Type keyword(s) to search

SE2.E06: Just the Two of Us

• Start Topic

Alicia and Denise realize they’ve been boxed into Black women stereotypes at the law firm, and Harrison’s attempts to help ends up causing more harm. Meanwhile, Paul worries his new job is taking time away from spending time with the kids, so he makes an overzealous effort to connect with each one individually.

Original air date: 3/2/21

One thing I didn't really get was Paul saying he didn't get to spend as much time with the kids now that he's at school all day. He wouldn't be spending that time with the kids anyway since they are at school during the same hours. It would be one thing if he had a job where all of his hours were in the afternoon/evening when the kids were actually home, but his work schedule aligns with their school schedule.

His reaction to finding his friend in his house drinking his beer and putting random stuff on the shopping list was great though. Even hippies need boundaries, Paul. Just say no!

His idea to spend individual time with each of the kids was good in theory, but Paul was acting like he suddenly didn't know any of his kids or how to interact with them. Paul might not be perfect but one thing he's always been pretty good at is being able to talk to the kids on their level and understanding them, so it made no sense that he suddenly had no idea that winning Candyland or pretending to lose was how to spend some time with Santi. I did laugh at Paul realizing that Rainbow's blissed out state was because she was staring at the cute boy at the pizza place.

I love both of my sisters but I don't know how long we would last if we worked together all day, especially if one of us was the boss of the other, so kudos to Denise and Alicia for making it work. Sometimes when you're very close with someone, it can be hard to maintain a professional relationship (see: reverting to childhood roles of big/little sister which results in both of you calling your mom while at work).

• Love 6

Dee is okay but most times she gets on my nerves. If I had a sibling who acted like she at work; not taking notes properly and hindering me from doing my job, she would've been fired. Dee should be lucky she has a job at the firm.

• Love 2
(edited)

Harrison putting up giant "Don't Talk to Denise" signs all around her cubicle was hilarious. I am glad we finally got to explore the new office dynamics with Denise working with Alicia and they used that to explore the roles of black women in the work place and the issues they deal with. The "No Mammies" game show was one hell of a combination of cringe and comedy.

The story with Paul seemed a bit off, its not like Paul doesn't already spend a lot of time with the kids or doesn't know them well enough to know what they like. His interactions with the kids were funny though, especially Bow's horror when the cut boy at the pizza place came over and Paul got all dad about it. 

This isn't the commune anymore Paul, you can have some things that are just yours. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Even hippies need boundaries, Paul. Just say no!

I know this quote is about his friend, but it applies to the kids too.  Paul is trying to be the cool parent too hard.

7 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

The story with Paul seemed a bit off, its not like Paul doesn't already spend a lot of time with the kids or doesn't know them well enough to know what they like. His interactions with the kids were funny though, especially Bow's horror when the cut boy at the pizza place came over and Paul got all dad about it. 

That first scene with them ignoring Paul then telling him to leave because he was bothering their tv watching had me wondering how many of us watching this thought that the tv would have been snapped off and off limits for a least a week if any of us spoke to our folks like that.

Only the interaction with Bow at the pizza parlor was amusing to me.  It is a classic tween/parent event.  The one with Johan was again him trying to hard to be a friend then over correcting with “he can’t be your friend” nonsense.  (The skate ramp was dangerous though)  I am so tired of Santi and her creepy child/bratty half-pint (tm TV tropes), I’m tired of that trope overall.

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Harrison putting up giant "Don't Talk to Denise" signs all around her cubicle was hilarious. I am glad we finally got to explore the new office dynamics with Denise working with Alicia and they used that to explore the roles of black women in the work place and the issues they deal with. The "No Mammies" game show was one hell of a combination of cringe and comedy.

This isn't the commune anymore Paul, you can have some things that are just yours. 

Dee reminds me very much of Ruby, so it doesn't make sense that future Alicia has such a hard time with Ruby. Then again, future Alicia bears so little resemblance, physically and personality-wise, to this Alicia that it barely warrants a mention. Future Alicia and Paul seem like they never left the commune, so this version of them is so different.

But much like Grown-ish (in the earlier seasons, anyway), I really enjoy this show as its own, so it doesn't bother me. I definitely see future Bow in this version of Bow, and maybe Johan and Santi, and I find Bow's awkwardness very funny, so that tie-in is the only one that works. But if the association to the parent show is what it takes to make the new show take off, that's fine. 

Edited by ljenkins782
  • Love 2

At the beginning of the episode, I thought "They sure are turning Denise into a stereotype!" nice to see that was the point - the office was expecting her to be a stereotype.

12 hours ago, elle said:

I am so tired of Santi and her creepy child/bratty half-pint (tm TV tropes), I’m tired of that trope overall.

I think they are trying to explain where Rainbow's daughter Diane gets her creepiness from.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

Dee reminds me very much of Ruby, so it doesn't make sense that future Alicia has such a hard time with Ruby

Nah, Ruby is just mean.  Dee is warmer and fun and often have a lot of wisdom in what she says.

I liked the Dee/Alicia parts of this episode.  The various intonations of the word 'Girl' and all the meanings that one word can convey was a nice running gag.  And also as someone who works in an office I absolutely 100% see the some of what they were talking about with the roles.  Maybe not as stark as what the show was portraying, but there nonetheless.

The Paul stuff was a clunker.  Not because I can't see it.  I mean, if he were a stay at home dad, he was right there when the kids got home, probably had a snack for them and had a lot of expendable free time in the evenings etc.  But as a teacher he doesn't get home til hours later and then has to use his evenings doing lesson plans.  So I get the feeling that he's lost time.  But the way he went about it was sitcom trope.

Paul's new friend is a good addition. 

• Love 3