Type keyword(s) to search

Respect (2020)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

This is the thread for Respect, the  Aretha Franklin biopic to be released in December with Jennifer Hudson-who was selected by Ms. Franklin herself-in the title role. The teaser trailer just dropped and it looks good IMO.

The film costars Marlon Wayans, Forrest Whittaker, Marc Maron, Audra McDonald and Mary J. Blige as Dinah Washington.

• Love 2

Trailer looks good, but I wonder about Jennifer Hudson.  She just doesn't seem to have a lot of range.  And it's not just that she is a singer turned actress and keeps showing up in movies as a singer... she just doesn't have a whole lot of acting range.  Even in her small turn in the Sex and the City sequel, she seems the same.  I do wonder if she's going to get an Oscar nomination for this movie... my feeling is she probably will.  But judging from this trailer I'm not seeing that much difference from her Effie White character in terms of acting.

• Useful 1

I’m not a Jennifer Hudson fan at all, but I really want to be.  She says Ms. Franklin called her personally and told her that she would play her in the movie….so she had no choice. Therefore, I give her a pass.  If she’s handpicked, then so be it.  I like Aretha enough to cover it, I suppose.  At least the vocals will be good.  

• Love 1

Just saw it with my mom and enjoyed it. Couldn’t help comparing it to the Cynthia Erivo miniseries; both were good this version skated over the darker bits somewhat. That being said, the implication of Aretha getting raped as a child still made my stomach clench.

Jennifer Hudson did fabulously, but as a Broadway geek, I also loved seeing Audra McDonald, Heather Headley, and Hailey Kilgore!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 2

I saw this last night, and I enjoyed it as well.  It was quite long, and felt it, but I don't see what could be cut and still give us a good picture of Aretha's background and what made her who she was.

I thought Jennifer Hudson nailed it, and I really enjoyed the credits scenes with the Queen herself.

• Love 4