Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: The Terror Within

(edited)

Aw, let Aiwei go, Su. I'm sure he'll come back in a few years to apologize and it'll all be water under the bridge, right? Wait, who am I kidding? Anyone who breaks the law should always face the consequences of their actions, what was I thinking?

Anyway, I love Varrick! I shouldn't love someone so gleefully amoral, but, damn it, the dude makes me laugh! I hope he isn't working with the bad guys. And how come we didn't get to see Zhu Li's interrogation?

I wish the fight during the attempted abduction had been longer and more than benders throwing elements at each other. I wish the combat were more intricate and dynamic like when Korra was sparring with that guy at the beginning of the episode. Instead the whole set piece was kind of boring, tbh.

Edited by steelyis

While I'm sure Suyin was genuinely betrayed, her actions at the end make me wonder if maybe she is in on it, at least to an extent.

Would the show do that, though? After all the drama, propping Su and her family, and belittling of Lin would they do that only to villainize Su at the last minute? I mean, it's definitely possible, and it'd be hell of a twist considering a lot of people really liked Su from the start and even sympathized with her after Old Wounds.

(edited)

I did think watching last week "Uh oh, she might be shady." But I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt because I don't want Toph's daughter to be evil(and after defending her in the boards, I hate being wrong. Dammit). Now though I think something is up with her.  Good news is Lin might be right all along. 

When I saw the bomb, I went "Oh shit!" I knew they weren't going to be killed off but it was still a shock.

Other thoughts:

Korra should let her hair down more.

Edited by VCRTracking
(edited)
While I'm sure Suyin was genuinely betrayed, her actions at the end make me wonder if maybe she is in on it, at least to an extent.

I definitely think she's in on some part of this.  She protested a bit too much, too stridently got hyped up when it was brought up as a possibility that someone in her own household could've let Zaheer and the others in, and wanted to prove her truthfulness a bit too quickly.  Wouldn't be surprised if the map she gave Korra was really to lead her, Mako, Bolin, and Asami into a trap.

Edited by Donny Ketchum

I really really hope that a Suyin isn't in on it. I'm tired of the "Good older sibling, evil younger sibling" dynamic that they always tend to go with in this show (Examples: Zuko/Azula, Iroh/Ozai, Tonraq/Unalaq, I think there's another one in there but I can't think of it at the moment) with the exception of Noatak/Tarrlok but that was more of an "Evil older brother/Slightly less evil younger brother" dynamic. I'm only counting instances of villains here, however. 

That being said (after seeing a spoiler image), I believe that Suyin at least has knowledge of them. I won't say more about it because I know how some folks feel about spoilers. However, I don't think she's evil. She just knows of them because she had encountered them in the past. I'll be extremely disappointed if she is evil.

That being said, it was a great episode. I just wish they had played the next episode but nooooo we had to get a Spongebob rerun instead. 

I really really hope that a Suyin isn't in on it. I'm tired of the "Good older sibling, evil younger sibling" dynamic that they always tend to go with in this show (Examples: Zuko/Azula, Iroh/Ozai, Tonraq/Unalaq, I think there's another one in there but I can't think of it at the moment) with the exception of Noatak/Tarrlok but that was more of an "Evil older brother/Slightly less evil younger brother" dynamic. I'm only counting instances of villains here, however.

With Amon (can't remember his real name), it was the opposite.

I've never been more convinced of Su's shadiness. It could because I don't like her but I found her behaviour very questionable in this episode, she's too quick to prove her innocence and send Korra away without Lin's protection. 

It might have been a nice touch lore wise if Korra didn't pick up metalbending as easily as she did water, fire and earth. She's lost her connection to the Avatar spirits (which I would really like to see some repercussions from) but more importantly it's something completely new, she has no past life experience in which to unconsciously draw on and that's how I thought the Avatar was able learn so quickly.     

I think that Korra's learning metal-bending so quickly was meant to be consistent with one of the main points of her character: she may be pretty bad at diplomacy, spirits, general avataring, etc, but when it comes to learning bending, she's a prodigy. I've read the creators likening her to a pro athlete when it comes to bending. The only thing she was blocked on was airbending, and once she was unblocked she had already mastered all the forms, she just had to add actual air to it. She's not a master of air yet, but then again it's hard to say what criteria she has to meet (Especially with Tenzin as the judge). Before Aang the Avatars were told they were the Avatar at 16, I believe, and spent what sounds like a decade or so mastering the three other elements. Korra was bending three our of four when she was discovered as a child, and was declared to have mastered three by the time the series starts (I think she's supposed to 17 or 18?).

• Love 1
(edited)

Huh, Su being selfish and irresponsible, leaving a mess for her older sister to clean: who would have thought it? I hate this impulsive, thirst-for-adventure-at-the-cost-of-a-well-thought-out-plan, even when the younger characters do it, but for heaven's sake, Su should know better - why does she keep behaving like a teen? 

I really really hope that a Suyin isn't in on it. I'm tired of the "Good older sibling, evil younger sibling" dynamic that they always tend to go with in this show

This case is different in that Su isn't evil as such (unless she's in on it with Aiwei, which I don't think she is). Su is a self-centred brat for whom her own needs come before consideration of others (her mother, her sister, the avatar's safety etc.). That doesn't make her evil though, just stupid and greedy.

Korra should let her hair down more.

Agreed!

Edited by lovedwallflower
  • Love 2

I have to keep reminding myself, kids show, kids show. Because Korra and the gang running off after a group that kicked their asses, plus the asses of an entire city of highly trained specialty benders, makes no damn sense at all. How about trying to figure out what the bad guys might want and why they're obsessed with the Avatar? The traveling portion of the show could be revisiting the prisons and finding out if the bad guys ever revealed little clues about their motives, which could be pieced together.

Oh, and how can Lin really, really, deep-down, think she can keep them save in her own city, when Tenzin's home has already been invaded by one of them, and with only a handful of benders? Or is she going to hide Korra in a city where she's not exactly popular, and which is dealing with all these new spirits and giant vines?

This show is beautiful but it makes no damn sense.

That being said (after seeing a spoiler image), I believe that Suyin at least has knowledge of them. I won't say more about it because I know how some folks feel about spoilers. However, I don't think she's evil. She just knows of them because she had encountered them in the past. I'll be extremely disappointed if she is evil.

That being said, it was a great episode. I just wish they had played the next episode but nooooo we had to get a Spongebob rerun instead. 

It's because it's gotten old at this point so I hope it's something new.

I have to keep reminding myself, kids show, kids show. Because Korra and the gang running off after a group that kicked their asses, plus the asses of an entire city of highly trained specialty benders, makes no damn sense at all. How about trying to figure out what the bad guys might want and why they're obsessed with the Avatar? The traveling portion of the show could be revisiting the prisons and finding out if the bad guys ever revealed little clues about their motives, which could be pieced together.

Oh, and how can Lin really, really, deep-down, think she can keep them save in her own city, when Tenzin's home has already been invaded by one of them, and with only a handful of benders? Or is she going to hide Korra in a city where she's not exactly popular, and which is dealing with all these new spirits and giant vines?

This show is beautiful but it makes no damn sense.

It took them 8 episodes before the plot finally got going and there's only 13 episodes for this book, this show has just been about Korra and the others going through subplots until the villains finally did their thing.