Type keyword(s) to search

Suzanne: Don't Call Her Crazy Eyes

• Start Topic

It's a credit to Uzo Aduba's acting that I feel guilty that I ever referred to the character as Crazy Eyes. I think the Scared Straight episode where she screamed Shakespeare at the confused teens might be one of my favorite moments in the first season

• Love 1

Mine, too! (If I had a dime for every time I've screamed Shakespeare at confused teens....) I loved getting to see her sweet nteraction with her parents, too. If I recall correctly, she called her mother "Mommy." 

• Love 1

I loved the scene of Crazy Eyes with her parents.  Some how it explained everything and added further confusion at the same time.  Also, I think the Thanksgiving episode was a great turning point in the series and where it really hit its stride.  I always tell people on the fence about this show to get through the Thanksgiving episode and then decide. 

• Love 1

I felt guilty about her nickname too.  I always liked the character but the name fit. The turning point for me was when she was sobbing on the bunk listening to the radio interview.  It was awful, my heart just broke for her.

• Love 1

I think Crazy Eyes / Suzanne is the most perfect example of how the show introduces various conceits and stereotypes in the early episodes that it will eventually explode later on.  Aside from the rather ham-fisted Pennsatucky, by the end of the season I felt that almost every character was someone different from who I assumed she was in the beginning.  And I mean that as a credit to the show.  I think it mirrors Piper's on devolution/revelation as not the "nice white lady" she was trying so hard to be in the pilot, but for me it happened with nearly every character.  But perhaps none so saliently as Suzanne, who started off for me a strictly comedic character and then was breaking my heart by the 10th episode.  Clearly that was all carefully planned and plotted, but I didn't see that coming and I really admire it in hindsight.

• Love 2
(edited)

What's so sad is that her parents loved her, but weren't equipped at all for adopting a special needs child.  I think denial played a big role in it, but I think another big issue was pressuring her to think that she was "normal and just like everyone else" (rather than saying they loved her the way she is, while trying to help her behavioral problems) when she would have benefitted from therapy. I also wonder how old she was supposed to be when she was adopted because if she suffered trauma at an early age, that could have lasting effects. 

I thought it was kind that Poussey didn't seem to hold Suzanne's beating her up against her. She probably realized it's because Vee had her so manipulated and willing to do anything. Still I was pleased that she didn't seem mad at Suzanne, though I hope she aplogizes to Poussey next season. I'm glad that Cindy and Watson recanted their testimony against Suzanne (probably because they were scared of Vee), but that was still wrong of them to do in the first place. I definitely have conflicted feelings on them blaming it on Suzzanne at first. On one hand, they know Vee's dangerous, on the other hand they knew it was wrong to blame it on Suzanne. 

I am interested to see where her character goes next season-hopefully she not be as easily manipulated/the other girls will look out for her more. 

Edited by AmyTinaMindy
  • Love 2