Type keyword(s) to search

The Chair in the Media: Both Peer and Non-Peer Reviewed

• Start Topic

So, just starting Ep 1 and went to IMDb to find who was ultimately David Morse. Since when is “top cast” delineated alphabetically?  Lord. Sandra Oh should be top of the top. Perhaps this is something cast decided? Otherwise smacks of disrespect. 

Edited by pennben
  • Love 1

Too much "forced" comedy for me.   Skip the slapstick. Troubled man driving golfcart...in troubled manner.  Troubled man falling into bushes.  Unhappy (but cute!) little girl:  unnecessary character. This show has possibilities, but ......................

Edited by Back Atcha
5 hours ago, Back Atcha said:
14 hours ago, SnarkShark said:

Not sure I want to watch this, but can someone explain Sandra's tragic, scary hair? 

I'd bet only Sandra can explain.  It IS a distraction.

It just looked like a take on professor hair to me. Holland Taylor's hair too.

• LOL 1

I questioned the show the first episode or two but then I was hooked. I thought they made the professor who's wife died a little too stupid and slapstick but that changed. My daughter is an English teacher and is friends with women who are English professors and many of this rings true.

I have 2 more episodes to go and know I will miss it and hope they have season 2. It has been given kudos from quite a few reviewers especially Asian and minority women who have lived through similar experiences.

On 8/20/2021 at 4:00 AM, pennben said:

So, just starting Ep 1 and went to IMDb to find who was ultimately David Morse. Since when is “top cast” delineated alphabetically?  Lord. Sandra Oh should be top of the top. Perhaps this is something cast decided? Otherwise smacks of disrespect. 

I think many times it is ok with cast. I've seen it in movies many times with big stars. Ego doesn't need that and since it is alphabetical there is not disrespect.

• Love 1
On 8/21/2021 at 3:11 PM, SnarkShark said:

Not sure I want to watch this, but can someone explain Sandra's tragic, scary hair? 

Perhaps not every woman has or wants to have or needs to have straight, flat-ironed, glossy -- a.k.a. white, upper middle class -- hair?

Edited by Corgi-ears
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, debraran said:

I thought they made the professor who's wife died a little too stupid and slapstick but that changed.

Enough?  Enough for those of us who cannot abide a Duplass...wherever it's planted?

On 8/20/2021 at 1:00 AM, pennben said:

So, just starting Ep 1 and went to IMDb to find who was ultimately David Morse.

I had to watch that balding portly character for awhile before I figured out who the actor was!  EGAD!

12 hours ago, Corgi-ears said:
On 8/21/2021 at 12:11 AM, SnarkShark said:

Perhaps not every woman has or wants to have or needs to have straight, flat-ironed, glossy -- a.k.a. white, upper middle class -- hair?

Good point...but SnarkShark's description is good.  The style is tragic and scary--distracting and unnecessary for any ethnicity or "class."

4 hours ago, Anela said:

I have tragic hair, so it didn't bother me.

Do you think it bothers your university students or professors in your department?  (Actually, it didn't bother me either)

Edited by Back Atcha
20 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Good point...but SnarkShark's description is good.  The style is tragic and scary--distracting and unnecessary for any ethnicity or "class."

Her hair wasn’t an unkempt frizzy mess. I thought it was just…curly.

• Love 6

Likely a show about an academic English department will stimulate writers to write about it, so here we go with a thread, just in case.

Here's an insightful article by Nicole Sperling in the New York Times on the making of the series: nytimes.com/2021/08/19/arts/television/the-chair-netflix-sandra-oh-amanda-peet.html
Including:

Spend a bit of time with any progressive teenager, and regardless of your trailblazing bona fides, you might quickly be reduced to a conservative fuddy-duddy. That was the experience the actress and writer Amanda Peet had when her now 14-year-old daughter questioned Peet’s commitment to feminism after she criticized a scantily clad TikToker.

...“This is the first time that I feel like I’ve played an Asian American character that was integrated in a way that I had not seen before, but I know is how we live,” [Oh] said...“This is the stuff that I’ve always wanted to explore.”

...Nana Mensah, who plays...Yaz...[a]t first...was leery of Peet’s ability to accurately depict a Black woman’s struggles within a predominantly white world. But after reading the scripts, she found their accuracy “staggering,” the issues “very smartly handled.”
...“I think what Amanda and the team got so right was that feeling of walking into a room and being outnumbered,” Mensah said. “The language around all of that can be very subtle. Nobody’s burning crosses in anybody’s front yard anymore.”

...An extra four months of writing time, the result of a pandemic pause, helped Peet get the nuances right. “When you can put something in a drawer for a little while, try not to think about it and then take it back out, it’s kind of incredible,” she said with a pause. “It’s incredible how much I realized it sucked.”

...Oh noted that the cast members Bob Balaban, Holland Taylor and Ron Crawford — all of whom are over 70 — were all working for weeks before the vaccine was available to them. The risk they faced added a layer of anxiety that matched the tension the writers were trying to depict in their portrayal of academia....

I always enjoy reading through some of the comments too.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

"The Chair Is a Pretty Accurate Portrayal of What It's Like to Be a Woman Professor of Color. That's Why It Can Be Painful to Watch"
      (time.com/6092072/the-chair-netflix-academia)

“Sandra Oh’s Masterly Performance of Empathy in 'The Chair'” 
     (newyorker.com/magazine/2021/08/30/sandra-ohs-masterly-performance-of-empathy-in-the-chair)

Full text is available from libraries with a Flipster database subscription, but the only really unique comment comes towards the end:

• image.png.1b133bcbb9fd820c2d3d4f3f5a42a5f3.png
Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

The Harvard PhD Turned Screenwriter Behind Netflix’s Hit ‘The Chair’

How Annie Julia Wyman transitioned from Cambridge to Hollywood and cocreated Netflix’s academic drama with Amanda Peet

The Chair is not a documentary. Anyone who has so much as set foot in a quadrangle could tell you that professors are lucky if their offices have windows, let alone the wood paneling or ample square footage of the rooms at Pembroke University. Nor do academic colleagues tend to have the live-wire chemistry of Sandra Oh and Jay Duplass, the stars who play two scholars caught in the crosshairs of campus controversy and institutional change. The six-episode Netflix series fits into a proud tradition of campus fiction, from Lucky Jim to Changing Places, and The Chair’s Pembroke—not to be confused with the University of North Carolina satellite or Brown’s erstwhile women’s college—is fictional in more ways than one.

[...] The Chair speaks to all-too-real anxieties among the intellectual set. {...} Much of that authenticity comes from cocreator Annie Julia Wyman, who has an unusual credential for a Hollywood screenwriter: a PhD from Harvard, where she earned her doctorate in 2017 after penning her dissertation on the comic novel. Wyman joined forces with Amanda Peet, who shares creator credit, when the actress and playwright reached out while researching her nascent concept for a workplace comedy set in an old-school English department. Peet met with plenty of professors during this fact-finding phase, but few who already had a pilot script in development, as Wyman did. Soon enough, Wyman went from potential consultant to full-blown collaborator.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1