Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Baltimore

Abraham Lincoln tries to avoid assassination on the way to his inauguration, Francis Scott Key writes "The Star-Spangled Banner," and Edgar Allan Poe feuds with Rufus Griswold.

Guest stars: Martin Starr as Abraham Lincoln, Charlie Day as Allan Pinkerton, Preston Flagg as Harry Davis, Adrianne Palicki as Kate Warne, Jeffery Ross as Francis Scott Key, James Adomian as Alexander Cochrane, Craig Anstett as Britsh Officer, Jesse Plemons as Edgar Allan Poe, Jason Ritter as Rufus Griswold.

Narrators: Paget Brewster, Henry Philips, Duncan Trussell

I really don't care about the facial hair in a situation like this.

It's interesting how they're building up a bit of a stock company of enactors. Including some I wouldn't have expected to be into it, like Jason Ritter.

I love how the second narrator kept laughing, so that the characters in the story were laughing inappropriately.

I didn't know the story about the Baltimore Plot, with Lincoln having to disguise himself. I assume that part is true.

I love Paget Brewster so I'm glad she returned for another narration, and her story was the best one. Charlie Day was hilarious with her dialogue.

The middle guy was too drunk. It just didn't work for me. 

I suppose the reenactor actors are used to looping dialog, but dang, they all do such a good job. I usually listen to the teevee in the background while I'm on the computer, but I actually watch this with my eyes.

Paget's "moth!" was killing me.

I suppose the reenactor actors are used to looping dialog, but dang, they all do such a good job. 

They do, and it's not just the synching (good though that is). It's like an acting-class assignment where you're given a soundtrack and must craft a whole character arc that will justify every moment. Some of the actors have been astounding at this, making everything consistent, no matter how nonsensical. I might single out Jordan Peele as still the best of all at this.

I would think there'd be no need for earpieces -- none of the sounds they make on the re-enactment set will actually be used, so they might as well just play the soundtrack on loudspeakers for everyone to hear. Or are you saying that earpieces might permit more split-second precision with the sound?

• Love 1

The narrator's story is edited down to the 5+ minutes we see. So do they split up the narration for each character, so each would only hear what they would say?

I agree Martin's facial hair wasn't cutting it. But shaving his face might be a big deal for an actor just doing a 10 minute bit? He may be restricted to Amish roles once he does and I don't feel there are enough Amish roles going around. I felt the same way about Stephen Merchant. Thank you for the picture of the real Kate Warne, I find her more beautiful than the actress who played her.

I can't believe no one is raving about my fave, Duncan Trussell, who was HILARIOUS. I found the other two stories lacking in comparison to his...

Martin Starr is on "Silicon Valley" with a beard. I'm guessing that he's keeping it for the show. If anything, it's been awhile since he's shaved it. I totally didn't recognize Jesse Plemons as Edgar Allan Poe.

It's interesting how they're building up a bit of a stock company of enactors. Including some I wouldn't have expected to be into it, like Jason Ritter.

I wondered originally last season how Jason Ritter got into this, since I too wasn't expecting it, and I found my answer - he's been friends with Simon Helberg since they've been kids (and were roommates in college), and Derek Waters and Simon Helberg were a comedy duo together for awhile (and had a web series with Bob Odenkirk I believe).  So I'm guessing they were connected through Simon Helberg.

Charlie Day might have been one of my favorite lip-synchers ever.  He's up there with Jordan Peele for me; he was fantastic.