Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E12: The Stranger

CooperTV

Now, that was just cruel how the episode kept playing up how unselfish and even heroic Murphy was to keep helping out Madi and the rest even if it put him in danger, and making me think it was all going to be the end for him.  Granted, he's now Sheidheda's prisoner and it looks like he is tasked to spend his days playing chess with him, but hopefully Clarke's sudden return to Sanctum will cause Sheidheda to take his eye off of him for now!

Speaking of Sheidheda, I believe he was using some kind of automatic weapon when he was mowing down the Children of Gabriel, but JR Bourne seem to be doing it in a way that was similar to when actors use Tommy Guns in those old (and new) mafia films.  Maybe he's prepping for another role!

Nice seeing Clarke and Octavia interact some more.  Especially since it was way less hostile than normal!

Bellamy might be totally under the cult's spell, but he might actually have a point that this isn't exactly the first time something outlandish has happened to the gang.

Hey, I actually have a positive moment for Bill!  I was amused by his dismissive "I guess my daughter killed my son" line.  I guess when you're a self-proclaimed savior in a future far away from your loved ones, there is no point in getting upset about the frivolous things!

I honestly forgot all about Echo's self-made scars that I was wondering what the hell Bellamy was going on about with his horrified reaction to her face.  You can barely see them.  Because you can't ugly up Tasya Teles!

I'm not the biggest Jordan fan, but the man is a trooper for not rolling his eyes at "woe is me" Hope.  Yeah, yeah, I know I should be feeling bad for her.  But I can't.  She rid the show of both the awesome Diyosa and my Neal McDonough fix.  Unforgivable!

Everyone but Clarke, Bellamy, Raven, and Gabriel have been sent to another planet.  I wonder if it is a new one or one of the other non-Sanctum ones we've already been to.

Next episode isn't till September 9th?  I guess they're really dragging this out since none of the CW's normal fall shows will be available.  

• Love 3

Gotta admit, this episode had me thinking Murphy would absolutely be dead by the end of it, and he wasn't, so, yay fakeout, show. And glad to see that the two divergent plots are finally more or less back together even if this only happened through yet another massacre and sending multiple characters to yet another planet.

Otherwise:

1. On the one hand, thank you, EvilHeda, for getting rid of one of these crazy groups, making the entire plot easier to follow. I approve. On the other hand, if you keep killing everyone off, you won't have anyone left to rule over, EvilHeda! Did you think of that?

2. Also, and I don't exactly mean to be critical of EvilHeda's murderous ruling style, but, uh, didn't he just kill off pretty much all of the people who have left the very specific Sanctum area and can thus tell him something about the planet and the various weird things that can happen there? Seriously, EvilHeda, for someone who is supposed to be strategic you don't seem to be thinking all that far ahead.

3. Meanwhile, this is all leading up to EvilHeda having this code thing in his head, right, and everyone having to work with him in order to end wars, although that is not exactly his style, and then realizing that Madi can just, well, draw it.

4. "The man I love would not be ok with torturing Raven!" I dunno, Echo, the man you love - pre-brainwashed Bellamy - was ok with all kinds of things. I mean, that might be the line, but who knows?

4. GO ECHO GO PUSH THIS GUILT TRIP PUSH IT.

5. So, I've admittedly never been on the Becho train, but, brainwashed Bellamy, even I have got to agree with Echo that hot sex with Echo is much better than supporting a cult leader. Echo is hot, Bellamy, and she was careful enough to ensure that her new scars would not detract one bit from her classic beauty. FOCUS ON THE SEX, BELLAMY it will be better for you and for the CW's ratings!

6. Really, EvilHeda, you need to spend less time killing people and more time paying attention to the fact that the rest of the regular cast is no longer on the planet!

7. Oh, great, a potential romance between my two least favorite main characters on this show - Jordan and Hope. (head thunk). If I just agree to believe that they hooked up offscreen, can we leave it there and not revisit it again?

8. I do appreciate Bellamy pointing out all of the least probable plot points from the previous seasons and Clarke responding by criticizing this season's costumes.

9. I dunno, EvilHeda, speaking just for me, I really prefer a less bumpy chair with lots of cushions. Those skulls are eventually going to do one hell of a number on your back. 

10. Clarke, feel free to slap Bill in the face. I would.

11. And awww, Murphy with saying that Emori would be on the right side of the door. Sniffle. And then Emori announcing that she was willing to use a nuclear reactor against EvilHeda. Also aww. Especially since she and Murphy know that nightblood will only protect him so far.

12. I guess the one plus of all of this planet hopping is that it does provide a convenient way to get a number of the secondary/minor characters out of the way for a bit. My one question is where did they go? I assumed not to Skyring/Penance, since that would require the show to spend considerable time and, more importantly, expense, on aging makeup for a number of characters. Clearly not to Sanctum or they would have been the first to interrupt EvilHeda's chess game. The planet where they left all the corpses didn't feel exactly safe to me but maybe there's a nicer part somewhere else on that planet. Or maybe they went to the Planet That Melted Bellamy's Brain knowing that Niylah, at least, would feel right at home there since it looks just like various parks just outside Vancouver er I mean the Grounder territory from seasons 1 through 4. Or maybe a new planet. Or maybe Earth. Enquiring minds want to know, show!

Speaking of Niylah, though - I completely understand sending Miller and Hope off - they don't really have any useful info and I assume Bill finds Hope as irritating as I do.  But Bill knows that Niylah has information - oral history information, but still, information - about the Flame and the Flamekeepers. They discussed it. Recently. He might not know about Jordan's Korean knowledge - but really, given that Bellamy just told us in this episode that the Bardo people were constantly spying on Clarke and Gang, Bill should know about that too. Given all of this THIS IS SO CRITICALLY IMPORTANT stuff, why send away two people with potentially useful info? 

• Love 4
(edited)
4 hours ago, quarks said:

FOCUS ON THE SEX, BELLAMY it will be better for you and for the CW's ratings!

The only thing that brought the increase is Bellamy himself, no sex needed, lets be honest here, lol.

Screenshot.png.21c8b5b4b651c244f9a8430ce229f18c.png

Edited by CooperTV
7 hours ago, CooperTV said:

The only thing that brought the increase is Bellamy himself, no sex needed, lets be honest here, lol.

And I would argue that people also only came back because they remembered the show was back from hiatus when they missed the last episode.

Listen, The 100...do not ever try to make me think that Murphy is dead throughout an episode ever unless you're following through. And even then, please don't do that. I know we only have four more episodes but I'd rather see the Cockroach live to the very end. He's the Cockroach for a reason. Seriously, I am proud of Murphy, like Indra, and love that people are acknowledging that Murphy is, actually quite quickly, shaping up to be the best leader this show might have ever had. Ok, maybe that's a bit overboard...but he's in the top ten and continuing to rise. He's literally sacrificing himself for kids. And I would say that, even though it's a bit fast, we've been seeing character progression from Murphy for ages so this isn't a random, out of character change. It's just a shame we only have a few episodes left and we can't see more of Leader Murphy. 

That being said, I think he lives and we'll see him and Emori ruling Sanctum. Or, Murphy dies but is brought back in another body. I haven't decided which option, since technically, Murphy would be alive still but it might just be sans Richard Harmon (and that's a big no-no). Seriously, show, just leave my favourite character alone and in peace. I don't really have anyone else to root for here. Memori is also the OTP and if they're destroyed at the end of this show, I will riot. Murphy and Emori deserve a true happy ending. Look how badass they were in this episode! 

As for the other stuff happening in Sanctum....Murphy, you should have just shot Nikki in the head when you had the chance because she is 100% escaping and probably turning on you through Emori. I just don't think she bought your little "I was buddy-buddy with your husband....but I'll totally threaten you with putting you in the place where he died...but we can have drinks later!" And Madi gains herself a friend and we get to hear a little more of her backstory. All of these character interactions and backstories would have worked if we had an eighth season. At this point, it feels too little too late to have these scenes because it's totally wasting time at points. 

Also, RIP Nelson and the CoG. I guess you weren't really needed and it starts to wean out the Sanctum people, but still, at least there's some respect for you standing behind your beliefs. Also, when the HELL did Sheidheda lean how to expertly use a gun? I'm pretty sure he didn't learn that when he was actually alive on Earth and there's no way he learned how to use a gun through any of the other Commanders or through Madi. And I'm positive Sanctum didn't use these types of guns so he couldn't know this through Russell, who he killed anyway. C'mon, show. That completely took out of the supposedly badass moment that you were aiming for. SHEIDHEDA SHOULDN'T KNOW HOW TO USE GUNS. AT ALL. 

As for the Bardo stuff.....I guess Bellamy's actions are in character. We've seen him betray his friends for what he thought was the right thing with the Pike stuff. But it's just so....sad to see Bellamy so submissive in the presence of Bill Cadogan. All this "Yes Shepherd" and "I'm sorry, M'Shepherd" is just kind of pathetic to listen to, as if he's afraid of this dude, who, quite honestly, would be beaten in a physical fight against any of our characters.

Echo was great in her scene with Bellamy. Tasya Teles is really doing a fantastic job this season. They really made me be on Echo's side this episode. I feel so bad for her and she deserves better than being with someone who breaks so easily and is willing to let everyone die for "all of humankind" or whatever. 

They did hint at Jordan/Hope in their only scene together, which...really? I shouldn't automatically think that these two kids will get together in their first interaction...but it's not surprising. The most underutilized new character paired with the most overutilized new character.

Yep...fine, I get it, show. Bellarke rises, Becho dies or whatever. Bob Morley showed more emotion with Clarke and Octavia than with Echo, another reason why I'm bitterly bitter at this mess. But even Clarke deserves better than Weak Minded Bellamy, who is willing to TORTURE HIS FRIENDS. I don't give two flying shits if he 'feels bad' or if Clarke can stop the pain if she gives in. HE'S STILL TORTURING THEM. Why would I EVER root for Clarke to get together with someone who tortures her? 

Also, we needed more Bellamy/Octavia. They have so much to talk about. 

So, I wonder where Cadogan sent everyone. Maybe Earth? At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised. If he sent them to Sky Ring, they're already dead by the beginning of the next episode. If he sent them to Nakara, then they're not exactly safe. If he sent them to Etherea, then he's attempting to brainwash them and they're still not safe. And if they're not on Sanctum, then we're running out of options. Introducing a new planet in the next few episodes would be annoying so I have to assume Earth. Yes, Earth isn't safe either but...I would not be surprised for the show to end back on Earth somehow. And it's been 125 years since they left; Monty could have been wrong and there IS life near the Anomaly Stone on Earth again. This show has always made Earth the goal for these people, so why not have it be the endgoal?

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I know we only have four more episodes but I'd rather see the Cockroach live to the very en

I'm so worried for Murphy.  At this point, Clarke and Bellamy can die  (and I suspect they will die some heroic death) and I would be fine.  I got such a kick out of the actor's work last night.  The "I'm awesome" comment and his smirk at the end of the show were done brilliantly.

Sorry we have to wait three weeks for the next episode- it hurts the momentum it's been building.

• Love 3

If you had told me in the first season that Bellamy would be one of my favorite characters series-wide (MASSIVE exceptions) I would have laughed. If you'd have told me JOHN MURPHY would be my favorite character, hands down, I'd have questioned everything about you. But here we are. Murphy was extra awesome this week, and I'm really hoping that his redemption arc does not end in a massive sacrifice to save everyone. He went from a sniveling little shit only out for himself (he practically out-Baltared Gaius Baltar) to a guy who has been putting himself on the line for people he doesn't even really know, because it is the right thing to do. This is one of the few things the show has paced really well. He didn't just flip a few weeks ago -- this has been a great buildup.  Pacing on everything else has been pretty awful.

• Love 8

Show, you cant mess with me like that, you cant tease Murphy possibly dying on me, dont even try playing that game. All that talk about how proud everyone was of how Murphy was stepping up, him being a good guy and leader and saying how he wanted Emori to be on the right side of the door while he dealt with Sheidheda, it really seemed like they were setting him up for a big tragic death, but thank God he made it! Granted, they could still pull some crap on us where he dies to save people, and he is now stuck as Sheidhedas all day chess opponent, but Captain Cockroach has lived to fight another day! I really do love seeing how much Murphy has developed as a character, he probably has had one of the best arcs on the show, much like Indra, I am very proud of him. I just really want him and Emori to be alright when this is over, they're by far my favorite couple and I just love whenever they're on screen. The little applause Emori gave Murphy when he gave the lady thug a speech was super cute, as was his smile/smirk when Indra said that she was proud of him when it was just him, they are just all kinds of great. 

Less great is whatever is going on with Bellamy. They at least gave him a bit more of a reason to be going along with this thats in character (trying to protect everyone) but him becoming this mindless follower of Bill the Boring is just...wrong. We are so close to the end, and Bellamy has had such an intense character arc over the years, with so many ups and downs, I hate that this is one of his last hurrahs. Even if/when he gets his head on straight and turns on Bill, it still sucks that he got brainfucked into all this, especially as it was done in a rather bleh kind of way last week. I still just dont buy it. It also sucks that, now that he has finally been reunited with Octavia and Clarke, he cant even have a real talk with them about their issues (especially Octavia) because he is too busy being a pod person. The best scene with Bellamy was when he pointed out the ridiculous previous plots of past seasons and how that means maybe this is all true as well, and Clarke just told him (correctly) that his outfit looks stupid. Maybe Echo can get through to him, or Clarke or Octavia? Or just punch him in the face? I did like seeing Clarke and Octavia interacting more, especially without any stabbing or threats. 

Bill sure does continue to be a thing, apparently. Sorry, I keep mistaking one of the random background soldiers as the real Big Bad, he is just so bland that my eyes naturally gloss over him, like a potted plant. 

Sheidhedas chair of skulls makes the Iron Throne look like a water bed. So Extra. Can he and Bill just duke it out so we can get rid of them both? 

The connection between Jordan and Hope and their similar backstories kind of worked, but since I dont care about either of them, and in fact cant stand Hope and her never ending pity party, I cant really pretend to care. Oh poor Hope, her own stupidity got her mom killed, such sadness, I feel SO bad for her...*breaks out small violin* 

Well with Nelson and his people gone, I guess thats one less annoying faction to deal with, but I will give them credit, they sure did stick to their principles, even under threat of death. 

So everyone except for Raven, Clarke, etc got sent to...somewhere? How many of these planets are there anyway? Cant people all just go to their own planets and not have to deal with each other anymore? I did love Clarke's reaction to seeing the recent clusterfuck back at Sanctuary, and Murphy's "yeah, this has taken a turn, are you really surprised?" response. 

September 9th? Seriously? I get that they want want to keep shows going for as long as possible, but come on, we are finally getting some momentum going here! 

• Love 6

After Bellamy told them that he was pretty much resigned to letting Shepherd execute all of them if there was no other way to start the last war and bring peace forever I had a really hard time not muting every other thing Bellamy said for the rest of the episode.

This is not how a last season should be going.  There should be something worth watching again.  Well, if someone would assemble a montage of Murphy, that I would probably watch again.  But that's about it.

I had convinced myself that there would be something, some character moment, that would be the payoff for having to sit through this Bellamy brainwashed cult member crap.  Clarke in mcap revealing some memory that we and Bellamy were never privy to that snaps him out of it and kindles Bellearke for the end stretch.  Friendship or romance, I don't care which one.   I just want them on the same side in scenes that are meaningful and rewatchable.

12 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

As for the Bardo stuff.....I guess Bellamy's actions are in character. We've seen him betray his friends for what he thought was the right thing with the Pike stuff. But it's just so....sad to see Bellamy so submissive in the presence of Bill Cadogan. All this "Yes Shepherd" and "I'm sorry, M'Shepherd" is just kind of pathetic to listen to, as if he's afraid of this dude, who, quite honestly, would be beaten in a physical fight against any of our characters.

That's what this episode did to me.  It convinced me this was in character for Bellamy and I hate that.  I think his self loathing rung too true.  And it reminded of me of the Pike stuff.  I never thought it would be possible to overcome the Pike stuff but I did.  And now its clear Bellamy didn't learn a damn thing.  

I think there is no way that Bellamy makes it to the end of this show.  I think he's a dead man walking.  I don't see them doing anything but having him sacrifice himself as some kind of redemption. 

The only thing that made me happy this episode was that last scene where Clarke and Murphy were in the same room again.  At this point, I'm expecting absolutely nothing to come of that.

• Love 1

Fun fact: I legitimately don't remember where the flame is. Since they mentioned Gaia for the first time in weeks, I'm guessing she has it.

If the flashbacks are done now, and the story just moves forward from here, I might forgive how slow it was to get going. Except now you guys are saying we have to wait until September, so... this is really getting drawn out.

I also want to have a conversation about that skull chair Sheidheda got. There seemed to be a very fast turnaround time on it, and I'm wondering if he specifically asked them to make a chair from all the skulls, or if they were just like, "I bet this would make him happy." Do all the commanders have a skull chair? Do I just not remember it?

On 8/19/2020 at 10:23 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Granted, he's now Sheidheda's prisoner and it looks like he is tasked to spend his days playing chess with him, but hopefully Clarke's sudden return to Sanctum will cause Sheidheda to take his eye off of him for now!

I loved how lazy the show was about explaining, in one line of dialogue, that Murphy and Emori, who are clearly two of the most dangerous people to keep alive, were spared because they volunteered to monitor the power supply and play chess.

On 8/19/2020 at 10:23 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Hey, I actually have a positive moment for Bill!  I was amused by his dismissive "I guess my daughter killed my son" line.  I guess when you're a self-proclaimed savior in a future far away from your loved ones, there is no point in getting upset about the frivolous things!

I also enjoyed that comment, because it seemed like such a transparent attempt to get us interested in the spin-off. Like, "Wow, I assume my daughter killed my son, but who can know for sure what happened? If only there were a way to watch those events play out and learn the real story."

On 8/20/2020 at 9:21 AM, Lady Calypso said:

I just don't think she bought your little "I was buddy-buddy with your husband....but I'll totally threaten you with putting you in the place where he died...but we can have drinks later!"

Yeah, that was weird. The last thing The Good Criminal told Murphy was that his girlfriend was a total psychopath who didn't care about anyone and killed people for fun, so I'm not sure how this little speech was meant to change that? I felt like he was trying to shame her into being a nicer person by pointing out that her partner probably wouldn't support what she's doing, but it sounds like that never stopped her before.

But even Clarke deserves better than Weak Minded Bellamy, who is willing to TORTURE HIS FRIENDS. I don't give two flying shits if he 'feels bad' or if Clarke can stop the pain if she gives in. HE'S STILL TORTURING THEM. Why would I EVER root for Clarke to get together with someone who tortures her? 

Also, Raven was once again the first person fed to the torture machines, and I'm sure she appreciates holding out just so Clarke could make a deal and give up the flame to them anyway.

I want Clarke to get back together with that grounder chick whose name I don't remember, who was tagging along on this trip. I want Echo to get together with literally anybody else besides Bellamy. I want Bellamy and Octavia to go feel like monsters together on one of these mystery planets.

So, I wonder where Cadogan sent everyone. Maybe Earth? At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised. If he sent them to Sky Ring, they're already dead by the beginning of the next episode. If he sent them to Nakara, then they're not exactly safe. If he sent them to Etherea, then he's attempting to brainwash them and they're still not safe. And if they're not on Sanctum, then we're running out of options.

Apparently I'm the only person who would be mistrustful of jumping into a portal. I couldn't believe everyone just went along with that.

It would be funny if he just had a separate sphere that led into a dungeon.

• Love 1