Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Rewind 1921

• Start Topic

On 10/12/2020 at 9:18 PM, Chicago Redshirt said:

Given that time travel is overused and requires a lot of ignorance/laziness/stupidity on the part of characters, it was still pretty captivating as an episode. By that I mean, with a multiverse machine, Hippolyta hypothetically could have sent Our Heroes to any time before the Tulsa Riots from when Titus first got the book to three nights earlier when there weren't marauding white folks to contend with.

I couldn't help but think of City on the Edge of Tomorrow

That's Edge of Forever, there, Redshirt 😉

The obvious answer for why people go back in time to just before shit gets real is for the drama, but if I were to try to handwave a physics reason for it, I'd say that the energy surrounding a major historical event (Tulsa, Pompeii, Kennedy assassination, etc.) draws the time eddies towards it. Obviously doesn't apply to quiet, personal situations but whatevs.

On 10/12/2020 at 11:36 PM, kay1864 said:

Anybody know what the voiceover speech towards the end was from?

The speech during the burning, and the song during Leti's walk, were the same passage. One spoken and one sung. But I don't know the piece and I don't know if the poetry preceded the song lyric or vice versa.

Oh I guess it was a poem first. 

https://furiousflower.org/catch-the-fire-by-sonia-sanchez/ 

And inspired the show's soundtrack composer to write the song at the end.

https://www.newsweek.com/lovecraft-country-catch-fire-song-sonia-sanchez-hbo-1538228 

Edited by Starchild
On 10/11/2020 at 9:31 PM, Annber03 said:

'm sorry to say that I did not know about this chapter in history until people started talking about it this year thanks to "Watchmen" (which I haven't seen). That's disturbing and wrong as hell in its own right. Kudos to these TV shows for bringing attention to these rarely discussed historical events, but seriously, we desperately need to have it taught in schools as well. 

Sadly apparently even the survivors' own children and grandchildren knew little to nothing about this horrific incident. Once the survivors of the Tulsa massacre migrated elsewhere (usually north), they were so traumatized that they didn't dare speak of it. Many remained terrified of repercussions until old age even being many miles and decades away. This episode did a good job of building dread, and illustrating the grief and trauma people must have experienced. I second the heartbreak at losing so much potential. I don't understand how people can be so evil and hateful, and it's not a relic of history - it is obviously still very much with us. I'm glad these events are at least now being depicted in entertainment, because we sure as hell weren't taught about them in school.

On 10/12/2020 at 8:18 AM, sempervivum said:

it's worth noting the other way Black communities were destroyed. Here in Milwaukee, 'Bronzeville'- the economic and cultural heart of Black life- was bulldozed to make way for the freeway that allowed city workers to get quickly to their suburban homes The Destruction of Bronzeville

Not as exciting as murder and fire, but just as devastating.

Yes, this happened in cities all over North America - often in the guise of "urban renewal", whenever a new expressway was planned, the city planners made sure to run it right through African American neighbourhoods. It happened in my own city, which had a small but thriving black community that also wound up bulldozed and scattered to the four winds afterward.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Cheezwiz said:

Sadly apparently even the survivors' own children and grandchildren knew little to nothing about this horrific incident. Once the survivors of the Tulsa massacre migrated elsewhere (usually north), they were so traumatized that they didn't dare speak of it. Many remained terrified of repercussions until old age even being many miles and decades away. This episode did a good job of building dread, and illustrating the grief and trauma people must have experienced. I second the heartbreak at losing so much potential. I don't understand how people can be so evil and hateful, and it's not a relic of history - it is obviously still very much with us. I'm glad these events are at least now being depicted in entertainment, because we sure as hell weren't taught about them in school.

Oh, wow, yeah, that certainly explains a lot as well. Totally understandable that they'd be afraid and too traumatized to speak of it, though, yes. 

But indeed, one way or another, the truth and the real stories always eventually come out, even if it takes a while. 

• Love 2
On 10/19/2020 at 1:46 AM, Cheezwiz said:

Yes, this happened in cities all over North America - often in the guise of "urban renewal", whenever a new expressway was planned, the city planners made sure to run it right through African American neighbourhoods. It happened in my own city, which had a small but thriving black community that also wound up bulldozed and scattered to the four winds afterward

All POC have been affected by this blight. Look at Chavez Ravine and Dodger Stadium. Built on blood and hate. 

• Love 2