Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: The Stranger

• Start Topic

And we're back! At least bring a new theme song.

They are trying to give Tariq some of Ghost's qualities but he is not likable to be the lead. Every week I watch...I will want him dead or in jail. 

Ghost is not buried yet and we haven't seen Tariq show any remorse/guilt/wake up in sweat for killing his father. The kid is a sociopath. In court, he could have confessed but kept silent, I thought he wanted the truth to come out?!

Why is everybody bending backwards to help Tariq? Effie gives him the drugs (no problem). The stripper sells for Tariq (no problem for her. She quit on Tasha last season). Instead of newly fired Tameka just going home, she needs to call Tariq immediately. Tariq messes up with the first verbal exam... he gets a second chance.

It bothered me to see the 3 teachers were in awe/smiling as Tariq was talking. 

Poor Lauren (the new young Angela) will be corrupted by Tariq. So far, she is the only likeable character on this show.

And here is the new young Tasha: Diana. Hooked on Tariq very quickly. Unreal!

And here is the new young Kanan: Cane. Even the name is close. Surprised the guy returned to call him out. Most fools would just start shooting.

And the new Proctor: Davis.

Not sure if Brayden is Tommy material.

Seems odd to assigned newly enrolled Tariq to "tutor" Zeke (the prized stereotypical basketball player). I have a feeling Zeke is going to get killed.

For all the crews we've seen during the seasons of "Power", Aunt Monae should have been introduced/mentioned sometime during a season. She seems powerful.

How old is Zeke? He looks 30. 

I bet Tariq will have a brief romance with the teacher.

Because they killed all the good characters, we are now left to explore the life of Cooper "Nancy" Saxe!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How old is Zeke? He looks he is 30.

"Of course! He likes basketball". Can we get rid of Simon already?!?!!

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, mxc90 said:

They are trying to give Tariq some of Ghost's qualities but he is not likable to be the lead. Every week I watch...I will want him dead or in jail.

Same here.  There was entirely too much Tariq for me.  I expected it, since the show is technically about him, but I just can't.  I really wish they would shift the show to focus on Mary J Blige's family, cause holy shit! That's a real queenpin right there. Tasha tried, but she could never.

6 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Seems odd to assigned newly enrolled Tariq to "tutor" Zeke (the prized stereotypical basketball player). I have a feeling Zeke is going to get killed.

It seemed like it was part of the quid pro quo for getting him into the school after the school year had already started. 

I don't think I'll be committing to this.  If I do watch, I'll be fast forwarding to watch scenes around MJB's family cause I wanna know their backstory. And of course I'll be checking in here to catch up.

Forgot to add that Method Man was looking sexy!  Damn!

• Love 2
13 hours ago, mxc90 said:

I bet Tariq will have a brief romance with the teacher.

Really you think? I’m not getting “cradle robber vibes” from her. And Tariq looks to have a least 3 possible love interests. She and her co-worker used to hang, we might have some chemistry between them. 

I like the series so far. Tariq’s friend from Choate is such a stupid guy but I do think he’s actually Tariq’s friend. That basketball player is going to cause problems. 

I have to say I wasn’t expecting Tasha to name Tommy. 

I think if you hadn’t seen power you’d be confused by who’s who but it has potential. 

• Love 1
On 9/6/2020 at 9:14 AM, mxc90 said:

Thank you. 

Tariq has:

Foolishly worked for Kanan while not letting Ghost/Tommy know he was back in the picture.

Got caught stealing drugs from Tommy when he tried to get in the game.

Got Kanan killed

Got his sister killed

Killed his father.

Got his mother to take the fall for him killing his father.

I didn't even plan on watching because I hate the character so much but as long as they spread out the story with the ensemble, I'll continue.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Really you think? I’m not getting “cradle robber vibes” from her. And Tariq looks to have a least 3 possible love interests. She and her co-worker used to hang, we might have some chemistry between them. 

Maybe not this season but for shock value and to get Tariq a reputation, I can see writers doing this.

4 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

This whole time I was thinking the professor was Kat Graham! Holy shit they are doppelgängers.

They really do look alike. Kat’s a few years younger and her face is more oval, Melanie’s is more heart shaped. 

On 9/6/2020 at 9:14 AM, mxc90 said:

And we're back! At least bring a new theme song.

Ghost is not buried yet and we haven't seen Tariq show any remorse/guilt/wake up in sweat for killing his father. The kid is a sociopath. In court, he could have confessed but kept silent, I thought he wanted the truth to come out?!

Why is everybody bending backwards to help Tariq? Effie gives him the drugs (no problem). The stripper sells for Tariq (no problem for her. She quit on Tasha last season). Instead of newly fired Tameka just going home, she needs to call Tariq immediately. Tariq messes up with the first verbal exam... he gets a second chance.

1) I agree on the theme song.

2) Effie just giving him drugs,.. I got a problem with that. I watched Tariq take the drugs and not pay her. I'm like "people die for that or less."

-

-

-

Additionally, I'm assuming this a one-season thing. This is book 2 and and next season is book 3 focusing on other characters and so on. If this is the case, this season should not end with a happy ending. Tariq goes to prison or he dies. Everyone shouldn't be out and free and happy.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, AntFTW said:

Additionally, I'm assuming this a one-season thing. This is book 2 and and next season is book 3 focusing on other characters and so on. If this is the case, this season should not end with a happy ending. Tariq goes to prison or he dies. Everyone shouldn't be out and free and happy.

It was my understanding the spin-offs were series of their own. Kind of like the Arrow-verse, series set in the same universe and some may have intersecting episodes/crossovers. 

Of course 50 kept the same tired, worn out theme song. I like the new graphics though. Interesting that it showed Ghost walking away from instead of toward the viewer.

Is Stansfield supposed to be an east coast take on Stanford?

Tameika was looking great. Getting off the government dole has done her well.

Good role for Method Man. Kind of against type.

Is canonical studies what they're calling honors college now? Tariq is not smart enough for that. And is Stansfield a religious school?

I already hate Tariq's rich buddy from Choate. Trying too hard to be a cool bruh. 🙄

Jabari is fine. And smart too? 🙂

So they're building out the Cooper Saxe character. And he's from an elite family. Hmmm.

Tariq's roommate is a lot. Ditto comments upthread, I don't see him making it through the season. Heck, badass Tariq might kill him.

So Tariq did not realize Zeke is connected to a big-time crime family until he was doing his googling at the library? (And I'm impressed 50 and Starz were able to get permission to use the Google logo. Bet that cost a few $$$$.)

Lol, Tasha pinned Ghost's murder on Tommy? Tommy's probably in the middle of Kansas on I-70 heading west. He can get "lost" real easy out in the wilds.

Mary J isn't much of an actress but I guess the character acts low-key enough to make it work. She's definitely got the look though. Wonder if there will ever be a reason for Monet to sing? 🤗

Ugh, I guess I can hate-watch this but good grief is it messy. And Tariq as a criminal mastermind is still a stupid joke to me.

9 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

So Tariq did not realize Zeke is connected to a big-time crime family until he was doing his googling at the library? (And I'm impressed 50 and Starz were able to get permission to use the Google logo. Bet that cost a few $$$$.)

With regard to the logo, I've always been under the impression that as long as you use the logo or product as intended, you don't need permission to use a logo like showing a character performing a search on Google, a scenario is which the character is using the product and logo as intended. Anybody, please correct me if I'm wrong but that's always been my impression. Also, could be a product placement type of thing.

Also, which regard to the big time crime family, I'm curious if they'll connect some original Power characters to them or showing them having crossed paths before. It's kind of "easy" because how does one big-time crime family (our original Power characters) who rose to the top of the drug game in the same market not have some sort of run-in with this other big-time crime family in the same market (the Tejadas)?

• Love 1

With regard to the logo, I've always been under the impression that as long as you use the logo or product as intended, you don't need permission to use a logo like showing a character performing a search on Google, a scenario is which the character is using the product and logo as intended. Anybody, please correct me if I'm wrong but that's always been my impression. Also, could be a product placement type of thing.

It's my understanding, for example, that Apple doesn't allow their logo to be used in a negative way in TV and movies. If you see a criminal using a an Apple laptop the apple logo will be covered with another fake logo. So by extension I was surprised to see the Google logo used by a criminal in a show about criminals. Maybe Google has looser standards? Either way, I don't see them paying for product placement. Few companies have better brand recognition than Google, in the entire world.

Also, which regard to the big time crime family, I'm curious if they'll connect some original Power characters to them or showing them having crossed paths before. It's kind of "easy" because how does one big-time crime family (our original Power characters) who rose to the top of the drug game in the same market not have some sort of run-in with this other big-time crime family in the same market (the Tejadas)?

Yes, I wondered about that too. I'm thinking at least Angela would've been familiar with them. (But show, please don't bring her back for flashbacks. No.) Maybe it was a situation where the Ghost and the Tejadas reached an agreement to stay in their own territories? That doesn't explain the Italians, the Serbians, etc., though. New York is big but maybe not that big.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Yes, I wondered about that too. I'm thinking at least Angela would've been familiar with them. (But show, please don't bring her back for flashbacks. No.) Maybe it was a situation where the Ghost and the Tejadas reached an agreement to stay in their own territories? That doesn't explain the Italians, the Serbians, etc., though. New York is big but maybe not that big.

I could see this kind of flashback happening with Cooper Saxe since he's the only one still there. I'm curious at why his character specifically was so valuable to save for the spin off.

• Love 2
On 9/8/2020 at 9:58 PM, AntFTW said:

Well it could be that Ghost and Tasha know who they are, but don’t have close business connections with them. TARIQ doesn’t know who they are. Tariq doesn’t know anyone. He’s an 18yrs old kid who just found out about a 2yrs go his Dad was a drug dealer. 

I could see Tasha having info on the Tejadas when she gets out. 

• Love 1

Unfortunately, it was exactly what I expected... the worst character from the original show played by the worst actor.  I basically spent 60 minutes wishing someone would slap him in the face.  Who thought this was a bright idea?

Tony Soprano's sister played the judge?

Edited by nasir jones
ETA:
  • Love 2