Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling: Who's the fairest of them all?

• Start Topic

4B is lucky if more than a single episode can be considered "mediocre" in quality at best

Two episodes, really: the Ursula one and the Cruella one. That's about it.

• Love 3

This is not about Once per se, but apparently, this year has been good for ABC.

We'll see come upfronts time, as that'll be the true story. For the last couple of years ABC has been sitting in 3rd place behind CBS and NBC when it comes to selling their inventory at upfronts. And before people claim the sports thing, sports related ad times are not counted in those figures coming out of upfronts. They're usually not sold then. I'm interested to see what Empire does for Fox too.

But then some of them may find work on a show that's actually good

Yeah like Rose McIver. I liked her as Tinkerbell and even if people don't think her show is better than Once, she's the lead on there which is infinitely better than being a supporting player with nothing to do but play prop duty to Mary Sue Victim, 10 minutes a season. David Anders also got a better gig. I'm waiting to see a project with Robbie Kay and the Frozen crew.

I also think Socha could do way better. Maybe they'll be nice again and let him out of his contract like they did with Ory. They obviously have nothing for him to do like they did with her.

Does Jane's tweet pretty much settle the contract length debate now? It sounds like most, if not all the cast has a 7 year deal.

• Love 1

I'm waiting to see a project with Robbie Kay and the Frozen crew.

Robbie Kay is going to be one of the leads in the new "Heroes" miniseries reboot.

Does Jane's tweet pretty much settle the contract length debate now? It sounds like most, if not all the cast has a 7 year deal.

I'm pretty sure Carlyle has only 5 years as a reliable source article once said, since he's an actor who can have certain privelages the others don't by virtue of his experience.

I'm waiting to see a project with Robbie Kay and the Frozen crew.

Scott Michael Foster is in ABC's "Untitled Pate & Fishburne Project," formerly called "Boom." (Fun fact: I went to Governor's School with co-creator Joshua Pate's brother, Jonas, and possess a picture of him dressed as an amoeba. This is my brush with fame.)

Elizabeth Lail is rumored to be in David Fincher's new HBO series, but it's all incredibly hush-hush. If she is, that's a second really big get for her to be so fresh out of school.

Dammit, I liked Robbie Kay but I never got into Heroes (saw the pilot, didn't like it). Wonder if the reboot will be accessible to new viewers.

Socha definitely deserves a show of his own, he's proven to be a good, charismatic actor. 20 minutes of screentime as a regular is just laughable, some guest stars got more.

I wonder what's Georgina Haig is doing, I liked her more than Lail.

As for networks, I think NBC is only staying afloat thanks to football and The Voice (which is losing popularity fast). If you look at the ratings of their scripted shows, theya re laugable. I wonder if they won't reach CW level next season.

I wonder what's Georgina Haig is doing, I liked her more than Lail.

I saw her most recently on an Australian comedy series called Maximum Choppage. Pretty different from her US TV stuff, it's a really silly show, but fun to watch and I'm sure fun to make.

I thought Lail did pretty well considering it was her first gig out of drama school. I'm interested to see what she does next.

I think the only problem with Socha in getting cast somewhere else would be, can he do an American accent? Because honestly, I don't understand half of the things he says. English is not my first language, but I have no problem understanding the rest of the cast.

• Love 1

I think the only problem with Socha in getting cast somewhere else would be, can he do an American accent? Because honestly, I don't understand half of the things he says. English is not my first language, but I have no problem understanding the rest of the cast.

I have this same problem, I can't undestand half his lines. And, even if English is not my first language, I don't have problems with the rest of the cast.

So, yeah, he is really charismatic, but that accent can be a problem to work in the US. But there are some really great shows in England right now. Anything better that what he has been given this year.

I think the only problem with Socha in getting cast somewhere else would be, can he do an American accent?

I would guess that he could. Most non-American native English speakers I know can do a passable American accent. It just comes with growing up with so much American TV, movies and music. I occasionally use one on the phone when someone is having too much trouble understanding my Australian accent, much to the delight of my workmates.

• Love 1
(edited)

So Once was flat again this week? So not even the promise of zaniness could rope enough people in for a rise?

Besides the writing, etc. I hope they reconsider their marketing strategy for season 5. I didn't think they did a very good job. All I remember being pushed for this back half was Regina Regina Regina, SQ (maybe not in shipper terms, but they were pushing the BFF nonsense a little too much), the Zelena mess, lily,Snowing is secretly horrible!, the author mess....basically I felt like they focused promoting all of the really frustrating stuff. But I guess that would have been impossible to avoid with the messiness of the season. It probably didn't do a good job keeping viewers interested.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
(edited)

Yes, it's clear Once has reached its set point. It shed viewers each half-hour -- especially from 8 to 8:30. No surprise, given that the good stuff didn't come til Hour 2. Looks like those viewers switched over to 60 Minutes. Breakdown from Marc Berman:

8:00 p.m.

ABC – Once Upon a Time (season finale)
    Viewers: 5.65 million (#2), A18-49: 1.8/ 6 (#1)

CBS – 60 Minutes
    Viewers: 8.56 million (#1), A18-49: 1.1/ 4 (#3)

NBC – Dateline
    Viewers: 4.19 million (#3), A18-49: 0.8/ 3 (#4)

Fox – The Simpsons
    Viewers: 2.78 million (#4), A18-49: 1.2/ 4 (#2)

———-

8:30 p.m.

Viewers: 5.37 million (#2), A18-49: 1.7/ 5 (#1)

CBS – 60 Minutes
    Viewers: 9.08 million (#1), A18-49: 1.2/ 4 (#2t)

NBC – Dateline
    Viewers: 4.15 million (#3), A18-49: 0.9/ 3 (#4)

Fox – Brooklyn Nine-Nine
    Viewers: 2.55 million (#4), A18-49: 1.2/ 4 (#2t)

———-

9:00 p.m.

Viewers: 5.33 million (#2), A18-49: 1.7/ 5 (#1)

CBS – The Good Wife (season finale)
    Viewers: 9.43 million (#1), A18-49: 1.3/ 4 (#2)

NBC – A.D. The Bible Continues
    Viewers: 4.51 million (#3), A18-49: 1.1/ 3 (#4)

Fox – Family Guy ®
    Viewers: 2.62 million (#4), A18-49: 1.2/ 4 (#3)

———-

9:30 p.m.

Viewers: 5.32 million (#2), A18-49: 1.7/ 5 (#1)

CBS – The Good Wife (season finale)
    Viewers: 9.03 million (#1), A18-49: 1.2/ 3 (#2t)

NBC – A.D. The Bible Continues
    Viewers: 4.43 million (#3), A18-49: 0.9/ 3 (#4)

Fox – Bob’s Burgers
    Viewers: 2.49 million (#4), A18-49: 1.2/ 3 (#2t)

Edited by Souris

That's one of their problems, nothing ever happens in the first half hour. So there's nothing to keep the viewers interested. You could literally watch the last 10 minutes of each episode and not miss anything.

(edited)

They are shit at pacing.

Variety:

With an expected uptick to 1.8 in the nationals, “Once” will have delivered its top rating since March 22 — but down half a ratings point from its year-ago closer (2.3).

Pretty telling it got barely a boost in its finale.

Edited by Souris
(edited)

The ABC Upfronts are tomorrow. I don't expect them to talk too much about Once, but I wonder if they'll mention it at least.

Edited by Serena

And I suspect Dark One Emma will cause even more viewers to drop.

I will be VERY surprised if Season 5 is NOT the final season, since by all calculations the numbers are going to reach this past season of "Revenge", which was cancelled. Plus, S5 is where the show hits syndication, so the network has less reason to keep it going after that.

I will be VERY surprised if Season 5 is NOT the final season, since by all calculations the numbers are going to reach this past season of "Revenge", which was cancelled. Plus, S5 is where the show hits syndication, so the network has less reason to keep it going after that.

But it was still the #1 show in the demo last night.

Here's a possible leak on what will be paired with Once next season: "Oil", with Scott Michael Foster. Will Secret & Lies be midseason or pushed at 10? Also, I would be surprised if that show doesn't bomb.

And I suspect Dark One Emma will cause even more viewers to drop.

Network ratings are falling pretty fast these days. Revenge has been pulling awful ratings for years by now, and I actually suspect Once still won't reach 1.0s even by the end of next season (even if I do think they deserve it).

Here's a possible leak on what will be paired with Once next season: "Oil", with Scott Michael Foster.

They've renamed "Boom" "Oil"? Ugh, what a stupid title. But it could be a fit for Once, it also seems to be a soapy drama about an extended family, although one that kinda sounds interesting from the description.

• Love 1

Network ratings are falling pretty fast these days. Revenge has been pulling awful ratings for years by now, and I actually suspect Once still won't reach 1.0s even by the end of next season (even if I do think they deserve it).

Yea, for as much as Once has slipped, Revenge's ratings were just awful this past season. Once slipped from around a 2.3 last year to a 1.8 this finale. Revenge was around near the end here -- a bit of an uptick last night. So sure, Once isn't as high in the ratings as it used to be, but it's hardly struggling the way Revenge has...yet.

They've renamed "Boom" "Oil"? Ugh, what a stupid title. But it could be a fit for Once, it also seems to be a soapy drama about an extended family, although one that kinda sounds interesting from the description.

LOL, that's even more generic than the name it was officially picked up as, "Untitled Pate & Fishburne Project." The only way it could be more generic was if it were called "Show."

• Love 1
Yea, for as much as Once has slipped, Revenge's ratings were just awful this past season. Once slipped from around a 2.3 last year to a 1.8 this finale.

I'm confused. Tvbythenumbers has OUAT finale rating as 1.7, which lines up with the  average of the half hour breakdowns from Marc Berman at TV Media insights . So where is everyone getting that the finale earned a 1.8 finale rating?

So they went down from 1.8 in the 1st half hour to 1.7 for the rest? I don't wanna say I know the reason, but I think I know the reason.

Yeah, I know the reason too ;-) Lets hope A&E realize it and make some changes next year.

(edited)

Once 3B: 2.18

Once 4B: 1.80 if it's not adjusted.

17% drop. 1.49 for 5B if the trend keeps up.

Would still likely be their #4 returning drama, though the show would fall behind a couple of other ABC shows not in that genre.

Edited by jjjmoss
(edited)

It will probably get a bit worse. Emma as a Dark One isn't nearly as big of a draw as Frozen. I'm thinking 1.5s for 5A and after that? Depends on the quality and the competition. Maybe 1.3s for the last part, or close, unless there's a miraculous recover a la 3A.

Edited by FurryFury

I purposefully ignored 4A because they can't recreate Frozen.

A 17% drop would make sense since S2 got that exact drop from S1, and S3 got a 20% drop from S2. 

• Love 1

It will probably get a bit worse. Emma as a Dark One isn't nearly as big of a draw as Frozen.

Yeah, in fact, I'm pretty sure that this storyline is going to make them lose a lot of casual fans.

(edited)

I thought the last few eps of the season would drop further than they have. So I actually doubt the drop will be too big in the fall. Hell, if Zelena-is-Marian-and-she's-pregnant didn't drive casual fans away, this won't.

Edited by Souris
  • Love 2

Here is the season to season now that this year is over.

tumblr_no7fewU9d11s8hakxo1_1280.jpg

Good news is that at least it stabilized at the end of S4. Bad news is stabilized at its lowest point. It definitely took a dive after the first few episodes -- you can see the effect that Frozen had at the beginning of the season. And you can also see the negative effect this half season had on the ratings. I wonder how much better these ratings would've been if they had just tossed the Queens of Darkness nonsense and stuck with an entire AU half season. Even I was losing patience with the show before last night.

• Love 3
Yeah, I know the reason too ;-) Lets hope A&E realize it and make some changes next year.

They won't.  That's the one change they will forever refuse to make or acknowledge.  They will go down with that ship (not talking about a couple).

• Love 3
(edited)

It was probably a good idea to have the QOD and not just the Mal and Lily arc.  That arc is what has killed the ratings the last few episodes.  Why they did the first hour of the finale without Hook and Emma is crazy to me.  Henry and Isaac were supposed to carry the show with a sprinkling of Evil Snow, Charming and Good Regina?  People didn't hang out past the first half hour unless they were diehards.

'Once Upon A Time' Season Finale Flat at 1.7

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/05/11/tv-ratings-sunday-revenge-finale-the-good-wife-rise-once-upon-a-time-flat-family-guy-a-d-the-bible-continues-down/401812/

I was honestly expecting an increase for the season finale, but I guess people weren't interested in the AU. There is already too many terrible OUAT fanfics out there.

I don't think it's that people weren't interested in the AU.  They weren't interested in the author's origin or how Henry got to the EF.  People want to see their favorite characters, not new ones who are dispensable.

Edited by scenicbyway
  • Love 4

I don't think it's that people weren't interested in the AU.  They weren't interested in the author's origin or how Henry go to the EF.  People want to see their favorite characters, not new ones who are dispensable.

And yet A&E just keep throwing in more screentime-sucking dispensables.

• Love 2

It was probably a good idea to have the QOD and not just the Mal and Lily arc.  That arc is what has killed the ratings the last few episodes.  Why they did the first hour of the finale without Hook and Emma is crazy to me.  Henry and Isaac were supposed to carry the show with a sprinkling of Evil Snow, Charming and Good Regina?  People didn't hang out past the first half hour unless they were diehards.

The problem with the Mal ad Lily arc was that Emma was unrelentingly depressing.

Snow, Regina, and Charming didn't show up until the last fifteen minutes which I agree is crazy.  If I hadn't been spoiled to know that non-Henry and Isaac was coming, I'd have probably shut it off.  Its lucky I'd seen the long version of the promo.  Leading up to the show, they cut out all the Hook/Charming stuff and most of the more promising clips.

• Love 1

Once 3B: 2.18

Once 4B: 1.80 if it's not adjusted.

Would still likely be their #4 returning drama, though the show would fall behind a couple of other ABC shows not in that genre.

I don't think 5A will get worse, the fall is usually higher. 5B may get worse though, possibly.

• Love 1
It was probably a good idea to have the QOD and not just the Mal and Lily arc.

I thought it was the Robin centric that killed the ratings.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that episode the one that scored the lowest ratings/shares for the series ever?  

That episode also completely dampened my mood for the rest of the season.  I can definitely say that my excitement for the show after that was no where near where it was.  Maybe I'll get excited again when everyone goes back to work and ComiCon is around the corner.  I had very high hopes for this season.  And I am about ready to gag over the whole Zelena mess.  This isn't General Hospital, so thanks, but no thanks!

• Love 1

I don't think 5A will get worse, the fall is usually higher. 5B may get worse though, possibly.

I think it will depend on how much of a main character Lily becomes and how long Emma is the "Dark One."

The thing with Lily is that they've given her the Neal Cassidy treatment.  She's been made fairly unlikeable (she ruined Emma's chance for a family more than once) even though she has a tragic backstory.  She's been reunited with Mal, but just like with Neal and Rumple, they don't know what to do with them.  Instead of bonding with Mal, she wants to know who her father is.  Whatever.  It's probably just another time suck that will go nowhere.  I suspect if they do find her father she'll decide to stay with him or, both she and Mal will decide to stay with him in Camelot since presumably Mal can go there even though she can't leave Storybrooke.

As for Emma, I think Dark Emma could be interesting.  What isn't going to be fun is another half or whole season of watching Emma push her parents or Hook away.  Hook sure has to do a lot of the work for his happy ending, it seems like Regina just whines about hers and everyone drops what they're doing to sacrifice for her.  I could see Dark Emma lasting all of season 5 with a resolution in the finale.

(edited)

Here's the trailer. And yes, it seems ABC still hasn't fired the moron that comes up with these horrible show names every. single. year. Ugh. Don't know what kind of match it will be for Once -- looks very adult and has Don Johnson as well. I'm sure it'll probably do well in the Midwest though so maybe that's the connection.

And then at 10pm on Sundays is Of Kings and Prophets, which seems to be some sort of retelling of the Bible so that already has a built-in loyal audience I guess. Can't imagine why that is so late on Sundays though unless they're going for accuracy with rivers of blood and murders and stuff.

Edited by sharky
  • Love 1

Seems like Quantico is the only ABC show I'll watch next year, and it's got the timeslot of death (tuesday at 10). Although I still haven't watched Oil, it's super laggy for some reason.

Overall, there seems to be too much repetitiveness this year on ABC, most of new drama are obviously soapy, sitcoms are family, no romcoms, even.