Type keyword(s) to search

Gadgets: Phones, Tablets, & Whatever Else They Come Up With Next!

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I have always used the screen protectors and they don’t have an effect on the phone action. I get the cheap ones from Amazon. Like 3 for $10. They’re very expensive at the apple store. 

The last time I used a screen protector was at least 20 years ago, when screen action wasn't always so good, mostly owing to the software. So maybe they'd work. It's just that I remember having trouble with this:

7 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

The only tricky part is the initial installation - you don't want the least bit of dust or air bubbles - but once it's on you're good to go. 

And it sounds like it's still an issue. 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

And it sounds like it's still an issue. 

For the cheap ones, yes. But there are some and I got it from Amazon, where you can place the  phone in a case and it applies it for you. Provides you with the cloth and stickers and wipes to remove the dust. I think mine was like $10.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
18 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

For the cheap ones, yes. But there are some and I got it from Amazon, where you can place the  phone in a case and it applies it for you. Provides you with the cloth and stickers and wipes to remove the dust. I think mine was like $10.

If you can find the link to it (probably under "orders" in your Amazon account?) please share.🙏

(edited)
On 3/1/2024 at 8:44 AM, shapeshifter said:

My iPhone 7+ is no longer able to be upgraded to the latest OS, which I know means eventually forums like this and online word games will lose bits of functionality. Plus, I could really use a better camera.

I have an iPhone 7 and just completed an upgrade to OS 15.8.1 with no problem. Could this be a bit newer model than yours? Am I going to be having the same issue soon?

I really love the size of the 7 and don't want to have to get a bigger phone just because I need to do updates to stay current...sigh. Obviously tech challenged here...

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 1
45 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I have an iPhone 7 and just completed an upgrade to OS 15.8.1 with no problem. Could this be a bit newer model than yours? Am I going to be having the same issue soon?

I really love the size of the 7 and don't want to have to get a bigger phone just because I need to do updates to stay current...sigh. Obviously tech challenged here...

I just wish they could make them lighter weight for aging hands doing crossword puzzles in the night.

My iPhone 7 Plus also recently upgraded to 15.8.1, but the newer iphones (11, 14, 15, etc.) are into OS 17.
But since they are pushing out these upgrades to 15, maybe we don't have to worry about it like in the old days when our older devices wouldn't work well with places like PrimeTimer, or even Amazon. 

Anyway, I just talked to an Apple person about newer models and now have a couple of email links waiting in case my phone dies and I just want to order one.  

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Anyway, I just talked to an Apple person about newer models and now have a couple of email links waiting in case my phone dies and I just want to order one.  

Just for older hands, even w/out the nighttime puzzles! I didn't realize the newer phones were that far ahead OS wise.

Could you share those links? I too want to be ready if my 7 up and dies on me. Or if I worry too much about it, and decide to just get a new one and at the same time switch to Consumer Cellular...

Thanks!

25 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Just for older hands, even w/out the nighttime puzzles! I didn't realize the newer phones were that far ahead OS wise.

Could you share those links? I too want to be ready if my 7 up and dies on me. Or if I worry too much about it, and decide to just get a new one and at the same time switch to Consumer Cellular...

Thanks!

The actual email links would be based upon me trading in my iPhone 7 Plus with prices "subject to change."
So here are links to the 2 phones in my emails, which I pulled off of the Apple site — one of which I would *probably* purchase if my phone stops functioning:
(maybe buy? I'm still interested in the SE 4 if it comes out before my current phone stops displaying things correctly or the battery dies)

But you should really call Apple and talk to them yourself, because these might not be best for you.
For instance, I chose the color red so I could more easily find it without having to use the Find My Phone app on my laptop when I misplace it, LOL.
But you may use colorful cases.

And your phone service provider might have a better deal.

Or, if you are near an Apple store, go have a look at them and hold them. I still hope to do that.

Regarding "older hands," my problem is decreasing strength and aches if I try to use them too much.
But I still have dexterity.
Yours could be the opposite.
And thank goodness I'm ambidextrous.

But then there's the whole eyesight issue! (My post-cataract surgery lens implants are not standard.)

But my youngest daughter and husband think I should get the newest model phone because it will last the longest — which would be the iPhone 15? 
💰 💸 💸💸

🤷🏻‍♀️

(edited)

Thanks!

From what little I know about new phones at this point, I think the SE is closest in size to the 7, I really don't want anything much larger.

LOL, I just looked at my storage capacity, I've had this phone since I think 2018 and I have only  used 27.5GB of the 128GBs I have.  Guess I'm not taking good advantage of my phones abilities! I do very little on it, a few calls, few texts, few photos, read emails and Kindle sometimes.

I'm almost embarrassed to say, I carry it all the time as my "Help I've Fallen..." device. I have balance issues and frequently fall. I did have to use my phone's emergency button in Dec 2022, when I fell and couldn't get up. The most embarrassing phone  call ever: "I've fallen and can't get up!" EMT's were here in less than 10 minutes!

Anyway, it is the only phone I have, so I do need it to be working so I have to plan ahead in case the 7 gives up on me.  My needs are few for the phone so don't need a lot of bells and whistles.

I learned some things in this discussion that I wasn't aware of re the upgrades. Glad we had this talk!!

Edited by Gramto6
dumb random periods
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
On 3/3/2024 at 1:19 PM, shapeshifter said:

I just wish they could make them lighter weight for aging hands doing crossword puzzles in the night.

My iPhone 7 Plus also recently upgraded to 15.8.1, but the newer iphones (11, 14, 15, etc.) are into OS 17.
But since they are pushing out these upgrades to 15, maybe we don't have to worry about it like in the old days when our older devices wouldn't work well with places like PrimeTimer, or even Amazon. 

My iPhone SE is upgraded to 17.3.1.  My old iPad mini is updated only to IOS 15 of some kind.  It's still working, albeit a bit sluggishly, so I'll wait to get a new one.  The new ones are so expensive!  I have the version with cellular service, because I do carry it around with me and need that connectivity.  That adds another $100 to the price. 

• Thanks 1
(edited)

Please recommend a film or protective glass for Samsung. Something durable. My daughter's screen is always scratched. When buying a phone, recommended film, I'm telling them: film quickly peels off. So they recommended a "super durable" one. Okay, two weeks later, part of it has already torn off. I have to buy something again. If you have any reliable product, I will be very grateful. And also, if you have a promotional code for a discount, such as promocodius, it would be great to use it when purchasing.

Edited by dani7141