Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
GHScorpiosRule

Gadgets: Phones, Tablets, & Whatever Else They Come Up With Next!

Recommended Posts

Can someone suggest an easy way to convert JPG files into files that will maintain its own individuality.  Each one of the images in the JPG files has a different number, however, I'm still have a problem.  I have discovered that when I email a image, like photo, that is in JPG files, even though, I attach them separately by number, when they arrive at the destination, the receiver is able to scroll through the images and up pops JPG files that I have on my computer, BUT THAT I DID NOT send as an attachment.  It's like they are secretly attached to those that I sent.  I've read about how they can be extended, but, I'm not sure how to overcome this.  

Share this post


Link to post

I've never seen anything like that happen, @SunnyBeBe.  You are saying that you e-mail someone let's say 4 JPG images, but they get more than that?  That's odd behavior.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I've never seen anything like that happen, @SunnyBeBe.  You are saying that you e-mail someone let's say 4 JPG images, but they get more than that?  That's odd behavior.

Yes! I have confirmed it.  I suppose I may just have to retain an expert, since no one seems to know much about it.   I just hate to pay likely $150. for them to give me a simple answer. lol  Or, they may not know how to remedy it. lol  Here's an article that I was viewing that seems to be on the right track.  I might try some of their suggestions.  They don't address my exact issue, but, I think it's all related. 

 

https://www.lifewire.com/jpg-jpeg-file-4139913

Edited by SunnyBeBe

Share this post


Link to post

I have another question that I hope someone may know something about. When doing Track Changes in Word.  If you want to show your desire that a sentence be deleted, so you delete, which marks the sentence in red, (now redlined)....how do you later change it, if you change your mind and want to let it stand back the way it was, before you red lined it?  (Now the sentence is there, but, has a red line through it.  I want it to return to how it looked originally, without the red line through it.  I want the rest of the document to retain the red line mark up though. I've looked on You tube, but, they don't address my specific issue. 

Share this post


Link to post

Right click on the sentence and select "reject deletion."

I am on a Windows machine.

Edited by auntlada · Reason: Specifying computer type.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, auntlada said:

Right click on the sentence and select "reject deletion."

I am on a Windows machine.

I'll try that.  I contacted Microsoft and they said that it couldn't be done, after I had saved it. Oh well...I'll try your suggestion. THANK YOU!

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'll try that.  I contacted Microsoft and they said that it couldn't be done, after I had saved it. Oh well...I'll try your suggestion. THANK YOU!

This may be more complicated if what @auntlada suggested doesn't work. Email it to yourself, then reject that particular track change; and resave it. Then continue on? I've found I've got to improvise and get creative when it comes to Word.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I don't know why Microsoft would tell you that, @SunnyBeBe. I do it all the time after I save a document. You can always choose to accept or reject a tracked change. After you have accepted the deletion and saved, it's gone, however, I think. But if you haven't accepted the change, it is still there to accept or reject.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Okay.  I'm working on it Sunday and I'll try your suggestion.  I don't know why they said that either.  I googled my question a bunch though and was not able to find a solution online, including You tube, which I thought was odd. 

Share this post


Link to post

I'm in the market for some noise cancelling over the ear headphones that won't break the bank. I don't care if they are Bluetooth or wired. I want them to block out jet engines and crying babies when I'm playing music. I'm thinking about these but am open to suggestions to a good pair that won't break the bank.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/4/2018 at 10:25 PM, theredhead77 said:

I'm in the market for some noise cancelling over the ear headphones that won't break the bank. I don't care if they are Bluetooth or wired. I want them to block out jet engines and crying babies when I'm playing music. I'm thinking about these but am open to suggestions to a good pair that won't break the bank.

Yeah, that sounds like a great idea. I want some too! 

Auntlada, THANK YOU, for that tip.  It WORKED PERFECTLY.  So much for Microsoft's tech support. They were wrong. We chatted online. He told me the solution was to back up everything.....well....maybe, he's new. lol   I also spoke with an experienced paralegal who didn't know how to do it either!  ODD. I'm glad that I was able to fix the problem.   So simple for future purposes. 

Share this post


Link to post

I now know how to use the Reject option, but, how does the Accept work?  Would the creator of the document,  who is reviewing the redline changes that I made be the one to Accept of leave the changes?  So, that since I am the person requesting changes, I would forward the document with my saved redlined changes to the creator of the document for her review.  She would then accept them or not?  Is that correct? 

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/4/2018 at 10:25 PM, theredhead77 said:

I'm in the market for some noise cancelling over the ear headphones that won't break the bank. I don't care if they are Bluetooth or wired. I want them to block out jet engines and crying babies when I'm playing music. I'm thinking about these but am open to suggestions to a good pair that won't break the bank.

That's a lot of good reviews. It seems like you wouldn't go wrong with those headphones based on the quality/value ratio. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I now know how to use the Reject option, but, how does the Accept work?  Would the creator of the document,  who is reviewing the redline changes that I made be the one to Accept of leave the changes?  So, that since I am the person requesting changes, I would forward the document with my saved redlined changes to the creator of the document for her review.  She would then accept them or not?  Is that correct? 

Yes. If you are making changes in redline; the person you are sending the document to will either accept or reject the changes. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Great.  

One more question.  How do I remove the large right margin designated for comments?  

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Great.  

One more question.  How do I remove the large right margin designated for comments?  

Are there comments there? Usually, when a document is in "track changes" mode, there will be a gray large right margin, which will disappear after changes are rejected and/or accepted. At least, that's how it's been for me.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Are there comments there? Usually, when a document is in "track changes" mode, there will be a gray large right margin, which will disappear after changes are rejected and/or accepted. At least, that's how it's been for me.

No, there are no notes written in the tracked changes margin. It's just empty space.  I made changes in the document that are redlined.  I want those to stay, but, the right margin to leave, because, when I print the document, it's small due to the right margin being there.  I will not be accepting, since it's not my document. I am forwarding to the creator of the document to see what she thinks of my redlined changes. 

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

No, there are no notes written in the tracked changes margin. It's just empty space.  I made changes in the document that are redlined.  I want those to stay, but, the right margin to leave, because, when I print the document, it's small due to the right margin being there.  I will not be accepting, since it's not my document. I am forwarding to the creator of the document to see what she thinks of my redlined changes. 

Like I said, for me, that "empty" space will remain there until the changes are either accepted or rejected. I've never been able to remove them. But they disappeared after I've accepted changes in a redline document and resaved it as the new master or new version x.

Share this post


Link to post

Okay.  I saw a video that shows you can click on Delete comments and that works, but, when you reopen it, the margin reappears. 

Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I now know how to use the Reject option, but, how does the Accept work?  Would the creator of the document,  who is reviewing the redline changes that I made be the one to Accept of leave the changes?  So, that since I am the person requesting changes, I would forward the document with my saved redlined changes to the creator of the document for her review.  She would then accept them or not?  Is that correct? 

That's how it should work, but you may have to tell the recipients how to accept and reject changes.

If you have comments or formatting changes, the side margin will be there. If a comment is on a to-be-deleted section and the deletion is accepted, the comment will still be there and will have to be deleted by itself. Once all comments and formatting changes have been deleted and accepted or rejected, the bigger margin should disappear.

If the formatting has to do with a space and no text, it can be hard to find. Adding spaces alone can be hard to find as well if you are dealing with changes individually.

Edited by auntlada
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

@SunnyBeBe it also depends on what "view" you're in... if you go to the review tab and change to Simple Markup the right margin will go away for you. It's there to show things deleted as well as comments depending on how you're viewing track changes. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you all.  It's been quite helpful. 

Could I revisit a completely separate issue that I posted about here upthead some time ago?  I'll try to find it. It involves images saved in separate JPG files.  Moose135 tried to help me, but, I was slammed at the time.  The problem is that even though I have the photos saved as separate JPG files with separate numbers, when I click on them to send as an email attachment, somehow, other JPG files ALSO attach and are sent along with it.  So that if the recipient clicks to look at the photos, they not only get the ones that I sent them, but, other photos with different JPG numbers that are on my computer.  I know this happens, because I have tested it. I have stopped sending any photos, due to this problem.  I know it sounds bizarre.  I've done research on it and apparently, there is some kind of grouping that bands them together.  Have you ever heard of it? 

Edited by SunnyBeBe

Share this post


Link to post

HELP!!!!!

I know I haven't been here for awhile, but I need some assistance because like I've said before, I'm a technoturd. Anyhoo. I finally invested and got a great deal on the Amazon Fire Stick. Here's my question. Presently, the HDMI2 port, where I can play my bluray player is the port for my stick. So, will I have to unplug that when I want to stream via Fire stick, and then unplug it and plug in my bluray player for when I want to watch, well my movies I have on dvd/bluray? I'm thinking yes, right?

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

 I'm thinking yes, right?

Assuming HDMI1 is the home to the cable box, and there is no HDMI3 or 4, then yes. There is probably a way to connect the Blu-ray using component cables (red, blue, green and another for sound) but that costs more money and probably isn’t worth it unless you frequently use it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

Assuming HDMI1 is the home to the cable box, and there is no HDMI3 or 4, then yes. There is probably a way to connect the Blu-ray using component cables (red, blue, green and another for sound) but that costs more money and probably isn’t worth it unless you frequently use it. 

Thanks. I can unplug/plug until I get a new teevee with more than two ports.☺️ No way am I going to do the wires thing. 

Share this post


Link to post

@GHScorpiosRule, You can connect both the blu-ray and fire stick with a switcher. This is the one I have. You connect the HDMI cable from the TV into the switch box, then connect the blu ray player into one port on the switch box and the Fire Stick into the other. I have a Roku rather than the Amazon stick, but this works for me. The box comes with a little remote so you can switch between devices.

ETA: If the link is not working, this is the device: Dinger HDMI Switch, 3 Port HDMI Switch with Remote Control and AC Power Adapter, HDMI Switches Supports 4K, 1080P, 3D

Edited by ABay
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, ABay said:

@GHScorpiosRule, You can connect both the blu-ray and fire stick with a switcher. This is the one I have. You connect the HDMI cable from the TV into the switch box, then connect the blu ray player into one port on the switch box and the Fire Stick into the other. I have a Roku rather than the Amazon stick, but this works for me. The box comes with a little remote so you can switch between devices.

ETA: If the link is not working, this is the device: Dinger HDMI Switch, 3 Port HDMI Switch with Remote Control and AC Power Adapter, HDMI Switches Supports 4K, 1080P, 3D

Thanks!!!! Link worked and I just ordered it!!!😁 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Dammit. The switchbox won't work. The end that's supposed to go into the back of my tv isn't shaped like the HDMI--so I'll just have to settle for unplugging/plugging. And there was fine print that it's not compatible with Comcast or Xfinity, and I have that, so there you go. Phooey.

Share this post


Link to post

Huh. I also have Comcast/Xfinity. The switch box has standard HDMI ports...did it come with a mutant cable that won't attach to your TV? I can't remember if I had to buy a cable or two to connect devices.

Mine is set up thusly:

HDMI Out on Roku to HDMI In on box.

HDMI Out on Blu ray to HDMI In on box.

HDMI Out on box to HDMI In on TV.

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, ABay said:

Huh. I also have Comcast/Xfinity. The switch box has standard HDMI ports...did it come with a mutant cable that won't attach to your TV? I can't remember if I had to buy a cable or two to connect devices.

Mine is set up thusly:

HDMI Out on Roku to HDMI In on box.

HDMI Out on Blu ray to HDMI In on box.

HDMI Out on box to HDMI In on TV.

I can do the first two--HDMI Out on Firestick to the box and and bluray. But the power cord from box to tv? the one that goes into the tv? is shaped like a flat regular ole usb, and the two HDMI ports on the back of my teevee are HDMI ports; no port for the flat usb. Maybe I can find another switch box that has an HDMI shaped port that goes into the teevee.

Why does Technology HATE MEEEE????

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Can you try a cable with HDMI on both ends? 

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, ABay said:

Can you try a cable with HDMI on both ends? 

That's what I need! cable with HDMI on both ends, or rather, the end that's supposed to go into the TeeVee. Like I said up thread, I am not gonna try and get those component wires in red, blue, green, yellow, whatever and go through the frustration that I did when using those things back in the VCR days!

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

That's what I need! cable with HDMI on both ends, or rather, the end that's supposed to go into the TeeVee. Like I said up thread, I am not gonna try and get those component wires in red, blue, green, yellow, whatever and go through the frustration that I did when using those things back in the VCR days!

Ah, coaxial cables...do not miss them.  You can find HDMI cables anywhere, or even a converter that attaches the USB end of the cable you have into an HDMI connector. Like those doodads you can get to make a 3 prong plug fit a two hole outlet.

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, ABay said:

Ah, coaxial cables...do not miss them.  You can find HDMI cables anywhere, or even a converter that attaches the USB end of the cable you have into an HDMI connector. Like those doodads you can get to make a 3 prong plug fit a two hole outlet.

I find it hilarious when talking technology, how my usage of the English language devolves into using words such as thingies, doohickies, thingamabobs, whatchamacallits, and doodads!😜😄😆

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I find it hilarious when talking technology, how my usage of the English language devolves into using words such as thingies, doohickies, thingamabobs, whatchamacallits, and doodads!😜😄😆

"Thingie" and the other terms you posted are all technical terms. You can trust me, I spent nearly 2 decades in IT.

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

"Thingie" and the other terms you posted are all technical terms. You can trust me, I spent nearly 2 decades in IT.

Well, the things you learn! Now I don't feel like I'm dumbing myself down! I only ever use those terms when I'm blanking on the correct name!

Share this post


Link to post

Okay @ABay, what do you call those doodads that I can connect to the flat end usb port so that I get an HDMI port I can plug to the back of my TeeVee? I've been going nuts trying to find another switchbox, but I've seen nothing but "it's crap" "don't waste your money" for those that come with the HDMI cable that I can plug into the teevee, but no remote control. I will admit, I like the one that you gave the link to, above. And where can I get one? 

I'm wondering if I shouldn't just go into a Best Buy, Target, whatever and see if they have one?

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post

@GHScorpiosRule, it would be an adapter but all of the ones I see on Amazon are the opposite of what you need. Does the USB cable have an HDMI end connected to the switchbox? If so, I'd pick up a standard HDMI-at-both-ends cable and use that instead. Otherwise, you might need to take a trip to Best Buy or Staples or something like that.

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, ABay said:

@GHScorpiosRule, it would be an adapter but all of the ones I see on Amazon are the opposite of what you need. Does the USB cable have an HDMI end connected to the switchbox? If so, I'd pick up a standard HDMI-at-both-ends cable and use that instead. Otherwise, you might need to take a trip to Best Buy or Staples or something like that.

Yup, that's what I found when my brain remembered it's an adapter I need, and yes, every.single.search, just gives me the OPPOSITE of what I need! I need a thingie to stick the flat usb port into, and the other side of the adapter should be the HDMI "stick" I plug into the back of my teevee. The switchbox you linked above, has the usb port as part of the power cord. That is, the teeny tiny usb, goes into the box, and the other end of that cable is the usb port instead of an HDMI port! AARRRRGHHHH!!!! It's off to Best Buy I go! or NewEgg.

But thanks for all your help! And for the giggles!

Share this post


Link to post

After reading the descriptions of the challenges for finding the correct connection cables and so forth, damn it, I need a time machine to take me to a future in which things really will be wireless. That is, no having to plug in appliances, electronics, etc. to a power source; no jungle of cables connecting cable boxes, TVs, laptops, etc. to each other. Just the ability to speak into the air and tell any given device what to do. 

Similarly frustrating, several times a day I have to go in and turn on my mother’s TV because she has managed to fuck up the settings by pressing random buttons on the remote until she accidentally turns off the cable box. Ordered one of those “senior-friendly” remotes for her but can’t get it to sync with the cable system, which is a major cable provider. 

  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, BookWoman56 said:

After reading the descriptions of the challenges for finding the correct connection cables and so forth, damn it, I need a time machine to take me to a future in which things really will be wireless. That is, no having to plug in appliances, electronics, etc. to a power source; no jungle of cables connecting cable boxes, TVs, laptops, etc. to each other. Just the ability to speak into the air and tell any given device what to do. 

Heh. J.D. Robb's In Death Series takes you to 2059, where you do just that==tell the 'puter what to do, what you want, no cables or wires, etc. No time machine, but it will transport you in your mind?

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
48 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Heh. J.D. Robb's In Death Series takes you to 2059, where you do just that==tell the 'puter what to do, what you want, no cables or wires, etc. No time machine, but it will transport you in your mind?

Now I'm picturing this:

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Does anyone have a phone tracking/sharing location that works equally well for iPhone and Android? Not in a creepy way but my boyfriend has an android so we can’t use the share location function on the iPhone which we both always found handy. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

my boyfriend has an android so we can’t use the share location function on the iPhone which we both always found handy. 

Boyfriend could get an iPhone or you can find a new boyfriend with one...

😜

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Boyfriend could get an iPhone or you can find a new boyfriend with one...

😜

He needs an Android for his new job and after 15+years with him I have grown quite fond so neither of these option works which is also a problem I have found for many tracking apps which led to my question!

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Not sure this is the right thread for this, but...

i am looking for a “book light” type of thing to illuminate a workstation in a dark room.  Any  recs?

Background info:  I sit with the kids until they fall asleep.  I usually web surf on my iPad, but I am getting tired of the internet and would also like to model “coloring” for the kid who hates crayons and may have handwriting issues as a result.  So, I bought an adult coloring book and some coloring pens and pencils and plan on doing that during our bedtime routine.  Now, I need to illuminate it, while keeping the rest of the room dim.  

Other factoid: I’m very sensitive to light.  It can’t flicker and can’t be weird like fluorescent lights and some bluish leds.

Share this post


Link to post

As much as I love technology sometimes, I HATE technology! Yes, Yes, I realize that I've just contradicted myself, but after yesterday, I'm ready to pull out all my hair and wish I lived when all this fandangled technology didn't surround me!

Here's the thing. I purchased a 7th generation refurbished nano ipod last year--it's wonderful. I love it. I listened to all my music on it while I was doing contract work for most of 2018 before I got my current job. Then I haven't had time to use it, until a couple months ago. There's this one track--song, which I LOVE. Now, all of a sudden, after the first two lines, it stops. It's a song from a very classic Bollywood movie circa 1978. 

So I synched up the nano with itunes to see if that would fix it. nope. But the weird thing is, the same song on my iphone? This song plays with no issues.

So, I call Apple Support, and the first person I spoke to informed I may have to restore the nano. That might fix it. So, when I go home, I call them back, because I'm a techno turd and I don't want to erase anything that can't be un-erased. The first person I spoke to was a moron. She was nice enough, but the longer we spoke, the less sense she made.

Like how iTunes' new software doesn't support any of Apple's other products, be it iPod, shuffle, or nano. So, I won't be able to restore this one song, because, she repeated, the software won't support the nano.

But. I said. it worked fine before. So are you saying, if I uninstall and repurchase, it still won't work? Her answer: Yep. Well, then, what are my options? Will I not be able to purchase any more tunes for my nano? Her response was to transfer me to a supervisor because I, clearly an idiot, couldn't understand what she was trying to tell me (I still don't).  The "supervisor" was nice enough. But guess what? His computer kept crashing after 10 seconds and our call would get disconnected. Before it did, he said, it could be the FORMAT of the song wasn't supported by the nano. I told him, it did BEFORE. What's changed? Since the software that doesn't support the nano is NOT installed in the nano, but still has the old software, and the song played perfectly fine THEN. disconnect. He called back and told me he'd transfer me to another supervisor since his 'puter kept crashing.

No one called me back.

So. I just went to iTunes and bought the album/soundtrack. The first one was a double--two movies with two soundtracks, but I had only downloaded the three songs from the second movie. This time I lucked out and found the soundtrack for just this movie, and guess what? All the songs work FINE. So this techno turd resolved the issue on her own.

BUT. Because there's always a BUT with me. Said albums I purchased and was able to sync to my nano, didn't make it to my iPhone! I synched that sucker, too.  And backed it up. Nuthin'.

I went to iTunes on my phone, did a search for the album in question---say I already purchased it, yet it's not in my music library. GAH! I synhed and backed up again. Nuthin' again.

So I called Apple this morning. The guy I spoke to was very nice. When I told him we couldn't test my phone at work, he emailed me the directions. I told him of my experience last night and what the first person told me. He informed me, that she was WRONG about purchasing tunes to play on the nano--even if said nano isn't supported by iTunes' software--which was wrong. He said only first generation AppleTV or something. I had to end the call since I was at work.

But Jeebus FUCKING CHRIST on a Cracker! I just want to listen to my Golden Oldies from Classic Bollywood films! 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

@GHScorpiosRule

I have a similar situation with a song I purchased via iTunes a while back for my iPod Touch 4th gen.  It played as it should start to finish as it should for a while then it started to act up.  The tune would play a couple of seconds then go on to the next track.  I never really pursued trying to fix the problem as each time I was at the gym working out and I’d forget about it.  This tune was part of a movie soundtrack - when I purchased it I also bought another tune from the same soundtrack and that one has never had any problems.  

So reading your story today motivated me to check that tune again.  It’s not even in my iTunes library online nor on my current 6th gen iPod Touch but it is still on my ancient 4th gen device still acting up - I suspect it was on my current device when I first synched it from the old device but somewhere along the way it was removed from my library and device during a backup.  

I’ve never gone to Apple support about this but your story tells me I won’t have much luck.  I’m pretty sure I played the tune enough to get my 99 cents worth anyway.  This kind of stuff reinforces my opinion that it’s probably best that if you’re willing (and can find) just get the CD and go through the added steps to get it on the device.   

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...