands to reason that she made the journal entry that very night, and we saw how Zoey and Max's relationship evolved as the day progressed and they got to know each other better.  

Uh? I wasn’t talking about her not liking him initially. What doesn’t match is what she says about everyone other than Max. If that was her description of her first official day it could work but Max wouldn’t have been there at all. 

16 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I may be overthinking it - but I think that moment of Mitch "zoning out" was a foreshadowing of his illness. So that would be on top of everything else. If I recall, he was sick for a number of years, so it would possibly be around that time when he started showing the "minor" symptoms.

It looks like PSP is usually misdiagnosed as Parkinson's with severe disability within 3-5 years of onset. I'm guessing Mitch really hated going to the doctor if he died within a year or so of getting diagnosed, since people can live up to a decade from onset - https://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/patient-caregiver-education/fact-sheets/progressive-supranuclear-palsy-fact-sheet

• Useful 1
On 5/12/2021 at 5:29 PM, gibasi said:

And I thought they made Maggie and Mitch into some fairy tale couple that no other relationship can ever match. That would be cause for some therapy for Zoey! 

I know Zoey is an adult and not a five-year-old, but I don't know how aware she would be of any problems that existed within the marriage.  She isn't the most observant when it comes to emotions, so there may have been issues she didn't pick up on at the time. 

• Love 2