Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
GHScorpiosRule

Gadgets: Phones, Tablets, & Whatever Else They Come Up With Next!

@GHScorpiosRule

It sounds like those idiots that I talked to about my XFinity cable box have gone to work at Apple/iTunes.

Sympathies.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Laugh 2

Anyone want to swap info? 

FYI to anyone here in a situation similar to my trifecta of obsolete devices (not counting the TV and DVR, which are even older):

I have: 

• iPhone 5c  
  • and an iPad Mini original (circa 2012)
    (Apple not supporting either for last several years, so now Apps and websites starting to lose functionality too, e.g., no more Hulu on the Mini)

• and a Lenovo laptop T500 from 2009 running Windows 7 (MicroSoft will not support after end of year and don't think it can handle Windows 10, plus hard drive might be failing, 2nd battery is nearly dead, and it weighs over 8 lbs.)

--and I have just entered the land of fixed income--hopefully supplemented by freelance gigs, but nothing sustainable as of yet.

So, I've been shopping around online, and I love the young folks working in Best Buy, which is where I just learned (from a Best Buy guy who is majoring in Computer Science and had a MicroSoft guest lecturer) that:

MicroSoft's goal is to market the Surface line to be equivalent to Apple's --meaning that the Surface laptops will have support phased out sooner, like the Apple OS's are. In other words, not for the budget conscious, unless you factor, say, $500/year into a computer hardware budget. 😝

And the Surface price is very similar to the Mac prices. Also, the tech person at the place where I worked for the last 18 years says that she is ready to convert from Mac to PC because of the Surface.

I'm leaning towards

• maybe a Lenovo Yoga, but a daughter had one crap out the day after the 1-year warranty was up, but the Best Buy guy says that different models are better (the higher the model number, the better, apparently).
  • and maybe the biggest refurbished phone I can afford to replace both the phone and iPad Mini.

Sorry if this is TMI, but any input is welcome. 

@shapeshifter what do you use your laptop for and what do you use your tablet for?

That will make all the difference in what you truly need vs what the guy at Best Buy says you need.

10 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

@shapeshifter what do you use your laptop for and what do you use your tablet for?

That will make all the difference in what you truly need vs what the guy at Best Buy says you need.

Yes, we discussed this in detail.
I might or might not be doing illustrations with huge PhotoShop files, and the Best Buy kid works with huge video files, so he understood. 

The tablet just needs to be functional for mostly recreational stuff and some document access. 

Just now, shapeshifter said:

The tablet just needs to be functional for mostly recreational stuff and some document access. 

The Samsung line of Galaxy tablets is pretty budget friendly. I had one for years and only moved over to an iPad because I got a kick-ass deal on it.

• Useful 1

We have a Samsung Galaxy that we got for free when my boyfriend upgraded his phone a few years ago and it works great and has held up well.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Not sure this is the right thread, but robot vacuum cleaners with wi-fi are gadgets, right? I finally broke down and bought a Roomba. It’s still teaching itself how to maneuver around my first floor, but I definitely see the advantages of maintenance vacuuming instead of letting the dog and cat fur pile up, especially under the couch and so forth. I really like being able to schedule cleanings, and being able to control the device itself using my phone. Now I’m considering getting the robot mopping device, the iRobot Braava jet. I love having tile floors, but mine are fairly light and really show any spills or whatever, that the vacuum will not get. For various reasons, time is always pretty tight, and I would like to cut down on any cleaning activities that can be done more efficiently by an automated process. Plus, downstairs is around 1800sf of mostly tile, which is a lot to mop by hand. 

Does anyone have any experience using the Braava? Any recommendations as to which model? It looks like a robot version of a swiffer. 

I'm starting to think whatever the this latest version of Windows with one drive and microsoft edge might be the closest thing to the nightmare that was Windows Vista to ever exist.

My home computer has it but I don't do that much with it so its efforts to default open and save to the worst location/feature/whatever possible is just mildly irritating.

My work computer which was set up by actual IT folks drives me to want to throw it against a wall on a daily basis.  Sometimes twice daily.  I wrote a helpdesk ticket today that is probably going to get passed around as the most entertaining (or annoying) thing they've ever seen.  It basically starts out with.... how do you resolve an issue that my new computer technically works but is totally inefficient.  followed by examples like the mouse does this and the keyboard does that and it seems like there is not enough memory and why is it saving there and why does it do this and that and the other thing.  my old computer did do this, that, and the other thing.

• Laugh 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ParadoxLost said:

I'm starting to think whatever the this latest version of Windows with one drive and microsoft edge might be the closest thing to the nightmare that was Windows Vista to ever exist.

My home computer has it but I don't do that much with it so its efforts to default open and save to the worst location/feature/whatever possible is just mildly irritating.

My work computer which was set up by actual IT folks drives me to want to throw it against a wall on a daily basis.  Sometimes twice daily.  I wrote a helpdesk ticket today that is probably going to get passed around as the most entertaining (or annoying) thing they've ever seen.  It basically starts out with.... how do you resolve an issue that my new computer technically works but is totally inefficient.  followed by examples like the mouse does this and the keyboard does that and it seems like there is not enough memory and why is it saving there and why does it do this and that and the other thing.  my old computer did do this, that, and the other thing.

Maybe bake/buy cookies for the IT guy/gal?

Does anyone here know if an Amazon Fire tablet works with these forums? 
My first generation iPad Mini is turning into an unsupported brick while my budget is seriously curtailed.

@shapeshifter, I have an HD Fire Kindle that's a few years old and have no problem reading and posting to the forums on it.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ABay said:

@shapeshifter, I have an HD Fire Kindle that's a few years old and have no problem reading and posting to the forums on it.

Is it an 8 or a 10, and do you watch Hulu or Netfix with it?

A friend said the video on hers is not that clear.

Thanks!

Edited by shapeshifter

@shapeshifter, it's an 8 and I do watch Netflix on it (don't have Hulu). I haven't noticed any particular problems with the image quality, if anything, it's sharper than my TV. Of course, the screen in very small so watching anything with subtitles is difficult.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, ABay said:

@shapeshifter, it's an 8 and I do watch Netflix on it (don't have Hulu). I haven't noticed any particular problems with the image quality, if anything, it's sharper than my TV. Of course, the screen in very small so watching anything with subtitles is difficult.

One more question: Do you have the 16GB or the 32GB?

I'm not sure, but it might open apps faster with the 32 (one reviewer complained that it was slow).

Thanks again!

Hi, 

I'm hoping someone can help me with the predicament I am in. For starters I'm not massively into photography so I'm not too savvy with photography acronyms and camera specs. I mainly use my camera for bird ID rather than for artistic purposes, especially when I'm abroad as it's easier to have a photo to ID than just a memory.

Now the issue...

A few years ago I managed to acquire an old Olympus e400 DSLR, with a Sigma 50-500mm lens, and have had some pretty decent results. The drawbacks being the setup is quite heavy and I'm not the most careful, and now the camera is giving up (blue line through photos & saying card cover open intermittently when its not!). 

After a friends advice, (not into bird photography) today I went and bought a Panasonic FZ1000 bridge camera, took it out this evening and was not too happy with the results, the zoom wasn't sufficient, and had much better results with my old setup. Although it was better not having a massive lens hanging around my neck for hours. So it's going back tomorrow.

With £500 to spend what's best idea?

a) Compact/bridge camera with a massive zoom.

b) Try to find a decent old/second-hand Olympus 4/3 camera (I have read they are no longer manufactured). Also was the E400 a decent spec camera for a 4/3 lens?

c) Quit photography and stick to bino's and memory.

d) Buy a new micro 4/3 camera and an adapter thing to take the sigma lens, if that's possible, which I think it might be.

e) None of the above, but one of your suggestions.

Any help would be great, I saw a lot of good cameras, but i want to hear your opinion.
Cheers,

Denis.

15 hours ago, Quies said:

Any help would be great, I saw a lot of good cameras, but i want to hear your opinion.
Cheers,

Paging @Moose135

• Like 2