Type keyword(s) to search

The Brokenwood Mysteries - General Discussion

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, roseha said:

I didn't love this episode but I did like seeing Dennis Buchanan

Last week when we saw Miranda as someones lawyer my daughter and I wondered where Dennis was, so we were glad to see him. Jools has been in 6 episodes and her relationships with men have been fraught, to say the least!

Some characters I recognize right away, and of course it helps when they are recurring and show up more than twice. Some I've probably missed, and some I recognize but have to look up on IMDB, like the guy with the dog in the dinosaur ep. He looked familiar so I looked him up and he was in the ep with the dogs in the park, the one where Frodo had a tortoise.

• Like 2
On 5/15/2024 at 7:22 PM, Mittengirl said:

What are the names of Ray & Trudy’s pubs?  The Snake & Tiger and …. Something & Leopard? Croc & Cheetah?

In my re-watch, I'm up to season 7 and so far:

Frog & Cheetah
Toad & Lion
Croc & Panther
Snake & Tiger

And, of course, Ray's Porky Pigeon Pizzeria

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Frog & Cheetah
Toad & Lion
Croc & Panther
Snake & Tiger

And they are all "aspirational." 

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
On 5/17/2024 at 1:32 AM, roseha said:

I enjoyed both episode 2 and 3 although I may rewatch them with captions, sometimes the accents of the guest actors throw me off when they are speaking quickly. 

I tried watching the "bonus" features at the end of some seasons. The earlier ones didn't have captioning and I couldn't understand a THING they were saying! LOL

• LOL 1
(edited)
On 5/27/2024 at 8:04 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Frog & Cheetah
Toad & Lion
Croc & Panther
Snake & Tiger

It stayed the Snake & Tiger until the Dinosaur season 10 opener, when it because Dinosaur & Panther and then reverted back to Croc & Panther.

Trudy's hair keeps getting longer.

Does Sims get a new car every year?

ETA: I was totally unaware of how often Dr. Carlton at the hospital shows up in episodes.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Prevailing Wind said:

It stayed the Snake & Tiger until the Dinosaur season 10 opener, when it because Dinosaur & Panther and then reverted back to Croc & Panther.

Trudy's hair keeps getting longer.

Does Sims get a new car every year?

-It- is not always the same building and I think at one point he owned two. At the beginning of the dinosaur episode Ray says that he just bought -the old mill- I think? and refurbished it as the Dinosaur and Panther.

I also noticed Sims' car? like is she leasing? does she get a new one every 6 mo. ? (because I swear I saw them change from episode to episode sometimes) are they actually not hers but a part of some pool of cars for use by the police? though I'd think those would be older cars. It's just a bit strange she can afford that.

• Like 1

Just finished Episode 4 with Harper and Jools. My favorite part was when Harper referred to Mrs. Marlowe on the phone! I noticed that Todd seems to be appearing in every episode - even more than Frodo. 

I do not remember seeing Harper previously but really liked her in this episode. Particularly liked her scene with Trudy. 

Just read that they are filming Season 11 now. 

• Like 3
10 hours ago, LisaM said:

I do not remember seeing Harper previously but really liked her in this episode.

I don't either, but she was in S5.1 - the one about the Ghost Train. Even knowing that, I don't remember the character; I may re-watch that one again just to see where she fits in.

2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I don't either, but she was in S5.1 - the one about the Ghost Train. Even knowing that, I don't remember the character; I may re-watch that one again just to see where she fits in

I just completed a re-watch. She was the fortune tellers daughter and had been sexually harassed/assaulted by the owner. Her name was Henna or something?

Have you all noticed that Nic Sampson (Breen) has written four episodes? during my re-watch I noticed his name in the credits but not as an actor so I looked it up. He has written: Power of Steam (the steampunk one); Dog Day Morning (the bank robbery one); Four Fires and a Funeral (the Fire Dept one, duh) and House of Screams (the haunted house one)

• Like 2
  • Useful 4
On 6/2/2024 at 10:19 AM, dgpolo said:

Her name was Henna or something?

Imdb says "Hine" and Sims pronounces it "Hee-neh" (watching it again right now.)

I am amazed that I don't seem to connect the characters when they show up multiple times. Johnny Oades is in so many episodes, yet I never seemed to remember him from one to the next.  Watching them as a binge really helps to identify the recurring characters for me...like Mrs. Baker, the cake baker/wedding consultant.  I guess old age is catching up to me. Although, as Mrs. Marlowe says, there's no such thing as old age, just aging attitude. LOL.

This latest Jesus episode was creepy.

This weekend I gave myself a Jools Festival. Such a good time watching straight through Jools' (Ingrid Park) story thread. If you are interested it is:

S 3 E 3 Catch of the Day

S 4 E 4 As if Nothing Had Happened

S 5 E 3 Tontine

S 7 E 1 The Garotte and the Vinkelbraun

S 9  E 2 Old Blood Money

S 10 E 4 Love You to Death

• Fire 1

What the hell was wrong with Sims in this last episode! Snooping in Mike's office, running her mouth off to all and sundry about Mike's private business, she doesn't deserve a promotion, she should be demoted!

Sorry, needed to get that out.

I've been watching London Kills and noticed that they do something right that Sims hardly ever does. I have read/seen/heard somewhere that when you are telling a family member about a loved one's death, you should always be blunt. X is dead. No questions about being attacked, finding a body, even deceased or passed away. X is dead. They do this on London Kills but Sims usually seems to faff around before stating it. That's just another thing I find annoying. Mind it's not a serious annoyance, more like batting a fly away. Just something that pings when it happens.

• Fire 1

I love the season ending with Tami Nelson singing.  The music in the first couple of seasons was one of the things that drew me into the show.  That's been missing in the last couple of seasons, IMO.  Looked like the cast was genuinely having fun.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
30 minutes ago, laredhead said:

I love the season ending with Tami Nelson singing.  The music in the first couple of seasons was one of the things that drew me into the show.  That's been missing in the last couple of seasons, IMO.  Looked like the cast was genuinely having fun.

Oh, yes, it was fun. 

• Applause 1

It felt like the writers were really pushing the Sims/Chalmers 'ship this season (and there was a lot of touching going on between them in the 5th episode).

But, yeah, Sims snooping in Mike's office and telling Gina before she actually really knew anything seemed like something an office of her rank (or her character) would never do.

Bringing Tami Nielsen back and watching all the characters dancing had an ominous "this is the end of the series" feeling, though. And we lasted how many ever seasons without Mike adding to his wife collection. Amazing.

• Like 2
On 6/4/2024 at 10:23 AM, WildPlum said:

Bringing Tami Nielsen back and watching all the characters dancing had an ominous "this is the end of the series" feeling, though. And we lasted how many ever seasons without Mike adding to his wife collection. Amazing.

I believe they are already filming season 11.  

• Like 5
On 6/5/2024 at 6:04 PM, badgerwoman said:

I believe they are already filming season 11.  

Good to know, thanks

While I was watching the latest episode I thought that the only way Mike would be leaving would be if this was the series finale.  But the more the episode went on the less likely that seemed, fortunately.