Type keyword(s) to search

Gazing into the Mirror of Galadriel: The Speculation Thread

• Start Topic

I thought I should start this, because I have predictions based on cast-members' photos and such.

In no particular order, I'm guessing Sophia Nomvete and Megan Richards as dwarves. Based on this photo, they both have broad frames. It's just an observation, not a criticism. Your average dwarf has a broad frame in pretty much every picture I've seen. However, here's a pondering. To female dwarves in LOTR have beards? They did in Jackson's Hobbit, and the Dwarrow Scholar agrees with that depiction. Scroll down to the voice section. So I suspect that we'll be getting women with beards.

Maxim Baldry is at least a part-time musician, which suggests elf.

There's something about the faces of Joseph Mawle and Ismael Cruz Cordova that say Sauron to me. Mawle if he's ugly, Cordova if he's pretty. Not that Mawle is acutually ugly, just that he can be made up that way.

Look at this picture of Tom Budge! Does that say a relative of Thranduil to anyone else? Something haughty at any rate.

Charlie Vickers played Sean Bean's son in the TV series Medici. Which means I want him to be a distant ancestor of Boromir. I'm probably entirely wrong about that.

Dyan Smith has a face that says crusty old Numenorean king to me. Recently spotted with a decent beard. Numenorean or dwarf. Elves rarely go for beards.

We'll see how wrong I am.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Anduin said:

In no particular order, I'm guessing Sophia Nomvete and Megan Richards as dwarves. Based on this photo, they both have broad frames. It's just an observation, not a criticism.

Could be hobbits, they look kind of hobbit-like.  Third Age aside, hobbits don't play a large historical role in Middle Earth however, so who knows?  According to Tolkien, not only did female dwarves have beards, they were basically indistinguishable from males.

• Love 3

That is the best looking pic of Joseph Mawle I’ve ever seen. He is probably playing a bad guy Numenorean (he does it so well) but not Sauron. Sauron was supposed to be beautiful. (The other actor you linked is certainly that!)

• Love 3
6 hours ago, paigow said:

Was the actor who was young Ned Stark [flashback] cast in this show? Nobody better If you want great-great-grand uncle for Boromir

Yep, Robert Aramayo. Another potential Gondorian. I forgot him yesterday. 😞

• Love 2
On 8/25/2020 at 10:05 AM, rmontro said:

Could be hobbits, they look kind of hobbit-like.  Third Age aside, hobbits don't play a large historical role in Middle Earth however, so who knows?  According to Tolkien, not only did female dwarves have beards, they were basically indistinguishable from males.

Yep. While Tolkien didn't specifically mention beards, he did say that there are few dwarf-women, probably no more than a third of the whole people. They seldom walk abroad except at great need. They are in voice and appearance, and in garb if they must go on a journey, so like to the dwarf-men that the eyes and ears of other peoples cannot tell them apart.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

They are in voice and appearance, and in garb if they must go on a journey, so like to the dwarf-men that the eyes and ears of other peoples cannot tell them apart.

Was this a Legolas / Gimli bit in the Jackson trilogy? 

Further cast speculation. Nazanin Boniadi's character, Bronwyn, is described as a single mother. I'm guessing Tyroe Muhafidin is playing her son. He's about the right age and he has a similar skin tone, unlike the other two kids who are too pale.

Ema Horvath looks like she could be an elf.

Speaking of elves, Amelie Child Villiers very much looks the part. While Beau Cassidy has to be a hobbit, or maybe a dwarf. Probably hobbit.

Before we get a trailer tomorrow, anyone want to share their guesses?

• Love 1

Bit of an update, I'm going to guess that Ema Horvath is playing Celebrian. Galadriel's daughter, Elrond's wife, Arwen's mother. She looks elfy, she's a couple of years younger than Robert Aramayo. Is she pretty enough to pass for Morfydd Clark's daughter? Liv Tyler's mother? She is to me. YMMV, of course.

• Useful 2

Interesting.  Elrond courting Celebrian?  Cute.  Will we also meet Elros?  I suppose he's already long dead.  Will the show explain the whole genesis of the Numenoreans?  That would take a whole episode in itself.

Love your new avatar, Anduin.  

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Interesting.  Elrond courting Celebrian?  Cute.  Will we also meet Elros?  I suppose he's already long dead.  Will the show explain the whole genesis of the Numenoreans?  That would take a whole episode in itself.

Love your new avatar, Anduin.  

Second Age is 3,100 years long. The show will be crammed into the last century, probably the last 10 years or so. Elros died at 500. He'd be gone nearly 2,500 years ago. But I expect Elrond to talk about his connection to the kings of Numenor at some point.

Thanks, I wanted something more LOTR-esque. It's from this. Rohan is probably by favourite LOTR culture.

• Love 2