Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E19: The Lord Giveth

nodorothyparker
  • Start Topic

Streaming 2020.12.30

In the new land, Ubbe has to engage in careful diplomacy when he finds himself surrounded. In Wessex, the Vikings ambush the Saxon army, but Alfred is convinced the Lord is with his army and refuses to retreat.

Episodes of the final half season will be streaming on Amazon Prime.

OMG! Floki! The first time they mentioned “crazy man,” I thought of Floki, but I never thought...

Peter Franzen is such a charismatic actor that I shed a tear at Harald’s death. Halfdan showing up was touching. I’m glad Harald took out that Bishop on his way out. Underestimate a Viking at your peril.

I like Ingrid now. She’s a badass. I knew the slave girl would kill Eric when he started roughing her up. Go girl!

Glad Georgia Hirst finally made it to the main cast in the titles.

Penultimate episode!!

So I really love the conceit of Ubbe and company making it to America, becoming aware of the people already living there, and then doing what the Good Side of Ragnar would have done: leave presents and peacefully integrate themselves. After all the violence and bloodshed of this show in its entirety, I almost shed a tear at the fact that, actually, sometimes human beings can do the right thing. 

It wasn't until the first glimpse of the carvings on the trees that I realized Floki was the "crazy man", though I obviously should have twigged the moment that phrase came up. That sequence was beautifully done, with the carvings of Ragnar and Kattegat on the tree trunks, and the beautifully constructed house in the trees. I wasn't even that big a fan of Floki, but I'm glad he's clearly found a sense of peace.

As for Harald's death, it was somehow both overwhelming and undeserved. He gets taken out by some random Wessex bishop? I'll never understand why Gunnhild didn't get that honour, or why such a loathsome murderer/rapist (albeit one played by a very charismatic actor) gets to see the brother that he killed in his final moments. Ah well, I guess they just had a different system of morality than I do. 

Another odd choice was that a random slave woman took out Erik the Red - not that he didn't deserve it by that stage. Again, I know Ingrid isn't popular - but what exactly is her crime here? She blinded and killed a man that strong-armed himself into her bed, who at one point captured and sold her into slavery (loved that Erik felt the other woman's brand on her neck before he died) and there's been no indication that she's a bad queen. The way she handled the jarls and captains in getting higher taxes to build a defense wall was pretty masterful.  

Also, this was awesome:

1945778914_.PNG.1d2637f617ffe9a956898a5e3e1586a0.PNG

One more episode to go, I hope they make it.

Alfred is on the backfoot, right on cue for his big comeback in the finale.

• Love 2

I admit I cried when Ubbe found Floki.  I came to love Ubbe over the course of the series.  It wasn't just that he looks so much like young Ragnar, he ended up having all the best traits of his father.   As for how Floki got out from being buried under the volcano to magically being transported to Canada?  I guess we have to see it as the will of the gods?  And those gods were always present from the very first episode.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, magdalene said:

I admit I cried when Ubbe found Floki.  I came to love Ubbe over the course of the series.  It wasn't just that he looks so much like young Ragnar, he ended up having all the best traits of his father.   As for how Floki got out from being buried under the volcano to magically being transported to Canada?  I guess we have to see it as the will of the gods?  And those gods were always present from the very first episode.

The volcano shot him all the way to Canada was my first thought. 😆

• LOL 4

I was spoiled on Floki's return but was still happy to see him, complete with deranged giggle.  I'm glad he and Ubbe are together. 

Seeing them interact with the tri e was great.  I couldn't help but wonder how cool it would have been to see Ragnar meet them.

Another great and well thought out battle scene.  Liked that Elsewith got a strong moment.  

Serious props to Peter Frazen.  Harald is a vial person but still felt something when he got killed.  It was cool seeing Haldan appear before him and even if Harald didn't deserve it, it was still a great sendoff.

This Erik wasn't very impressive or smart.  Never would have guessed Ingrid would be the last person standing in Kattegat. Shows you how bare the place has become although that is not a knock on the story at all.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 4

Just a few thoughts while livewatching;

* Listen.  Finehair might be an unmitigable bastard, but there's no denying it: he's poetry on the battlefield.  Violent poetry written by an angry dude in a basement, maybe, but still poetry.

* I may have just physically cheered when Hvitserk & Co jumped up out of their ground burrows like the world's blondest trap spiders.  Just saying.

* Why do I get the feeling that the Ubbe-following "where's this gold from" dude is just foreshadowing for, oh, say, the next thousand or so years of history?  We have learned nothing.

* So Alfie gets stabbed and sees Jesus.  I suppose he doesn't have all that much life to flash in front of his eyes, but...

* That poetry thing?  The scene with Halfdan and the neck dude is...fitting.  I hope Peter Franzen has more work than he can ever reasonably take on for as long as he wants it, forever.

*LAST SCENE OMG OMG OMG OMG.

So I'm literally sitting here cheering.  Scared the crap out of the dog.  Husband thinks I may be injured.  Came to check.  Is also cheering, too.  I feel a little bad for spoiling him.  But OMG OMG OMG.

• Love 5

Was spoiled that Floki would be showing back up, but the reveal was still pretty great.  Glad to see that at least one of the original characters (and cast members) is still around!

Also figured that the female slave was going to actually align herself with Ingrid at the end, but that was a fitting enough end for Erik, I guess.  In the end, he pretty much went out like a chump and without fan fare, which is in character since he never really factored into anything, like he thought he would.

Won't exactly shed any tears for Harald finally biting it, but Peter Franzen was definitely one of the standouts here out of the cast.  And bringing back Halfdan was a nice touch.

Ubbe and Tovi were definitely the right type of Vikings to meet up with the Native Americans, because they actually believe in trying to make peace and coexist.  But I'm worried about that one random Vikings who was really interested in that gold.

No surprise that Ivar pretty much played Alfred like a fiddle this go around.  But now it's time to see if God really is "on Alfred's side", and if they can make a comeback.

Off to watch the final episode!

• Love 4