Type keyword(s) to search

S02E09: Wax Patrol

kieyra
  • Start Topic

Before they can save the world from The Candlemaker, the Doom Patrol must first confront their childhood imaginary friends; Jane reflects on the first time that Miranda became "primary," and Dorothy must make a fateful choice.

Airing Thursday, August 6, 2020

Jesus flying up out of the eyeball balloons (not something I thought I'd ever say, or see) made me laugh way too hard.

Was it meta-commentary that Larry is so boring he doesn't have an imaginary friend so sits out of the rest of the episode? I'm sure that'll come back to be important though.

The Jane/Miranda stuff was uncomfortable, but good. I didn't really get why they kept cutting back and forth quickly between her story and the Dorothy stuff when Jane was swimming.

I know it wasn't by choice, but holy cliffhangers, batman.

• Love 3

Pausing mid-watch to say I love that I was dying to know who was listening to The Cure on repeat, because by all rights it should have been one of Jane’s alters, or even Cliff if he got deep enough into a self-pitying mood. But they were both in the room already.

It never occurred to me it would be Vic, of all people. Well played, show.

(This show frequently has an excellent soundtrack, on that note.)

Edit: And another shallow note. Seeing Dorothy’s mom again made me question why they put Dorothy in those animal-ish prosthetics. Mom has a basically humanoid face, just a slightly heavy brow. No weird nose, no extreme overbite. 

Might have something more insightful to add later. Bummed about the truncated season, will be watching for renewal news. Tell your friends to stream it on HBO Max. 🙂

• Love 4
3 hours ago, kieyra said:

Edit: And another shallow note. Seeing Dorothy’s mom again made me question why they put Dorothy in those animal-ish prosthetics. Mom has a basically humanoid face, just a slightly heavy brow. No weird nose, no extreme overbite. 

🙂

I think they softened up Mom's looks from last season.

Wow so Miranda isn't really Miranda ?!?!  Was she suppose to be the dad then? 

Wow...

So now we know what happened to the original Miranda, and it's a tad more interesting than the comics version. I wonder if the guests at the housewarming party / orgy also played the sex ghosts this season.

I also wonder if there has ever been a real case of DID where a renegade personality developed, because even the subconscious Kay didn't know what was going on, but I think it's important that the first personality Fake Miranda murdered was the one that embodied their sexuality. I also think there's supposed to be a parallel between Jane's and Dorothy's stories beyond having bad fathers.

Edited by MarkHB
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

They cant end it like this, we are going to need that second season, those cliffhangers need resolution! 

Miranda is actually dead, so who is this? Kay's father? Some evil new personality? The stuff with Miranda and Jane becoming the main personality was uncomfortable but really interesting, Diane Guerrero did a really great job. I could tell right away that the waitress was Miranda without her even having to say anything, just like I could tell that she had turned into Jane as soon as she opened her eyes at the orgy gone wrong. She just looks different. 

Poor Cliff, he just wanted to go to Clara's wedding, is that so much to ask? This season in general has been really daddy issues heavy, most obviously with Dorothy and Niles, but also both Larry and Cliff trying to be better fathers (he went WAY better for Cliff) and coming to terms with their mistakes as parents, Jane and her abusive father, references to Vic and his complicated relationship with his dad and Cliffs own issues with his own dad, it was kind of all over the place. 

"It was the 15th century!" 

• Love 4

So it isn't Miranda. Is that the father? And Kay is aware that it's not Miranda and was looking for Jane. We got to see how Crazy Jane showed up. Diane Guerrero is almost up there with Tatiana Maslany on making each alter different enough where you can tell when it's someone else. 

Poor Cliff, just wanted to go to his daughters wedding, not get beat up and  busted into pieces by imaginary bro jesus.

Everyone has daddy issues except for Rita who has mommy issues. I do think Jane and Dorothy's stories are going to connect. Which makes me think Kay might be the one they need to help her. 

• Love 2

This season was so bad.  I came for Matt Bomer and though I loved season one with everyone I still want to see his pretty face in every episode, preferably playing kissy-face with a guy.  Larry is pretty useless, though.  I don't suppose the comic fans would appreciate Negative Man's radiation burns getting healed so Matt Bomer could just play the part as himself?

I am super impressed with Brendan Frasier and the body actor for Cliff.  I forget I'm looking at an object that cannot make facial expressions when he is on screen.

On 8/9/2021 at 6:01 PM, Goldmoon said:

I don't suppose the comic fans would appreciate Negative Man's radiation burns getting healed so Matt Bomer could just play the part as himself?

The bandages aren't because of his burns, they're because the negative spirit (which I still think is basically keeping him alive) causes him to be dangerously radioactive on his own. The bandages are basically laced with lead and serve to protect everyone else.

And as a comics fan, no, I wouldn't appreciate it :)

• Love 5