Type keyword(s) to search

Thrive Without Janelle: The Accountability Group

• Start Topic

The redness is exactly why I went in right away!! I keep getting told not to put anything on the incision. I have been using the remainder of the Hibiclens they gave me to shower with pre surgery, whenever I need to wash my hands. That is the extent of what I have been putting on my hand. Probably if I had waited one day to go in when the pus was showing, they would have pursued treatment differently, but that is not how I roll when my health is at risk...

I really need to have my surgeon look at my hand and go from there. (He is also the hand dr. I regularly see.) I don't think I am being out of line. I have seen a PA that was not involved at all with the surgery, and doesn't know my history.  Even though he is my surgeon's PA, he wasn't that helpful other the the rx for Keflex. 

I have had a lot of surgeries in my lifetime, never before have I gotten an infection. On 5/31, I had this exact surgery on my right hand with no problems at all. By this time with that surgery I had close to no pain and a lot of movement. Not so this time which really puzzles me. 

Sorry for the rant......I'm just so frustrated!

• Hugs 7

I'm sure you are upset and frustrated.  You did the right thing.  Hopefully the surgeon can take a moment to see what should be done and have someone call you tomorrow.  I wasn't trying to suggest something you should do now only what a surgeon did prescribe for me.  Up to that point it had been put nothing on the incision.  They close mine with glue which limits what one can allow to get on the incisions.  

• Like 3

I have actual stitches in my hand. I doubt glue would work with a body part that moves so much. I've actually never had an incision closed with glue. I'm sure it does have some different rules that have to be followed post op. But with both of these hand surgeries they did keep stressing not to put anything on the stitches.

I just hope I can at the least talk to my dr tomorrow and get in Tues. to see him. That is the appt the stitches are supposed to be removed, I don't know if they even can/will at this point.

• Hugs 4
7 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I'm going to call the surgeon's office again first thing Monday too just to be sure they act on my call re the appointment. Just maybe my dr will see me Monday though that is his OutPatient surgery day... sigh.

I have been taking photos each day of the changes just to show them I am not imagining this!

Even if the surgeon is unavailable on Monday I would still make sure I saw someone as soon as possible and the surgeon whenever he's available. If I didn't get anywhere I'd just show up on their doorstep with or without an appointment. But that's me. I wouldn't delay with an infection. It's harder because it's a weekend. Why do these things always happen on weekends and holidays - or in my case holiday weekends??? It's maddening.

Also, are you sending them the photos now? If they have any online portal I'd be sending them photos of my hand. All my doctors use an online portal that lets patients write them messages and upload photos. When I was freaking out about a bump under my arm my fears were put to rest after the doctor looked at my photos and told me it was just a zit!

Sorry to hear you're going through this, Gram. 🙁

• Like 5

They do have a portal, but I haven't used it. I tried a couple of times and it is just not easy to navigate.

I saw his PA at their Urgent Care on Friday. Saturday I left a voice message on  his nurse's number, that I needed to see him sooner because of an infection even though I am taking Keflex.  I plan to call again first thing tomorrow and talk to his nurse and see if he can see me that day or change my Thursday appt to Tuesday (his in office days). At this point with the message and another call, the portal won't get to him any sooner.....  It started to ooze this evening so I have to keep it covered all the time now until I see him.  I've been going to him for 11 years, he knows I'm not a cry baby/needy patient so he should realize it is something needing immediate attention. 

You are soooo right @Yeah No it is always on a weekend when they are closed that issues come up! Frustrating!

• Hugs 6
2 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

They do have a portal, but I haven't used it. I tried a couple of times and it is just not easy to navigate.

I saw his PA at their Urgent Care on Friday. Saturday I left a voice message on  his nurse's number, that I needed to see him sooner because of an infection even though I am taking Keflex.  I plan to call again first thing tomorrow and talk to his nurse and see if he can see me that day or change my Thursday appt to Tuesday (his in office days). At this point with the message and another call, the portal won't get to him any sooner.....  It started to ooze this evening so I have to keep it covered all the time now until I see him.  I've been going to him for 11 years, he knows I'm not a cry baby/needy patient so he should realize it is something needing immediate attention. 

You are soooo right @Yeah No it is always on a weekend when they are closed that issues come up! Frustrating!

That's too bad about the portal. Mine is pretty easy to use and often gets me the fastest response depending on the doctor. I hope he responds to you ASAP. In my case even though I said it was important I didn't hear back from anyone for days, which sucked. I had this big welt-like pimple getting bigger and starting to hurt and turn red right near my lymph node under my arm so of course I was going to be alarmed. I had never had anything like that there before and worried about what it could be. Of course that was on a big holiday weekend so it felt like forever until I heard from them.

• Like 4
(edited)

5,299 steps yesterday.

I didn't feel like much walking yesterday. I did do a lot of pacing in the evening when another  thunderstorm was in progress. Looking out windows to see if anything was down or blowing away etc. Basically just watching the storm pass over. I hate these thunderstorms!!!

Dr's nurse called me back first thing. Scheduled me for tomorrow morning as dr is in surgery today.  She sent me a link to use to get directly to the message part of the portal so I could send my photos to the dr.  She will show them to dr and he may up my Keflex to 4 a day vs 2 a day the Urgent Care PA prescribe for me.  She will call me back after dr sees the photos. So much easier talking to a person! Some of these new fangled systems/portals are just a bit too complicated for me to even try using.

At least some resolution is in sight now!

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Like 6
  • Love 4

I'm now good uploading attachments in the portal, but the first two times I tried, it was like a mysterious process.  I'm so glad they helped you and recognize the problem.  It sounds like a good doctor's office.  Hopefully your hand will be much better soon.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

5,299 steps yesterday.

I didn't feel like much walking yesterday. I did do a lot of pacing in the evening when another  thunderstorm was in progress. Looking out windows to see if anything was down or blowing away etc. Basically just watching the storm pass over. I hate these thunderstorms!!!

Dr's nurse called me back first thing. Scheduled me for tomorrow morning as dr is in surgery today.  She sent me a link to use to get directly to the message part of the portal so I could send my photos to the dr.  She will show them to dr and he may up my Keflex to 4 a day vs 2 a day the Urgent Care PA prescribe for me.  She will call me back after dr sees the photos. So much easier talking to a person! Some of these new fangled systems/portals are just a bit too complicated for me to even try using.

At least some resolution is in sight now!

I suggest you ask your dr. about Hibiclens.  It is an antibiotic liquid product to put on wounds.  Mr. Lookeyloo had a sternal wound infection after his bypass surgery and was on IV antibiotics for a year.  His sister who is a vet used the veterinary equivalent and recommended Hibiclens because it is in human form and he got it and poured it into the wound and in no time things cleared up.  Then he told the infectious disease doctor and she said "good stuff, we keep it in the shower at home".  It is available in the pharmacy or on amazon.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
5 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

I suggest you ask your dr. about Hibiclens.  It is an antibiotic liquid product to put on wounds.

Thanks for mentioning the Hibiclens! I have been using it every time I wash my hands.  I also used it in the shower the other day. They gave me a bottle of it before each hand surgery to shower with the morning of surgery. I still had some left from the first surgery that I'm using up now and have a full bottle behind it. Guess that says something about how bad this infection could have been. 

I'm hoping with the additional Keflex I can get this infection knocked down. It might help too to have the stitches out. 

Once again a thunderstorm is pushing through this afternoo. I just hope this one isn't so fierce!! 

• Like 8
(edited)

@jaybird2 This thread was originally started to "discuss" Janelle's decision to become an exercise coach as she had created an online site called Thrive with Janelle. We of course snarked away at how she was the least likely person to succeed in this endeavor. As Thrive with Janelle died a natural death we decided to document how we were Thriving doing our own exercise whatever form it might be. A natural outgrowth from that was discussing things that kept us from our exercises and how we over came them. 

It is basically a Chit Chat Thread now within the Sister Wives forum. In the full forum there are also threads for the kids, spouses, and episodes among others to discuss the show specifically

ETA Please anyone correct me if I am wrong...

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 2
(edited)

5,607 steps yesterday.

Yesterday all I did was a quick run to PO for my mail, and pharmacy for additional Keflex. Then did laundry before I ran out of steam..

Just got back from the dr.  What happened was I had a reaction to the stitches of all things. Each pocket of pus was at an insertion point of a stitch. Fortunately the additional dosage of the Keflex has kicked in and swelling is coming back down. He took out the stitches and my hand immediately felt better. Then he poked all the infection sites so they could drain and wrapped my hand. It feels sooo much better now! I see him again in a week for a follow up.

I told him I wasn't impressed with his PA's demeanor. He left me feeling like I was over reacting and the red was just part of the healing process. Then he says,  "just in case...I'll give you an antibiotic"... like I was some sort of hypochondriac... My dr said I did the right thing coming in as soon as I noticed a problem, that I did nothing wrong. He said he appreciated the feedback.

Edited by Gramto6
typo fixed wasn't
  • Like 6
  • Love 3
(edited)

@Gramto6 I’m so happy for you that you got in and are noticing results. It’s also good to hear you have a surgeon who listens to you. You must be glad you spoke up! Good for you!

Edited by ginger90
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

@jaybird2 This thread was originally started to "discuss" Janelle's decision to become an exercise coach as she had created an online site called Thrive with Janelle. We of course snarked away at how she was the least likely person to succeed in this endeavor. As Thrive with Janelle died a natural death we decided to document how we were Thriving doing our own exercise whatever form it might be. A natural outgrowth from that was discussing things that kept us from our exercises and how we over came them. 

It is basically a Chit Chat Thread now within the Sister Wives forum. In the full forum there are also threads for the kids, spouses, and episodes among others to discuss the show specifically

ETA Please anyone correct me if I am wrong...

Maybe change the name of the thread.

1 hour ago, jaybird2 said:

As @ginger90 said you can contact a MOD if you think a name change is needed. Personally, I think the name is perfect for what it has morphed into. We are striving and Thriving without any help from Janelle. We are accountable to ourselves for our activity schedules. Seems to be working as is....

Also notice the banner under the title of this thread Fun And Games. It isn't intended to be a discussion of the show.  There is a long list of SW threads in this SW forum for discussion of the show.

Just my 2¢.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

He took out the stitches and my hand immediately felt better.

Has your incision healed well enough to hold together without stitches?

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Denize said:

Has your incision healed well enough to hold together without stitches?

Yes, my surgery was 8/9 so 11 days. That is the same time frame my stitches came out of the other hand in June when I had the exact same surgery. I generally heal very quickly so no problem there.  My thought was with the infections around the stitches he wouldn't take them out today. However, the incisions (there were 2 different ones) were completely healed so no problem.

What was odd was if I was having a reaction to the stitches why didn't it happen in the other incision too. Maybe because the other was much smaller and not in a crease in my hand. A good question for my dr next appt!

• Like 4

That was my question.  What was different that made you react so adversely to these stitches.  

As far as the thread appearing to bother someone, it's easy to not read a thread.  I had to quit reading all of Bridgerton earlier this year.  I got irritated every time I opened the subforum.  Someone always said something that bothered me so on day 3 of feeling that way I stopped clicking on Bridgerton.  I wish I could say I then enjoyed season 3, but oh well. I at least skipped the irritation and my opinions of what I saw were my own and not influenced by others.  

• Like 8
12 minutes ago, Absolom said:

That was my question.  What was different that made you react so adversely to these stitches.  

As far as the thread appearing to bother someone, it's easy to not read a thread.  I had to quit reading all of Bridgerton earlier this year.  I got irritated every time I opened the subforum.  Someone always said something that bothered me so on day 3 of feeling that way I stopped clicking on Bridgerton.  I wish I could say I then enjoyed season 3, but oh well. I at least skipped the irritation and my opinions of what I saw were my own and not influenced by others. 

It is weird because I had zero problem with them on my right hand. They were like fine fishing line, some sort of plastic, very flexible. When I see him next week, I need to ask if they were different or new or somehow different from the other ones. I've never had problems with any stitches before. 

Yeah, re the thread, there are threads around this site I just don't go to, it is easy enough to just ignore them. I'm really not sure why this thread seems so out of place or misnamed to this person. Maybe looking for SW chat and since this is the only fairly active thread during the off season, it doesn't satisfy that reader's desire.  That's all I can think of...

• Like 6
(edited)
8 hours ago, jaybird2 said:

I agree with @Gramto6, I don't think a name change for this thread is necessary. I have often posted on my issues with diet/exercise here and that is also what this thread is supposed to be about. I don't even know what the name could be changed to either. I am sure that this should be a separate thread from the regular OT/Chit chat thread in the Sister Wives forum, though.

I am overdue for a post but sometimes don't want to repeat myself about my dieting woes because I feel like I can do that sometimes. I am trying to "thrive" but it seems like that's an uphill battle for me thanks to my medical/hereditary issues, etc.

Thanks to my husband booking a second cruise in 2 months (something he promises won't do that again!) I gained back the 4 pounds I lost from the 4 pound gain of the first cruise but it looks like I'm already down 2 from that so there is hope. It has unfortunately taken eating very little in order to accomplish that, something I couldn't do on a regular basis but thanks to my stomach being upset (which I'll get into later) it hasn't been that hard to achieve. At least I am not dealing with a huge weight gain from going on 2 cruises. But my overall difficulty with losing weight is very frustrating for me. It amazes me how I could get in 15,000 steps a day and watch what I eat and STILL gain 4 lbs. on a cruise! I watched everyone eat big plates of food full of fat, sugar and starches and it was excruciatingly awful at times. Of course everyone told me to enjoy myself but I know the consequences are much worse for me than for most people. They may gain 5 lbs. or more but they don't have to virtually starve themselves to lose it.

On the second cruise I tried a different strategy and had a medium-sized breakfast like 2 fried eggs or a small veggie omelet segment with fresh fruit and yogurt, a small hash brown segment and one piece of whole wheat toast with butter/jelly, then I'd go straight from that to dinner so I could maybe have a few bites of dessert (yes a few bites - my husband ate the rest). I think that was a good idea because at least I got to have a few bites of the BEST key lime pie I EVER had and other phenomenal things. I was very happy to find "no sugar added" options like a blueberry crumble made with oatmeal that was very good and not so offensive, especially topped with no-sugar added ice cream. I still gained 4 lbs. despite choosing the least offensive entrees at dinner, like fish or chicken. It might have been because my step count on the second cruise was a little lower - about 9 - 10,000 steps a day instead of 15,000. And we rarely had the buffet either (only at breakfast) so my portions were controlled.  Portion sizes are generally not that big on cruises but you can order as much as you want. Of course I didn't order more than one of anything and I often skipped things. Like I'd order a side salad but not an appetizer unless it was something very diet-friendly like smoked salmon and onions.

Also add to this that my best male friend has now been put on Ozempic by his doctor and I am just completely disgusted. I will confess that when I got home from this last cruise I tried going on the Metformin again that my doctor prescribed months ago. I wanted to see if I could cut the dosage down even more this time. Well, that didn't work, my stomach revolted after only 3 very small doses and it took me another 3 days to recover from that. I literally had to sleep it off. So forget those drugs until they come out with something that doesn't cause stomach upset (which I keep reading that they're working on right now). It's just very frustrating to see so many other people losing weight on those injectables and not being able to take them. I've been told that because of my propensity to have a stomach reaction to drugs that are known to give people those reactions I shouldn't try them. And given my awful reaction to Metformin I am not going to argue with that.

So it's very hard to "thrive" when you have all my issues, but I refuse to give up. Anyway that's it for now.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

It is weird because I had zero problem with them on my right hand. They were like fine fishing line, some sort of plastic, very flexible. When I see him next week, I need to ask if they were different or new or somehow different from the other ones. I've never had problems with any stitches before. 

Yeah, re the thread, there are threads around this site I just don't go to, it is easy enough to just ignore them. I'm really not sure why this thread seems so out of place or misnamed to this person. Maybe looking for SW chat and since this is the only fairly active thread during the off season, it doesn't satisfy that reader's desire.  That's all I can think of...

Yes, that was my thought, like were the stiches made of something different last time? Or could you have developed a sensitivity to it since the last surgery? I'd kind of doubt that but it should be interesting to find out.

I don't think the problem is with the name of this thread. I think the problem is that someone not familiar with the thread might not understand the meaning of its title or purpose but that's not the fault of the thread or its name in my humble opinion.

• Like 6

I enjoy reading this thread, and am glad we have something to discuss in the off-season. I agree the title is descriptive and fine as is. Just my 2 cents.

Glad you solved the problem with your hand/stitches @Gramto6 !

• Like 8
14 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

As @ginger90 said you can contact a MOD if you think a name change is needed. Personally, I think the name is perfect for what it has morphed into. We are striving and Thriving without any help from Janelle. We are accountable to ourselves for our activity schedules. Seems to be working as is....

Also notice the banner under the title of this thread Fun And Games. It isn't intended to be a discussion of the show.  There is a long list of SW threads in this SW forum for discussion of the show.

Just my 2¢.

My suggestion is In the interest of clarity so others logging for the first time know that there is no discussion of the show.

My suggestion is In the interest of clarity so others logging for the first time know that there is no discussion of the show.

I think the "Fun and Games" designation was supposed to take care of that, but perhaps a blue banner at the top of every page explaining the origins and purpose of this thread might be a good idea instead of changing the thread name or how it's categorized. FWIW pretty much everyone I've seen follow this thread knows those things so we haven't had any confusion about it here in the 4 years it has existed. But I think a blue banner might help someone finding themselves here that isn't that familiar with the show.

As far as I know this thread is supposed to be about taking accountability publicly for one's overall weight, health and fitness and discussing one's progress or lack thereof toward the end of "thriving" like Janelle was supposedly helping people achieve as a so-called coach. Except in this case we are doing it ourselves without Janelle.

• Like 5
(edited)

I can see how it might be a bit confusing to someone that wasn't here since the inception of the thread, however if someone new is looking for discussion of the show I don't think the place they would look to start is in a thread labeled FUN AND GAMES. To me that alone says that it isn't a serious discussion thread.

At any rate you are certainly entitled to your concerns and if you feel a need please do go to a MOD and state your concerns. Those of us that participate in this thread will continue to do so Striving and Thriving in honor of Janelle's attempt to be an exercise guru!

ETA: @Yeah No we both had the same idea at the same time!!

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Just now, Gramto6 said:

I can see how it might be a bit confusing to someone that wasn't here since the inception of the thread, however if someone new is looking for discussion of the show I don't think the place they would look to start is in a thread labeled FUN AND GAMES. To me that alone says that it isn't a serious discussion thread.

At any rate you are certainly entitled to your concerns and if you feel a need please do go to a MOD and state your concerns. Those of us that participate in this thread will continue to do so Striving and Thriving in honor of Janelle's attempt to be an exercise guru!

See my post above. I think a blue banner at the top of every page will take care of any confusion. No need to disrupt things for the occasional person that doesn't catch the reference.

• Like 4

Also, in the off season, the most active thread used to be the Sisterwives on social media thread, but then chatters would get flagged or banned for talking about something that hadn't aired yet, so the only things we could talk about were ourselves or rewatching old episodes.

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

See my post above. I think a blue banner at the top of every page will take care of any confusion. No need to disrupt things for the occasional person that doesn't catch the reference.

Yes,  I agree that could definitely help. 

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Yeah No said:

So it's very hard to "thrive" when you have all my issues, but I refuse to give up. Anyway that's it for now.

As one of my doctors says, consider the alternatives.  In my case one of the alternatives is death so yeah I'll put up with whatever the issue is.  My last surgery has left me with the opposite of your problem.  I'm fighting to keep on every ounce.  It's quite the mind game shifting from counting calories and watching food so I didn't gain to no I shouldn't buy that it's too low calorie.  I haven't fully made the switch and I keep waiting to suddenly start putting on pounds.

• Hugs 7

4,517 steps yesterday.

Not too much walking. Drive to dr, waiting there and drive home wore me out for the day. But glad hand is really on the mend now and will be glad to be finished with the antibiotics by the 25th so I can get back to my Meloxicam. My back and knees are really missing that relief! Then maybe the focus can be back to getting more steps...

@Yeah No it seems like you worked out a doable plan for eating on your cruises. At least you can enjoy some of the goodies w/out guilt that way.  Some of the weight problem I think is related to the two cruises being so close together. You probably (?) won't have that happen too often in the future. You'll have time to recoup in between. LOL, I wish I had the problem of gaining weight on too many cruises too close together!!!   😸 (((HUUGS))) 😸

@Absolom I am so sorry you are having medical problems that result in almost the exact opposite problem, too much weight loss. I hope there is some way you get get it resolved quickly. It has to be especially frustrating when all the ads are constantly bombarding us with weight loss food/meds/suggestions etc.  (((HUGS))) for you too! 😸

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I think the "Fun and Games" designation was supposed to take care of that, but perhaps a blue banner at the top of every page explaining the origins and purpose of this thread might be a good idea instead of changing the thread name or how it's categorized. FWIW pretty much everyone I've seen follow this thread knows those things so we haven't had any confusion about it here in the 4 years it has existed. But I think a blue banner might help someone finding themselves here that isn't that familiar with the show.

As far as I know this thread is supposed to be about taking accountability publicly for one's overall weight, health and fitness and discussing one's progress or lack thereof toward the end of "thriving" like Janelle was supposedly helping people achieve as a so-called coach. Except in this case we are doing it ourselves without Janelle.

Your idea of a banner is a good one.  I’m not new to SW’s or the threads but I haven’t been on the. SW’s

in a long time…..didn’t realize it’s been 4 yrs!,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

4,517 steps yesterday.

Not too much walking. Drive to dr, waiting there and drive home wore me out for the day. But glad hand is really on the mend now and will be glad to be finished with the antibiotics by the 25th so I can get back to my Meloxicam. My back and knees are really missing that relief! Then maybe the focus can be back to getting more steps...

@Yeah No it seems like you worked out a doable plan for eating on your cruises. At least you can enjoy some of the goodies w/out guilt that way.  Some of the weight problem I think is related to the two cruises being so close together. You probably (?) won't have that happen too often in the future. You'll have time to recoup in between. LOL, I wish I had the problem of gaining weight on too many cruises too close together!!!   😸 (((HUUGS))) 😸

Yay to your hand being on the mend! 👍😎 😺 That's great news today as was the weather report which has made the past two days more like Nova Scotia than Florida, the latter of which is what it's been like here for most of the Summer. Given all the crazy rain and flooding we've had, we deserve it!

I hope never to have two cruises that close together again. My husband agrees, thankfully. We have done next to nothing for several years since the pandemic so it sounds like a lot but it's really not. My friend told me today I should be happy I only gained 4 lbs. and have already lost 2 because most people gain 5-7 lbs. on a cruise. Yeah, but they eat a lot more than I do to gain that weight. I can't imagine how much I would have gained if I ate anything I wanted like most people do.

Speaking of that you should have seen the skinny older women piling their plates high at the buffet on this cruise! If I ate like that I would have gained 10 lbs. for sure! And of course I notice these things because that's how I am, LOL.

Back in 2005 we went to Ireland to visit his relatives and their home cooked food was so good I gained 7 lbs.! I was at least 20-30 lbs. thinner back then but already perimenopausal. I went on Weight Watchers when I got back and lost it all in no time. That was then, this is now. 

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 4
(edited)

I hope there is some way you get get it resolved quickly. It has to be especially frustrating when all the ads are constantly bombarding us with weight loss food/meds/suggestions etc.

Thanks.  I have an appointment with a specialist in September.  It was set for August and their office rescheduled.  Summer heat isn't helping.  It's killing what appetite I do have.   

I'm so glad your hand is finally healing and you can hopefully get back to normal soon.  

Edited by Absolom
  • Like 5
4 hours ago, Absolom said:

As one of my doctors says, consider the alternatives.  In my case one of the alternatives is death so yeah I'll put up with whatever the issue is.  My last surgery has left me with the opposite of your problem.  I'm fighting to keep on every ounce.  It's quite the mind game shifting from counting calories and watching food so I didn't gain to no I shouldn't buy that it's too low calorie.  I haven't fully made the switch and I keep waiting to suddenly start putting on pounds.

I complain about weight gain but to be honest I would be more worried about weight loss. I wish you could find a way to see the specialist sooner than September. That sucks that they rescheduled, but I know how it is.

• Like 3

Thanks.  In these times of over 40 per cent of US adults having obesity, doctors are geared for that and specialists like this one are scarce.  It's like mentioning digestive woes and everyone assumes constipation.  

• Like 4
  • Hugs 2

4,933 steps yesterday.

I took it easy yesterday and plan the same for today. I just want to give my hand a good rest now that it is truely on the mend before I dive back into normal activity.  Finally there aren't any impending storms coming that would require any prep, just sun and a few clouds for a change. So one more day of rest is the plan for today.

Oops! forgot to hit Submit this morning.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

4,961 steps yesterday.

Yesterday was another day of rest but today I have to get some housework done and a big load of laundry. I need to get out in the yard and collect all the small branches that came down in the last storm. That will also add some steps. But I'm still not going to push too hard.

• Like 5

Perhaps save the branches for tomorrow?  I came home from my walk early this morning and took a path so that was convenient because my left foot started hurting.  I may just need to break out the new shoes.  The Mayo clinic website suggests that as first option also.  I'm saving some of my planned work for tomorrow due to that also.

• Like 3
(edited)
7 hours ago, Absolom said:

Perhaps save the branches for tomorrow?

Whelp, I should have!! Cleaned up the lawn in the morning, day was looking very nice. Then about 6PM another Thunderstorm blew through with fierce winds again!!  More branches down! And it blew the swing off the porch again! 🙁 Plus a lightening strike hit in the hills across the valley from me! In less than an hour it had spread to 300 acres!

About 1/2 hour after strike:

IMG_2579.jpeg.186a40ab6cdb99dab8c4b4dd6aa70c9c.jpeg

About 2hrs later:

IMG_2593.jpeg.aadbf81312a8a0b530735b31e058f2a4.jpeg

Edited by Gramto6
  • Mind Blown 5
  • Sad 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

It's beautiful country.  The swing again?  This has been one strange summer.

It is gorgeous country, not so much when it is burning! Yeah, the weather has been totally crazy this Summer!!  It is getting so almost every other day late afternoon/early evening there is a fierce thunderstorm that blows harder than it ever has before. Today's winds were 70-75mph!  I get so tense while it is blowing, that I have no stomach to eat any dinner. I hate the wind as it is, and this is just making me really jumpy!

Edited by Gramto6
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Hugs 4
21 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

It is gorgeous country, not so much when it is burning! Yeah, the weather has been totally crazy this Summer!!  It is getting so almost every other day late afternoon/early evening there is a fierce thunderstorm that blows harder than it ever has before. Today's winds were 70-75mph!  I get so tense while it is blowing, that I have no stomach to eat any dinner. I hate the wind as it is, and this is just making me really jumpy!

Yes that's gorgeous country alright - there's a reason they call it "Big Sky Country"! That is scary weather stuff for sure. We've had similar scary stuff here too this Summer. I learned what a "microburst" is and a friend described some kind of crazy wind phenomenon in her town that turned over a car out of nowhere. Plus of course that unprecedented flooding in another part of the state I mentioned in the other thread. Until this Summer I've never heard of such things in my entire life before! BTW that late afternoon/early evening thunderstorm is typical of tropical climates, not here in the North, but that's what we've been getting too. We've actually had a few days of beautiful, dry weather in the past few days that I've been enjoying because it's been so rare but I hear next week the heat and humidity are going to be back. 🙁

• Like 3
(edited)

5,535 steps yesterday.

The high yesterday was around 80°, I didn't catch the actual temp. Todays' forecast is 71°/45° cloudy with "possible" showers in the morning and "possible" thunderstorms later. Sheesh, even the weather people are guessing! At least this fire is no threat to me here, but it is a reminder it can easily happen here too!  The fire is not unusual for this time of year, but these high wind storms are!I may again pick up branches, but then may just leave them for a few days....

I was going to make a quick grocery run but the evacuation center is in the Mormon church right across the street from the store so it is probably best to steer clear from there. The bigger store in town has the fire info stands all set up so I expect it is crazy there too! I'll give things a chance to settle some before I venture out.

This is the fire from my window again, as of about 7AM this morning. It has now consumed 1600 acres:

IMG_2596.thumb.jpg.956f872c09e319a4f3f19089f8954619.jpg

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 5
On 8/21/2024 at 1:07 AM, Yeah No said:

Also add to this that my best male friend has now been put on Ozempic by his doctor and I am just completely disgusted.

Can I ask why?  I know it’s controversial!

7 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Can I ask why?  I know it’s controversial!

Oh I'm just disgusted because it seems like everyone is going on Ozempic or one of those injectable weight loss drugs and I can't take them because they would likely make me sick to my stomach. It's not because I have any objection to people taking them. I would take one of them in a hot minute if I thought I could tolerate it and lose some weight.

This was admittedly a rough month for me diet-wise. First a cruise now my birthday week which unfortunately turned into non-stop eating out (I know, some people think this is a non-problem). For me it is a problem. I agonize over every bit of food that goes into my body. I feel like the doctors don't care or have given up on me. If you can't take the drugs they push they want you to hurt and kill yourself exercising. I am 66 years old, how much exercising can I do? I still have to take care of my life. I already cook, clean, shop, have a life, I can't do more than I already am without risking injury. I'm doing the best I can but it's not enough for my body, unfortunately. If walking 15,000 steps a day when I was on my cruises and only eating 2 already highly edited and scaled back meals a day wasn't enough to prevent gaining 4 lbs. I don't know what else I can do except risk hurting myself. I know 4 lbs., even 10 doesn't sound like a lot but I look at the photos of me from last year vs. now and I feel like I look like I gained at least 20 lbs. It's because I'm so short, every pound looks like double what it looks like on taller people. Also it all goes to my midsection so that doesn't help either. And forget it, losing it means having to scale back to calorie intakes that most doctors would say were too low and not recommend. And to do that I am miserable and starving all the time!

But at this point it's not all about my appearance. I want to reduce my cholesterol, which is high (I also can't take statins), my blood pressure (which is getting higher) and my blood sugar, which is still normal but going into the "yellow" zone. Some of these numbers are higher because of my weight. I know some of it is because of medical conditions like not having a gallbladder, which does tend to raise some of these numbers. This is putting me at a higher risk of stroke and my mother died of one at 76, only 10 years older than me. Granted, she was a LOT more overweight than I am (and I would still be considered overweight if I lost 50 lbs.) but if I let things get out of control I could end up like her. And I value my life. I am just waiting for them to come out with something I can take. Losing weight for me is the key to everything I suffer from, including edema in my lower legs and feet.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 5
14 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Oh I'm just disgusted because it seems like everyone is going on Ozempic or one of those injectable weight loss drugs and I can't take them because they would likely make me sick to my stomach. It's not because I have any objection to people taking them. I would take one of them in a hot minute if I thought I could tolerate it and lose some weight.

I’ll disclose, I’m on it and I am the type of person who is always nauseous.  Every medication I take hurts my stomach, but this actually doesn’t.  The benefits are pretty great, weight loss and zero joint pain, my cholesterol and blood pressure are perfect.

Metformin is a totally different medicine.  My aunt was so sick on that they had to wheel her out of the grocery store, but on zepbound, she has zero nausea. I think you should give it a try.  Other people I know have waited and waited to start it and the only regret is not doing it sooner.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 6

5,733 steps yesterday.

I took the chance and picked up a bunch of branches yesterday and also fished the boxes from the creek I could reach, using my tree trimmer at full extension. Chores inside and rebuilding some of the cat cardboard box shelters outside. Fortunately it was a calm storm-free day for a change! 

Hand is much better, skin is healing/shedding and movement isn't that painful. Today is last day of Keflex so I can go back on the Metformin and Meloxicam tomorrow. My back and knees will feel much better for that!

The fire is about the same.  They are working on defending the homes in the area and dropping fire retardant at the bottom edge of the fire to keep it away from the residences in its path. Fortunately the wind is blowing away from my area so the air is better today, thank goodness!

• Like 8
3 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

I’ll disclose, I’m on it and I am the type of person who is always nauseous.  Every medication I take hurts my stomach, but this actually doesn’t.  The benefits are pretty great, weight loss and zero joint pain, my cholesterol and blood pressure are perfect.

Metformin is a totally different medicine.  My aunt was so sick on that they had to wheel her out of the grocery store, but on zepbound, she has zero nausea. I think you should give it a try.  Other people I know have waited and waited to start it and the only regret is not doing it sooner.  

Thanks but I'm very sensitive in general to all medications. If I had a full dose of anything I'd have a reaction to it, even over the counter medications other than Tylenol for some reason and thank goodness because it's the only pain killer I can tolerate. There are entire classes of drugs and substances that produce a stomach reaction or something different altogether like a general malaise which makes me so fatigued and sick I can't function. I was put on different hormones during menopause to help with my horrible PMS and had a bad reaction to all of them - even the tiniest little dose made me ill. This is why I hope I never have to be put on thyroid hormone. I was already put on natural thyroid hormone years ago and had the same bad reaction to it I had to the other hormones (progesterone and estrogen). My mother was the same and it's the main reason she died at 76 - She was unfortunate enough to have to have her thyroid removed because of a goiter and had to take thyroid hormone only her body could not tolerate the dose she needed. So without anything to regulate her metabolism her weight shot up and she became very obese and died of a stroke. Obesity raises one's chances of a stroke by a LOT.

There are more drugs I can't take than I can and even the ones I can take have to be about 1/4 of the lowest dose normally given. I am actually deathly allergic to all salicylates, meaning aspirin and ibuprofen as well as other derivatives. My other reactions are not deadly but considered intense sensitivity reactions but those can be bad enough. Whenever I am prescribed a new drug I find out if I can cut the pill down and if I can I don't start on any more than 1/4 of the pill and in many cases I can't tolerate even that! And if I can't cut it down I try one pill and say a prayer. I often find out the hard way that I can't tolerate that and pay for it for at least a day or two afterward. And this is taking the smallest dose they make. My doctor calls it the "children's dose". So I have to take a fraction of a children's dose.

So I think after hearing all that you can understand that an every two week injectable is not a good idea for me. I have been given the "time release" version of a drug only to find out that my body doesn't react to it any better than the regular version. If Ozempic came in pill form I'd have no problem taking 1/4 of a pill just to see how I react, like I did with the Metformin. But taking a full dose that stays in your system for 2 weeks would be a nightmare for me if I reacted the way I usually do to drugs. I have known people that have risked that with an injectable (not a weight loss drug) only to regret it as it rendered them sick and bedridden for a few weeks until it wore off. No thanks. That's why I'm waiting for them to come out with pill alternatives that cause fewer side effects, which I hear they're doing right now.

So I am sorry to say I have a real problem here. I have high cholesterol and haven't been able to tolerate anything I've tried for it. And I've tried many of the alternatives, even red yeast rice gave me the same reaction as statins do - aches and pains and joint issues that make me feel 90 years old. I do take the natural stuff like niacin, garlic and omega 3 fatty acids though, but so far I still have high cholesterol nonetheless. I've heard of some new prescription stuff but some of it is only for people already on a statin or it is an injectable. And do I want to go through the usually unsuccessful routine of trying them and feeling like crap for a few days if they don't work out?

Weight loss would certainly help lower my cholesterol and most if not all of my other issues, plus lower my odds of a stroke. But there's the rub!

I know it's controversial but I'm so desperate to lose weight I was even looking into nicotine lozenges as a way to lose weight. Nicotine has been shown to raise metabolism and aid in weight loss. I only smoked for 10 years and quit way back in the '80s without any assistance. I know that nicotine is not what is really bad about smoking. It's more the tar and smoke itself that causes health problems. The problem is that I don't want to be dependent on any substance and it is addicting. I know exactly how addicting it is and I don't really want to go back there. So I don't really think it's an option but it's sad that I even felt forced to consider it.

• Hugs 5