Type keyword(s) to search

Books vs. Show: Compare And Contrast

• Start Topic

Something is bothering me.  I've read the first book and never is the Darkling referred to as anything but the Darkling.  Why do you think he was given his name in the show?  For the first 1.5 episodes I kept wondering who Alexander Kirigan was until it finally occurred to me that that is his given name.  It wasn't until the 3rd episode that the title "the Darkling" is even mentioned, and that by a Fjerdan guy.

• Love 1

I wondered about that too. Maybe because they thought the name was a bit too much on the nose? I don't know, just reading 'Darkling' didn't actually make me think that the guy was evil, dubious maybe. But Darkling plus the visual of Ben Barnes clad in black leather is a lot to keep a neutral or at least ambiguous mind about the character. 

• Love 1

I haven't read the books so had no idea his given name wasn't used there. From my perspective, it seemed entirely fitting that the name and rank of this important general would be used in a military setting, with his less conventional moniker more of a whisper among the ranks. That seemed completely believable and made the character more grounded than if everyone called him by that nickname only.

• Love 2
On 4/30/2021 at 10:41 AM, MissLucas said:

I don't know, just reading 'Darkling' didn't actually make me think that the guy was evil, dubious maybe.

Not a reader of the books, but when I heard it on the show, I immediately thought such because I took it as a nod to the P.C. Hodgell fantasy series in which Perimal Darkling is the Big Bad. (I'm not giving away any twists in mentioning that as it is established upfront.)

On 5/1/2021 at 10:12 AM, Llywela said:

I haven't read the books so had no idea his given name wasn't used there. From my perspective, it seemed entirely fitting that the name and rank of this important general would be used in a military setting, with his less conventional moniker more of a whisper among the ranks. That seemed completely believable and made the character more grounded than if everyone called him by that nickname only.

Darkling is not a nickname, it's who he is. He creates darkness.

In the books only two people know his real name. We don't find out his name or his history for a very long time and it's very important and a big part of the story.

• Love 1