Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E09: Mike

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, Supagirl said:

I guess we’re back to Canada. I was liking the Las Vegas angle

The Vegas crowd tended to be isolated from family and friends. It made me more sympathetic. At least those people seemed to try to minimize the hurt to loved ones.

But now we’re back to Mike, who steals, uses people around him (I’m looking at you, grandma) and constantly causes chaos and bad feelings. Oh, and he apparently hasn’t been acquainted with the magical device called a condom. And in his “after” segment is talking about having a bunch of kids with Collette. Yes, when you have three kids already and are shaky in recovery, it’s great planning! I bet she was thinking just the same thing when he broke into the house!

Maybe I’m just too jaded by this show but I felt little sympathy for Mike—Especially after he left treatment after one day and invaded his girlfriend’s place. That’s someone who is not interested in a clean family life, despite all the big talk about how much he loves his kids.

• Love 9
(edited)

Totally agree @Pandora

My thoughts:

Mike’s grandfather didn’t look much older than his mom

And I’m just going to get this out up front, why in God’s name would the fiancé get pregnant by a man who is an unemployed drug addict? And continue to deal with him? He will never be any use to her or her kid being on drugs and unemployed.

The first girlfriend who had the two kids by him was smart to dump him as soon as she learned he was addicted to drugs.  

Mike seemed like he liked to party with hard drugs, which was easy since he had no supervision as a preteen/teen and was a bit spoiled. As a result, he got caught up. Thus, I didn’t agree with the interventionist when he said it wasn’t Mike’s fault that he’s an addict. To me that type of statement absolves Mike of any responsibility for his addiction, which is untrue. I got the impression that Mike had no desire whatsoever to get clean so I wasn’t surprised when he left treatment after a day. Unbelievable that he forced himself into Collette’s apartment when she rejected him. Not shocked at all that he ultimately failed in his recovery and immediately relapsed after the three months in rehab. I wonder if him remaining in treatment for the three months was a condition of his release from jail?  So he did the time required by the courts so that he wouldn’t get into more trouble, then returned to his true love the drugs and the streets.

Edited by Enero
  • Love 6

I’m glad my DVR did not cut off so that I saw the relapse after treatment screen.  

I had no sympathy for Mike.  He’s had consequences as an adult even though he didn’t have consequences as a child.  He didn’t learn the hard way and is now old enough to ‘know better’.  If you don’t learn anything after losing your first two children, and now your third... you aren’t going to.  He likes his addiction. 

I also had no sympathy for any of the rest of his family and his fiancée.  She also didn’t learn from Mike’s history and got pregnant anyway.  She’s also old enough to know better. 

• Love 7

Whatcha want to bet that Colette takes him back...eventually? She actively pursued an addict and chose to get pregnant. I got the impression she is objectifying him a bit - because he's handsome and charismatic she pursued him and is determined to have him.

Hope I'm wrong.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

Whatcha want to bet that Colette takes him back...eventually? She actively pursued an addict and chose to get pregnant. I got the impression she is objectifying him a bit - because he's handsome and charismatic she pursued him and is determined to have him.

Hope I'm wrong.

Well, I didn't have much sympathy for her, but to be fair I think he was clean when they met and got together.  Then she was too stupid to dump his ass for three years - even after she got pregnant.  

Hopefully him breaking into her apartment scared her completely off of him.  

• Love 2

Ugh. Well, I understand an addict who just really wants to be an addict, but to have no sense of concern or responsibility that you are bringing children into the world is another level. He is purposefully creating families and abandoning them. Doing zero to support them. That is some real narcissism. Which is to be expected, since Mom did everything to keep him happy all the time and never enforced any discipline or rules. He basically never grew up. Unfortunately if would take extensive counseling for him to understand that and to grow himself up, and he would need to be sober to do that, so, probably not gonna happen. 

Are we done with Vegas? I don't mind the Canada episodes, I was just hoping to see Ken again. I wouldn't blame him if he peaced out after that grueling marathon first episode. I was not super enamored with any of the new interventionists. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I was not super enamored with any of the new interventionists

Me neither. I assume that was because most of them ( other than the heavily tattooed one) were from Las Vegas and didn’t really do the family attended interventions the show is famous for.  I think they are used to talking to an addict one on one in a hospital or jail setting. I also don’t think they cared one way or another about the answer the addict was going to give. 
I miss Candy and Jeff.  

• Love 1

I can sympathize with Collette. My (then) fiance was addicted to Xanax and Adderall. After a year of worrying, stressing and losing my job over all of it, I broke up with him. We were separated for 4 months. He got clean. We got back together. 7 months later, he was still clean, no relapses. We got married and got pregnant with our baby girl. 4 years later, still sober, we have a great life together and he is a wonderful husband and father. I can see why Collette stayed with Mike, but I'm glad she chose to let him go. He's not ready to change. 

• Love 1

He was a puzzle to me. I get the sources of addiction, his was a physical dependency caused by medical malpractice, really. But he had so many good reasons to get over himself and get clean that I just don't understand what would prevent him from wanting to stop. He really was just a giant entitled baby. Man up, grow up and shut up. 

• Love 1

Mike’s BS was pretty clear from the start, so I was mostly watching for Collette. I wanted her to talk with HER therapist about why the hell this is what she chose. At the intervention, when she was giving her bottom line, she said “I can’t subject this innocent soul to the hell of your addiction.” I’m like, Collette, you already did! There’s no scenario here where the baby avoids the misery around this. If he dies tomorrow and she never even meets her dad, she’ll still always know he wasn’t willing to stay clean for her sake. That’s going to fuck her up. Maybe she’ll at least get to have a relationship with her sisters so they can all suffer Mike’s absence together.

Pregnancy aside, Collette was knowingly having unprotected sex with a dude shooting drugs in a homeless camp every day. That’s an HIV/hepatitis death wish before you even factor in the delusion that he could be trusted as a dad. I wonder if she has a family, or if they’ve all written her off over her addiction to Mike.

The one thing I respected Mike for was saying “I wanna say I’d do anything for my kids, but clearly I haven’t given up drugs for them.” Yep. That’s actually a pretty rare admission from addict parents on this show.

• Love 4