Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: The Book of Reconstruction: Chapter One: Collateral Damage

Trini
  • Start Topic

Jefferson Pierce is still mourning the death of his long-time friend Detective Henderson. Meanwhile, Gambi is presented with an interesting opportunity. Lastly, Lynn and Jefferson are still not able to see eye to eye.

The episode was written and directed by Salim Akil.

Airdate: 2/8/2021

BLK401fg_0005r.jpg

Edited by Trini

It was a great start to the season. Very dark, Jefferson is on his way to becoming a big bad himself/Injustice Black Lightning. Sad to see that Lynn hasnt kicked her greenlight habit and Tobias has successfully transitioned into a Lex Luthor type.

CW is doing this weird thing where they are picking and choosing which shows they bother promote this season. Charmed lacked a 3x02 promo and now Black Lightning lacks a 4x02 promo. What is going on with this network.

• Love 3

Black Lightning is finally back!  Well... kind of, since Black Lightning himself is technically been absence for a year, and is just Jefferson going down a pretty dark and dreary path.  I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that losing Henderson would do that to him.  While I certainly won't shed any tears for his "victims" (especially those racist cops), going off like he is will certainly cause a lot of problems: especially if he continues not to suit up.  He's already got these Lopez and Hassan detectives sniffing around and it's not like Jefferson has the best poker face here.

Meanwhile, both Anissa and Jennifer are continuing on and are certainly a formable team, but definitely overplayed their hand when it came to busting up Lala's operations.  Lala is no dummy: he would eventually see the pattern and find a way to pull a fast one on them.  Meanwhile, Lynn is still using greenlight so that she can acquire those powers, and prepare for a likely return from Gravedigger.

Grace is still in a coma, but Chantai Thuy has been upgraded to regular status, so I guess she'll be factoring in more this season.

Tobias really is going full-blown Lex Luthor on this joint.  But I wonder how long it will be before he goes back to his ruthless, violent ways.

I do respect Devonte/Lala's henchman chill attitude towards everything from Lala shooting the television screen to even threaten to kill him.  I guess you have to have that temperament if you want to survive in this game!

Curious to see how this final seasons will play out.  But not even getting a promo for the next episode doesn't give off a vibe about the network caring too much about it, sadly.  Well, at least it can't get canceled now...

• Love 2

Can't believe this is cancelled. It's not perfect, but definitely a step above most of the CW shows.

LOL - if it's one thing Black Lightning's gonna do, it's roast some racists!

I don't mind the one year time jump, but I hate that it means Grace has been in a coma the whole time.

It's not as exciting as action and special effects, but I liked that we saw Jefferson and Lynn in therapy -- because some of these superheroes really need it! (Not just this show.)

So who do we think is going to finally take out Tobias? LaLa or Jefferson? Both? (Someone else?) I'm kinda rooting for LaLa so he can die one last time. Ewww - Tobias and his crush(?) on Lynn. ::shudder::

Not enough Jen. I hope that only this episode, because they really should make the most of China while she's here. Loved seeing Thunder and Lightning working together!

So Lynn is sober now, BUT (sigh) now she's addicted to ...powers? Weaponizing powers? Interesting that she's using them to fight crime too, when she used to be so against it.

Jeff is understandably low, but I hope he's not in a funk for the entire season. Although I don't mind if he's not in the suit for a while. He's kinda out of control though - being as reckless as Jen and Anissa used to be. Don't think I like the reversal, and him blinding(?) that guy.

Love interest for Gambi? Okay!

Not sure what to make of Henderson's Mentee yet.

• Love 3
54 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

CW is doing this weird thing where they are picking and choosing which shows they bother promote this season. Charmed lacked a 3x02 promo and now Black Lightning lacks a 4x02 promo. What is going on with this network.

31 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Curious to see how this final seasons will play out.  But not even getting a promo for the next episode doesn't give off a vibe about the network caring too much about it, sadly.  Well, at least it can't get canceled now...

UGH -- It's abundantly clear they don't care, but a next episode promo is basic. They haven't even released photos for the next episode either. I swear, the promo department got downsized this year, or something.

Welcome back to Freeland, where nuance goes to die, the cops are still profiling assholes, and the snarky albino crime boss is flexing harder than usual. Bonus: Jefferson Pierce is emotionally dead one year after the liberation of Freeland, and he has no problem with frying people's minds.

So much for the Pierces getting that "W" at the end of last season. There's no Odell or Gravedigger, and Dr. Jace is dead, but there's still the air of gloom over Freeland . . . and that's before we meet Tobias Whale: Philanthropist. Of course, our heroes continue to be their own worst enemies . . . especially Jefferson and Lynne.  Apparently, the Greenlight Monkey is still fixed on Lynne's back, and Jefferson struggles with his principles even as he's frying brains like Miss Martian in the first season of Young Justice. At least hes got a potential friend in the pupil Henderson never told anyone about.

Theory on why La La is extra cranky: he wound up killing Principal Lowry, and that one-dimensional straw man has been haunting La La ever since.

I know Freeland is attached to the rest of the Arrowverse (or whatever it's now called), but I'm glad there's not much mention of it. Given that Jefferson got a seat at the table over at STAR Labs, you'd think some of his "super friends" would have helped him out in one way or another. Then again, they're probably going through their own crap, but it's not as harsh as Jefferson's. Yes, that includes Kate Kane vanishing into the corn field.

1 hour ago, Primal Slayer said:

And here I thought the local affiliate wanted to go right to the news at 10 p.m. That's a bit messed-up.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Primal Slayer said:

My guess is they're burning off the season and not promoting it because it's already cancelled.

The music is so loud on this show, and I don't know why I don't mind at all. I actually love the music. I think they've increased the music budget while cutting the promotional budget.

I'm okay with frying racists, but I find pouty Jefferson tiresome. He's complaining about his family being reckless while going around frying people without wearing his suit. If you're going to be suicidal, be honest about it. And don't take risks that will lead to the outing and persecution of your entrie family.

I don't like that they killed Henderson. I'm just being sentimental, because I liked him. 

Gambi's lair looks like it got an upgrade. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, janeta said:

So everyone has amnesia about who Tobias is?? I'm so confused....

Theory: he has a page from the Book of Destiny. “Yeah, I got the idea after that Luthor guy jacked the Book. I found Destiny, grabbed the Book, tore a page, scribbled on it, and now 99 percent of Freeland thinks I’m a noble guy. For an embodiment of all that that has been and all that will  be, he’s real easy to steal from.”

Edited by Lantern7

Is something up with the CW's marketing department? It feels like they're hardly promoting anything, its really weird, especially considering its this shows last season. Its too bad the show is wrapping up, as it seems like they still have a few seasons left in them, but hopefully we can at least end on a high note. 

Of course, for that high note to happen, Jefferson will need to get out of this funk. Him running around frying people, even really crappy people, is a much darker path than Jefferson normally walks. Even beyond the morality of it, its just really reckless and stupid to be doing this without his suite on, he is obviously going to get caught, especially with the new police chief on his tail. Its especially rich that he's giving his daughters grief for being "reckless" when he is being way worse. At least Anissa and Jen wore their costumes. I guess Jefferson has to spend a bit of time being mopey and edgy and engaging in every heroes favorite pastime of feeling guilty about everything bad that has ever happened ever and beating themselves up. 

Will Tobias ever just be gone? I know he's Jefferson's nemesis and all, but I am just sick to death of him coming back over and over again no matter how ridiculous it gets. Also coming back is Lala, who likes Tobias just about as much as I do. Not too surprising that he caught onto what Jen and Anissa were going to do, Jen and Anissa have always struggled with underestimating their enemies and overestimating themselves. They're really powerful and talented and have gained a lot of experience during the time skip, but they still kind of suck at tactics. 

Looks like Gambi got a lab upgrade AND a love interest. At least he's been doing alright during the time skip. In general I think the time skip is a good idea, although I am sad that it means that Grace has been in a coma for a whole year. Poor Grace, hasn't she been through enough? She was already always on the verge of a breakdown for most of the show until the end of last season, hopefully all her progress wont be thrown away. 

• Love 2

I thought some of the news ticker headlines were interesting:

• Quarantine of Freeland continues with no end in sight
  • President Shaw meets with high ranking members of the democratic party attempting to avoid yet another governmental shutdown
  • Congress opens an investigation into ASA practices
  • Vice president Cori Hannette meets with the vice president of Markovia in Geneva
  • Senator Muhammed filibusters to keep controversial immigration/meta human bill from senate floor vote
  • Two Florida police officers sentenced to life in prison after "accidental" shooting ...

• Useful 5