Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Josefina and the Holy Spirit

49 minutes ago, kieyra said:

Because if you haven’t seen Eva Green being possessed by an ancient evil ... you haven’t seen anything.

Just quoting for realness. 

I didn't realize something was up with Molly till I came here. I thought she was milking it up to piss off the mother, which is why the mother stood up. 

I can buy she was possessed or whatever though. And clearly fits the theme of the show. 

• Love 1
On 5/18/2020 at 4:43 PM, kieyra said:

the posts here have helped my quarantine brain actually connect with the material and understand what’s happening. 

I agree.  My knowledge of the history of this era other than fashion and music is not great at all...I have to keep looking things up.  I love the sets and scenery and trying to pick out what I recognize locally, but then I have to go back and rewatch for plot. 

I really wonder what horrendous chemicals those Trojans were lubricated with at the time...

• Love 1
5 hours ago, For Cereals said:

I really wonder what horrendous chemicals those Trojans were lubricated with at the time...

Condoms weren't pre-lubricated until the 1950s. Before then, people used Vaseline, Crisco, and K-Y gel if you could get a prescription for it.

• Love 1

I think I've figured out what bugs me about Molly - the actress, Kerry Bishe, is doing a fake American accent. From what I gather she's a New Zealander. There's something performative about the way she speaks which I find somewhat off-putting. (Also, I'm not impressed with her singing. She can carry a tune and that's about the extent of her talent.)

I feel the same way about the "American" accent Natalie Dormer is using when she's playing the assistant to the councilman. It doesn't sound like any American accent I've ever heard, but it does sound like what a Brit thinks an American accent sounds like. And I'd wager Germans feel the same way about her "German" accent. 

The difference is that I'm far more interested in the characters Natalie Dormer is playing than in Molly. It just feels like the story comes to a screeching halt whenever it shifts to the church. I can see why it fits into the theme but it's just the least compelling thing about the show.

• Love 1
(edited)

Tiago has 2 cop-killer brothers, a shaman mother, a cult leader girlfriend and a cult joining sister.  Although he may be protected from her, a shapeshifting demon is out to destroy everyone he knows, in addition to plunging the world into chaos...How many episodes left???

Edited by paigow
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I think I've figured out what bugs me about Molly - the actress, Kerry Bishe, is doing a fake American accent. From what I gather she's a New Zealander.

I had no idea. I watched her on Halt and Catch Fire and didn't notice a thing. I think she might be putting on some 1930s affect to it. I do think Dormer's accent is by design to be unassuming. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

There's something performative about the way she speaks which I find somewhat off-putting.

I don't mind her (within character) regular voice, but when she's on the radio she uses a sort of sing-song cadence that really annoys me. Probably Molly was coached to speak that way.

6 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I had no idea. I watched her on Halt and Catch Fire and didn't notice a thing. I think she might be putting on some 1930s affect to it. I do think Dormer's accent is by design to be unassuming. 

Ditto on HACF (all four seasons, never noticed a thing, and I have an ear for accent slips). Same assumption with the 30s radio/stage affectation. I have no familiarity with any of the religious (revival? Is that the right word?) performance stuff from this era, but that’s what I assumed was happening.