Type keyword(s) to search

Starlight Beacon: The Acolyte In Media

• Start Topic

(edited)

Star Wars: The Rebellion Will Be Televised
BY ANTHONY BREZNICAN    MAY 17, 2022
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2022/05/star-wars-cover-the-rebellion-will-be-televised

To endure, Star Wars will need new actors, new characters, and a new era, vaulting away from the timeline as we know it. Another upcoming series, The Acolyte, reportedly starring Amandla Stenberg, aims to do that. The show is in the casting phase, but the writing is largely complete, says showrunner Leslye Headland, cocreator of the time-looping Netflix show Russian Doll. She has been planning for it for two years, mostly from the confines of her home. Her dog and cat, who peek in curiously from the background of Zoom conversations, are certainly steeped in the concept of the galaxy’s High Republic era, she says, but casual Star Wars fans who haven’t been following the recent novels and comics might still be unaware.

The Acolyte, Headland says, takes place roughly 100 years before The Phantom Menace: “A lot of those characters haven’t even been born yet. We’re taking a look at the political and personal and spiritual things that came up in a time period that we don’t know much about. My question when watching The Phantom Menace was always like, ‘Well, how did things get to this point?’ How did we get to a point where a Sith lord can infiltrate the Senate and none of the Jedi pick up on it? Like, what went wrong? What are the scenarios that led us to this moment?”

Headland describes The Acolyte as a mystery thriller set in a prosperous and seemingly peaceful era, when the galaxy is still sleek and glistening. “We actually use the term the Renaissance, or the Age of Enlightenment,” she says. Jedis were not always ascetic monklike figures living selflessly and bravely. “The Jedi uniforms are gold and white, and it’s almost like they would never get dirty. They would never be out and about,” Headland says. “The idea is that they could have these types of uniforms because that’s how little they’re getting into skirmishes.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Star Wars Forever: How Kathleen Kennedy Is Expanding the Galaxy
BY ANTHONY BREZNICAN    MAY 18, 2022
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2022/05/star-wars-kathleen-kennedy

I know The Acolyte hasn’t started shooting yet, but that’s also on the horizon for Lucasfilm. That series is not as tied into the characters we already know, right?

That one sits right on the edge of the High Republic Era. It’s a bit of an experiment for us because it isn’t building within the timeline and the era that Jon and Dave are. It isn’t necessarily going to be where features are. We are moving into a new era with what [showrunner] Leslye Headland is doing. 

There are certainly reflections of things that people are going to recognize, and it will have connectivity in Star Wars. But this will be a whole new [era] of storytelling if we determine—like we did with The Mandalorian—that it works and that there’s interest. I think there will be.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

The Acolyte: How Star Wars Is About to Venture Back in Time
BY ANTHONY BREZNICAN     MAY 24, 2022
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2022/05/the-acolyte-star-wars-series 

The show, which is still in the preproduction phase, takes place about 100 years before any of the screen stories fans have already watched. That sets the story at the tail end of an era known as the High Republic, which was an age of wealth and innovation for the galaxy, with white-clad Jedi inspiring awe and the dark side of the Force seemingly erased from existence. 

It was a golden age—or maybe just a gilded one. That’s the way showrunner Leslye Headland made it sound as she previewed the upcoming Disney+ series for Vanity Fair’s cover story, Star Wars: The Rebellion Will Be Televised.
Headland, best known for her work producing and directing for the shows Russian Doll and Single Drunk Female, and the movies Bachelorette and Sleeping With Other People, is drawing extensively from what’s known as the Expanded Universe, or “the E.U.,” which is the plethora of books, games, and comics that are now considered unofficial “legends” instead of narrative canon. When The Acolyte debuts, lovers of those stories may be relieved to see aspects of them become real once again.
It’s still too early for Headland to fully reveal what the title means—and maybe it has multiple points of significance. But she strongly hints that it points toward an adherent to the dark side of the Force. “Acolyte” is commonly used to refer to a follower, especially a deeply devoted one. A true believer. But its primary definition is someone who assists a religious leader in the performance of a ritual. In Star Wars lore, practitioners of the dark side always worked in pairs—a master, and an apprentice.

“In the prequels, Mace Windu says: ‘There’s no way that the Sith could have reemerged without us knowing about it.’ And Yoda says, ‘Hard to see, the dark side is,’” Headland points out. “He acknowledges that this is a part of the Force that has been dormant, or at least hidden from them, for so long. What I immediately wondered about this particular period was: Who is practicing it?”
Vanity Fair: How do you explain the High Republic to a Star Wars fan who may not yet be familiar with the stories the books have been telling?
The way I would explain the High Republic, and specifically where my show takes place, is that I'm about 100 years before The Phantom Menace. So, a lot of those characters haven't even been born yet. My question in watching The Phantom Menace was always like, "Well, how did things get to this point?" Do you know what I mean? How did we get to where a Sith lord can infiltrate the Senate and none of the Jedi pick up on it? What went wrong? What are the scenarios that led us to this moment? So that's what I would say. That's how I would describe it to my friends, especially my non-Star Wars friends.
The way you're describing it reminds me of the Roman era, a time where that empire was very powerful and fairly technologically advanced. Then that region of the world falls into a period of barbarism, and the Dark Ages follow. Is that similar to what you're talking about here? Is the High Republic an era of education and advancement and glory, while the Star Wars movies and shows that we know best are from a time of collapse and decay?
Yes. We actually use the term the Renaissance, or the Age Of Enlightenment. There doesn't necessarily need to be an uprising among people in the expanded regions or in the inner worlds, because everybody's doing so well. For what I'm exploring, another good analogy might be post World War I in the United States, where we very much got into this isolationist concept of: we're not helping anybody. We want to protect this particular vibe that we have going. [Laughs.] ‘Vibe’ is definitely not the word they use.

So the leaders of this galactic era would rather ignore conflict or suffering than resolve it?
The High Republic is so golden in so many ways. The Jedi uniforms are gold and white and it's almost like they would never get dirty. They would never be out and about. The idea is that they could have these types of uniforms because that's how little they're getting into skirmishes. So of course my question is like, ‘Well, what else is going on?’ You can't just end up with George’s Phantom Menace situation if everything is going well.

It has to be going well at the expense of what? What is not being attended to? What are we turning a blind eye to that could lead to the rise of somebody like Palpatine about a century later? Yes, it's one bad guy, but it's one bad guy that completely undermines the entire system of government. A lot of other things must have been going on beneath the surface.

And we know the Jedi completely miss this.
[They’re] constantly talking about balance. If the light side is proliferating everywhere, what's going on with the dark side? How is it manifesting itself? What is it doing to survive? Because it very clearly does later on in the world.
I've heard you describe The Acolyte as a mystery. So is that the mystery, what's below the surface of this glossy world?
Yes—are things what they seem to be? Are things as good as everybody's saying they are? That's the big question of any society that has these big booming periods. There is some form of counterculture or some form of underground, whether good or bad, you know what I mean?

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Star Wars TV Status Report: The Latest on Lando, Mando, Ahsoka and 5 Others
By Matt Webb Mitovich / June 5 2022
https://tvline.com/lists/every-star-wars-tv-series-release-date-casting-news/ 

THE ACOLYTE
WHEN IS IT SET?: About 100 years prior to Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace.

WHAT IT’S ABOUT: From Russian Doll co-creator Leslye Headland, this mystery thriller will ask such questions as, “How did we get to a point where a Sith lord can infiltrate the Senate and none of the Jedi pick up on it? Like, what went wrong?”

CONFIRMED CAST: TBA

RUMORED CAST: Amandla Stenberg (The Hate U Give)

FILMING STATUS: Casting was underway as of mid-May 2022.

PREMIERE DATE: TBA

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

It's official...

‘The Acolyte’: Amandla Stenberg To Lead Disney+ ‘Star Wars’ Series – Update
By Alexandra Del Rosario     July 22, 2022
https://deadline.com/2022/07/the-acolyte-amandla-stenberg-lead-star-wars-disney-series-1234887556/ 

UPDATED: This is now official. Star Wars’ social media accounts just confirmed the news that Amandla Stenberg has joined The Acolyte (see post below). Stenberg said she was “so excited to finally announce I’m joining Star Wars: The Acolyte! Honored is an understatement. May the Force be with you.”
The Acolyte is a mystery-thriller that will take viewers into a galaxy of shadowy secrets and emerging dark-side powers in the final days of the High Republic era, Disney+ described the series upon its announcement in December 2020. In the real universe of Star Wars, an acolyte can refer to individuals with force abilities who learn from a more experienced Sith Lord.

• Love 1

‘The Acolyte’: Jodie Turner-Smith Poised To Join Disney+’s ‘Star Wars’ Series
By Nellie Andreeva     September 6, 2022
https://deadline.com/2022/09/the-acolyte-jodie-turner-smithcast-star-wars-series-disney-plus-1235109427/ 

EXCLUSIVE: Jodie Turner-Smith (Queen & Slim, Anne Boleyn) is finalizing a deal to join Amandla Stenberg in the upcoming Disney+ series Star Wars: The Acolyte, sources tell Deadline. Reps for Lucasfilm and Turner-Smith declined comment.

So far Stenberg, who is playing the lead, is the only confirmed cast member for the Star Wars universe project from Leslye Headland. Details about characters, including the one played by Turner-Smith, are being kept under wraps.

The Acolyte is a mystery-thriller that will take viewers into a galaxy of shadowy secrets and emerging dark-side powers in the final days of the High Republic era, Disney+ said in its December 2020 announcement. In the Star Wars universe, an acolyte can refer to individuals with force abilities who learn from a more experienced Sith Lord.

The series is expected to begin production in London in late fall.

Edited by tv echo

‘The Acolyte’: ‘Star Wars’ Series Adds Carrie-Anne Moss, Charlie Barnett, Rebecca Henderson, Dafne Keen & Dean-Charles Chapman
By Anthony D'Alessandro   November 7, 2022
https://deadline.com/2022/11/the-acolyte-star-wars-series-carrie-anne-moss-charlie-barnett-1235165406/ 

Disney+ confirmed its cast for the upcoming new Lucasfilm Star Wars series, The Acolyte. The Hate U Give actress Amandla Stenberg was already announced for the show, and Deadline told you first about Squid Game Emmy Award-winner Lee Jung-jae, Manny Jacinto and Queen & Slim‘s Jodie Turner-Smith.

New today are Dafne Keen (His Dark Materials), Rebecca Henderson (Inventing Anna), Charlie Barnett (Russian Doll), Dean-Charles Chapman (1917) and Carrie-Anne Moss (The Matrix).

The series is already shooting in the UK as you can see from the above photo.

acolyte.jpg 
(L-R): Amandla Stenberg, Lee Jung-jae and Director Leslye Headland on the set of Lucasfilm's Disney+ 'Star Wars' series 'The Acolyte'

THE ACOLYTE ORIGINAL SERIES CAST REVEALED
DISNEY+ // NOVEMBER 7, 2022
https://www.starwars.com/news/the-acolyte-original-series-cast-revealed 

The Acolyte is a mystery-thriller that will take viewers into a galaxy of shadowy secrets and emerging dark-side powers in the final days of the High Republic era. A former Padawan reunites with her Jedi Master to investigate a series of crimes, but the forces they confront are more sinister than they ever anticipated.

acolyte-cast.jpeg 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Star Wars: The Acolyte will show how the Sith infiltrate the Jedi order
By Tom Power published 2 days ago
https://www.techradar.com/news/the-acolyte-will-turn-the-star-wars-universe-on-its-head-star-teases 

Given the secrecy around the Disney Plus show, Keen, who was recently revealed as part of The Acolyte's all-star cast, was hesitant to give too much away. However, the former Logan actor teased some bits about what fans can expect from The Acolyte, including a tiny but important piece of information about its plot.

"I can tease that it's a prequel!" Keen joked when asked what she could say about The Acolyte. "No, I mean, as you know, it's set 100 years before the prequel movies, and it's kind of an explanation of how the Sith infiltrated the Jedi. It's a Sith-led story, which has never been done before. 

• Love 1

Star Wars prequel The Acolyte films in forest with Squid Game star Lee Jung-jae seen in costume for first time
By CASSIE CARPENTER      8 December 2022
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-11517755/Star-Wars-prequel-Acolyte-films-forest-Squid-Game-star-Lee-Jung-jae-seen-costume.html 

Spoiler

The South Korean Emmy winner - turning 50 in one week - was dressed like a Jedi Master who, in the mystery-thriller series, reunites with a former Padawan (Amandla Stenberg) to investigate a series of crimes.

Speaking of Padawans, Game of Thrones alum Dean-Charles Chapman rocked the tell-tale rat tail of Jedi apprentices.
Also on the blue screen-laden set was Logan alum Dafne Keen, wearing a two-tone wig and wielding a powerful-looking weapon.
Towering over the cast and crew was a Wookie with a top-knot hairdo wearing an orange tunic while toting a brown leather purse.
Both the British 25-year-old and the Kashyyyk native were shooting a scene in front of some sort of small spaceship.

Joining them was an actress wearing the prosthetic make-up and horns of a Zabrak (like Darth Maul) native to the planet Iridonia, who practice dark side magick.

There were two other actresses wielding the same hook-handled weapon as Dafne - both of whom had elaborate hairdos.

Pics:
65385497-0-image-a-16_1670517412406.jpg

65385511-0-image-a-24_1670517750456.jpg

65385493-0-image-a-17_1670517429838.jpg

65385495-0-image-a-15_1670517383697.jpg

65385501-0-image-a-14_1670517379609.jpg

65385489-0-image-a-19_1670517449556.jpg

65385509-11517755-image-m-32_16705196876    65385513-11517755-image-m-30_16705196760 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Disney's Bob Iger Reveals Star Wars: The Acolyte's New Release Window
BY JONATHAN KESH    MARCH 13, 2023
https://www.cbr.com/star-wars-the-acolyte-disney-release-update/ 

The Acolyte, Disney+'s upcoming Sith-focused Star Wars show set during the High Republic era, is aiming for 2024 debut, according to The Walt Disney Company CEO Bob Iger.

Iger dropped the news about the anticipated Star Wars show during a Q&A session at the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media, and Telecom Conference. "Just last night, I got a clip of a Star Wars series that's going to air on Disney+ in 2024 called The Acolyte, that looks brilliant," Iger said. The Acolyte was first announced back in 2020 and early production began last year, but this is the first official release window given by Disney.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
(edited)

Star Wars: The Acolyte Casts Solo's Joonas Suotamo as Wookiee Jedi
By Matt Webb Mitovich / April 7 2023
https://tvline.com/2023/04/07/star-wars-the-acolyte-release-date-joonas-suotamo-cast-wookiee-jedi/ 

Joonas Suotamo — who previously played Chewbacca in Solo: A Star Wars Story as well as in the sequel trilogy — will play a Wookiee Jedi named Kel Naka in the upcoming TV series, which is on track for a 2024 release.

It was also confirmed that Lee Jung-jae (Squid Game), whose own casting was announced back in September, is playing a Jedi master in The Acolyte.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 2

Amandla Stenberg and Lee Jung-Jae from The Acolyte | Star Wars Celebration LIVE! 2023
Star Wars   Apr 7, 2023

Manny Jacinto, Dafne Keen, and Charlie Barnett from The Acolyte | Star Wars Celebration LIVE! 2023
Star Wars   Apr 7, 2023

Joonas Suotamo and Dean-Charles Chapman from The Acolyte | Star Wars Celebration LIVE! 2023
Star Wars   Apr 7, 2023

Jodie Turner-Smith and Rebecca Henderson from The Acolyte | Star Wars Celebration Live! 2023
Star Wars   Apr 7, 2023

Rayne Roberts from The Acolyte | Star Wars Celebration LIVE! 2023
Star Wars   Apr 8, 2023

Leslye Headland | Star Wars Celebration LIVE! 2023
Star Wars   Apr 9, 2023

• Like 1
(edited)

The Acolyte is a Star Wars show 'with no war in it'
By Dalton Ross    July 18, 2023
https://ew.com/tv/the-acolyte-star-wars-leslye-headland-amandla-stenberg-lee-jung-jae/ 

"The Acolyte stands out because it is the earliest in the Star Wars timeline that we have ever been in live-action," Headland says on the podcast. "We are toward the end of the High Republic, leading into George's prequels, so we are looking at a time period where the Jedi are at the height of their power."

And what that means, according to the showrunner, is that the story we see will not be one featuring massive armies and space battles. "We're looking at a time period where there is peace throughout the galaxy. It was very challenging and interesting to make a Star Wars with no war in it. So the question became, Well, what should the show be about if it's not going to be about galactic conflict?"

That's not the only big contrast between The Acolyte and other Star Wars offerings. "I think that what makes this show different and interesting is that it's from the perspective of the villains of Star Wars," Headland explains. "These are people who are using the Force in their own way, dipping into the darker sides of the Force and are doing it without being sanctioned by the larger institution, which, in this case, is the Jedi."
Instead of the good guys being hopelessly outnumbered ("Never tell me the odds"), on The Acolyte, it is the villains who will be in the minority. "Star Wars is always about some version of the underdog versus the institution," says Headland. "And I just thought it was very interesting to do a show about the bad guys and to set that during that time period made the most sense. So it's kind of almost flipped. We have more Jedi than you've seen in any of the of the Star Wars content, but at the same time, you see more morally ambiguous characters than you've seen in other Star Wars content."

Stenberg — who credits the show with helping usher in "safety for Black nerds" — also latched onto that gray area with their character, who is shrouded in mystery. "It's a really interesting time in the galaxy," says the star. "Because there are no wars, we get to lean into the underdogs and the moral ambiguity of these characters. And so I have the opportunity of playing something that holds a lot of moral and ethical conflict, which I think is my favorite part of Star Wars."

But just because there is no war, it does not mean there will be no battles. And while those battles may take place in a more intimate setting, they will involve elaborate martial arts-themed choreography. "I can say this pretty confidently," declares Headland. "I don't think you're going to see action in other shows the way that you see it utilized in our show."
We can assume Lee Jung-jae will be part of those action sequences, given his role on the show. "I didn't know that I'd be playing a Jedi master," says the Squid Game star through a translator. "And this is a huge opportunity, which I'm still extremely grateful for. And to be playing in a film that I really enjoyed watching is still surreal for me. I can't believe I'm playing a Jedi master and I get to use a lightsaber!"

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Disney Spends $49 Million On Star Wars Spinoff The Acolyte
Caroline Reid f  July 24, 2023
https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolinereid/2023/07/24/disney-spends-49-million-on-star-wars-spinoff-the-acolyte/?sh=7911f3703a02 

Disney has revealed that it spent $49.2 million (£38.3 million) on pre-production of The Acolyte, its upcoming Star Wars streaming series which is set before the events of the main movies.

It is a staggering $5.5 million (£4.3 million) more than Disney spent on pre-production of 2016's big screen Star Wars blockbuster Rogue One.

Last year's hit Star Wars streaming series Andor spent 38% more on pre-production but it was made at the height of the pandemic so had to invest heavily in COVID protocols and needed its production budget to be adjusted accordingly.

Even pre-production costs of the main instalments in the Star Wars saga weren't far off The Acolyte. Disney only spent 17% more on pre-production of The Last Jedi in 2017 and that was a sure-fire hit thanks to an A List cast playing classic characters headlined by Mark Hamill in the iconic role of Luke Skywalker.
Perhaps the biggest name amongst its ranks only came to light a few days ago when it was revealed that Keanu Reeves will have a cameo in the show. He joins Matrix co-star Carrie Ann Moss who is reportedly playing a Jedi when the warriors were at the peak of their power. In a recent podcast interview with Entertainment Weekly, Showrunner Leslye Headland revealed that The Acolyte takes place around 100 years before the events of the first Star Wars prequel, Star Wars: The Phantom Menace.

ETA: The Keanu Reeves cameo was reported by Giant Freakin Robot, but it is not officially confirmed.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
(edited)

MEET AMANDLA STENBERG, STAR WARS’ NEW HOPE
Words by IRA MADISON III    February 14, 2024
https://magazinec.com/style/meet-amandla-stenberg-star-wars-new-hope/ 

Now she probably does, as she takes on the titular Jedi trainee role in The Acolyte, her introduction to George Lucas’ Star Wars universe, which he sold to Disney in 2012 for $4 billion. “I have a really, really heavy load in this show, an abnormal load,” she says. Shot largely at Shinfield Studios in Berkshire, England, a new facility comprising 18 soundstages, it follows The Mandalorian, Andor, and Ashoka in the line of spin-offs commissioned for Disney+ in the age of streaming, which has seen huge budgets aimed at episodic shows over two-hour cinematic releases. “The crews are so hard core, they’re so hardworking, and it’s very kind of hierarchical and competitive, and people work their asses off,” she says. “It’s very different, I think, than what I’ve experienced on most American sets.”

Stenberg can’t share too much — or anything, really — about the plot of The Acolyte because Lucasfilm’s NDAs are notoriously restrictive. (“They’re already hacking into my phone right now. They’re listening,” she jokes.) What she can say is that it takes place in the High Republic era before Star Wars: Episode I—The Phantom Menace, which was released in 1999 and grossed just shy of $1 billion worldwide. It’s a prequel to the prequels, if you like — Lucas famously started his epic tale in 1977 on Episode IV: A New Hope.

“In the context of the Star Wars universe, it’s a time of great peace, theoretically,” Stenberg says. “It’s also a time of an institution, and it’s a time in which conceptions around the Force are very strict. And I think what we’re trying to explore within our show is when an institution has a singular conception of how power can be used…we try to provide a lot of different perspectives and answers to that question. The idea is to kind of honor the ethos of Star Wars and ideas around the Force and also challenge them, hopefully harmoniously.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1

Official trailer released:

They may have some explaining to do on this.  The show takes place only 100 years before The Phantom Menace but, in The Phantom Menace, Ki-Adi-Mundi says the Sith have been extinct for a millennium (1,000 years).  In the trailer we obviously see a red lightsaber which usually represents a Sith.  If this enemy really is a Sith and not a wannabe, how did the Jedi council just 100 years later not know about this?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, KeithJ said:

Official trailer released:

They may have some explaining to do on this.  The show takes place only 100 years before The Phantom Menace but, in The Phantom Menace, Ki-Adi-Mundi says the Sith have been extinct for a millennium (1,000 years).  In the trailer we obviously see a red lightsaber which usually represents a Sith.  If this enemy really is a Sith and not a wannabe, how did the Jedi council just 100 years later not know about this?

All apples are fruit. But not all fruit are apples. All Sith are wielders of the dark side, but not all darksiders are Sith. You can have other red sabre users. OTOH, it wouldn't be the Jedi council's first or last mistake. :)

• Like 2

Skywalker Saga Marathon Coming to Theaters on May the 4th
See all nine films on the big screen!
StarWars.com Team    March 21, 2024
https://www.starwars.com/news/skywalker-saga-marathon 

In addition, an exclusive look at The Acolyte, the upcoming Disney+ series set during the High Republic era, will be part of The Phantom Menace screenings. Finally, those attending will receive a special limited edition poster. Tickets go on sale tomorrow, Friday, March 22, at 9 a.m. PT / 12 p.m. ET.

28 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Skywalker Saga Marathon Coming to Theaters on May the 4th
See all nine films on the big screen!
StarWars.com Team    March 21, 2024
https://www.starwars.com/news/skywalker-saga-marathon 

No thanks. Even if I wasn't travelling, I don't have the attention span or physical stamina for more than about 2.5 hours in one go. Also, I have no desire to watch the prequels right through. Bits and pieces are fine, but on the whole they don't really come together for me.

• Like 1
On 3/19/2024 at 12:58 PM, Anduin said:

All apples are fruit. But not all fruit are apples. All Sith are wielders of the dark side, but not all darksiders are Sith. You can have other red sabre users. OTOH, it wouldn't be the Jedi council's first or last mistake. :)

Indeed, because it's important to remember that this is the franchise that stashes characters who will be very important later in remote areas, so the Sith going unnoticed for literally centuries while they worked in secret wouldn't be wholly new territory.

Also? I thought I recognized Carrie Anne Moss, who I either didn't know or forgot was going to be in this. Trinity as a Jedi is gonna send me.

• Like 2