Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: Welcome to the Shakedown

• Start Topic

When Gemma's phone is stolen, Dave and Calvin team up to get it back, only to have their mission take an unexpected turn. Also, Malcolm and Marty move into their new house.

Airdate: 02/08/2021

I thought this was a fun episode. I liked the running gag with the chocolate milk. Oh, Dave...

And Marty and Malcom fighting over the bedroom made me laugh. As did them realizing they could hear their parents getting freaky and then fighting over who gets to move out, heh. 

I also liked the exterior shot of their house. I think it's the nicest house on the street. 

• Love 2

Yeah, it's one thing to say 'hey, I found your phone. I can give it back to you for a small finders fee of $20.' It's another thing to gouge them for $300. 

ETA: I also think it's tacky to ask for any money at all. I've returned many things people have lost over the years, wallets, bus passes, credit cards, etc, and never asked for a dime. Just turned it in to someone in charge of the places I found them in. 

• Love 8
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

All  he did was yell at him. And the phone was theirs, why shouldn't they take it back?

I read it as much more threatening than just yelling.  And following that by going to a hospital to sneak out a phone next to an unconscious man whose heart attack you caused?  Nope. I guess I’m in the unpopular opinion category. 

My nephew met his wife when he returned her wallet. They have 4 kids now.

I'm with @possibilities, @jewel21, and @Browncoat. The guy was a jerk and shouldn't have been surprised when the phone's owner pushed back. Honestly, I was (pleasantly) surprised that Dave and Calvin called 911 instead of just running off.

My cousins have lived together as adults. One of them makes more money than the other, and she pays more on the mortgage, so she gets the bigger bedroom. Of course, the "battle for the bedroom" was more fun.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, GussieK said:

I read it as much more threatening than just yelling.  And following that by going to a hospital to sneak out a phone next to an unconscious man whose heart attack you caused?  Nope. I guess I’m in the unpopular opinion category. 

Add me to Team Calvin and Dave Were Right to Take Back the Phone the Guy Stole. It wouldn't occur to me to ask for money when returning something I found (I've returned wallets, cards, and in one case I mailed back a personal check I found on the street), and the fact that he wanted $300 puts him pretty clearly in the wrong, to me. One could argue that he put himself in the situation by trying to extort them in the first place - he wouldn't have gotten yelled at if he hadn't tried to extort them.

I know it's a basic joke but when Malcolm flopped onto his bed and the bed broke and he fell, I cracked up. I lived with my brother as adults and he had the bigger bedroom (he's younger; his room growing up was smaller than mine). IMO they should split the rent a little unevenly and the person in the bigger room pays more (I would assume Marty makes a lot more than Malcolm)- that's how I've done it in roommate situations. I lived in a 3-bedroom in the East Village and it was kind of a revolving door of roommates (we were in our 20s so someone would leave to go to school, someone would move in with a boy/girlfriend, etc.) and the new person always got the worst room, but they paid the least because it was the worst room. It wasn't the smallest but it was the worst.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Yeah, Stan was the one who stole the phone.  He should have been a decent human being and just given it back in the first place.

I missed something here.  Did Stan actually steal the phone (e.g., reaching into Gemma's bag), or did he just find it? 

• Useful 1

I have to say, the actress playing that nurse did real good. She was a delight.

I like that Calvin and Tina are so into each other as seen in that last scene. It has been the part of different running gags since season 1 and it's always funny.

• Love 2

Stan did find the phone, but when he asked for ransom, that elevated "finding" to "stealing" to me.  Of course, if Dave and Calvin had been smart about it, they would have taken the phone from Stan's pocket before the ambulance arrived. 

There is no way any nurse has time to stand around all day and listen to stories like that.

• Love 4