Type keyword(s) to search

S13: Fade Zu Grau

• Start Topic

Ah, crap. So the reason for so little air time was that he was just a regular mid-season elimination. Tim Gunn save was so wasted on Char, even though I have nothing against her. Then again, Fäde's past two looks were not as great as the first looks of the season, so even though I disagree, I do understand why he was eliminated. 

He wrote this on his Facebook page:

I guess I would struggle with this, too, if I ever went to a competition like Project Runway (if I, you know, had designing/sewing ability). Some of these challenges are so stupid and uninspiring, that I would get stuck on that and just couldn't do my best work - so I would probably get sent home just like Fäde.  Then again, surviving these stupid challenges is part of the competition.

I stated on the other thread that it almost looked like a stubborn refusal, and his FB quote confirms it.  If only he'd pushed himself a bit.  He could've included elements of the challenge without going all RIT dye and pinwheels.  But maybe he was getting jaded and weary with the whole thing. After all, look what's won just about every challenge - crafty accessories, garish colors, and fringe.  So NOT what he's about.  He'll find his niche in the design world though.

Edited by alrightythen
  • Love 1
Ah, crap. So the reason for so little air time was that he was just a regular mid-season elimination. Tim Gunn save was so wasted on Char, even though I have nothing against her. Then again, Fäde's past two looks were not as great as the first looks of the season, so even though I disagree, I do understand why he was eliminated.

I know, I was so hoping the minimal airtime meant he'd emerge from the pack later on. Is All-Stars still a thing? If so, I hope he considers doing that show. I'd love to see more of his work in front of a different set of judges.

• Love 1

I think he's very talented, and a truly nice guy - he seemed to like absolutely everyone and they liked him in turn - but you could just see him get trapped in his own head, his weariness and almost desperate loneliness. His dress was beautifully made, but there was nothing avant-garde about it or pulling in the 'rainway' gimmick. That's another thing - I think the gimmicky, sponsor-pushed stuff was wearing on his last nerve.

But at least he and Heidi said their goodbyes in German. That was beautifully sweet.

• Love 3

That's another thing - I think the gimmicky, sponsor-pushed stuff was wearing on his last nerve.

Has he ever watched any previous seasons a project runway or for that matter any reality show it all? Gimmicks are part of almost every design challenge and if he could not adapt his own style to that then he didn't deserve to be on the show anyway.

• Love 1

I said this in the episode thread but I think the judges (and producers) looked ahead to this week and - even if they were inclined to wave him through last week - realized he would likely send something down the runway on a child that would be problematic. Not necessarily in its design/style; in fact, probably a generally win-worthy look. 

But plastered with anti-establishment sentiments that would turn a lot of viewers off seeing on a kid who was not choosing to wear them. 

I get having a bad attitude about the gimmicks, but he chose to be on the show. Gimmicks are part of the deal. 

I don't think Fade would do something like that, I actually really would have enjoyed seeing his take on this challenge, but since I liked most of the work this challenge it doesn't bite as hard not to have him.

• Love 1

I rather liked Fade's snarky attitude when he had to give a no doubt scripted remark about the water tasting better after being chilled in the sponsor's refrigerator. It was so insincere, but completely in character for him.  I think Fade could have pulled off a child's outfit but I don't know how excited he would have found designing from a doll line. 

• Love 2

I rather liked Fade's snarky attitude when he had to give a no doubt scripted remark about the water tasting better after being chilled in the sponsor's refrigerator. It was so insincere, but completely in character for him.  I think Fade could have pulled off a child's outfit but I don't know how excited he would have found designing from a doll line. 

I think he might have enjoyed creating a dress around the story aspect of the dolls.  I mean, yes, its still designing for a corporate sponsor, but at least that sponsor has something to do with fashion, and trying to empower young women.  I think someone like Fade would have embraced that.  I actually think I would have enjoyed seeing what he would do with one of the girls that came from a poorer background.

• Love 1

I was looking back at the Rate the Runway pictures on the Lifetime site for all the previous challenges, and it once again struck me that Fade was, for the most part, doing excellent, sometimes exciting work on challenges that ended with him relegated to 'safe', while other designers I thought were less gifted and skillful were often overpraised. His collapse during the avant-garde challenge was truly unfortunate, because the judges clearly felt no real need to keep him around. I know it's "one day you're in, the next day you're out," but Heidi's the only one who seems to really believe in that, so the opportunity to save him was there. The judges, having brushed him aside, saw no reason to do so. It's a shame because I really wanted to see him go far.

• Love 5

In the end, maybe Fade didn't care for everything that came with being on a reality show. Sure, you have an idea (from watching other reality shows) how they operate, but once you're fully immersed in the environment, it takes its toll fast. I think the stress got to him and he tuned out. Unfortunately, it was during a challenge you'd think he'd have in the bag.

I don't know if he'd do the All Stars show, but I'd like to see him make a comeback.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 4