Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E12: Victory and Death

After seven seasons, one of the most critically acclaimed chapters in the Star Wars saga, “Star Wars: The Clone Wars,” will come to a close on a special day, Monday, May 4, giving fans around the world the chance to watch the finale together for Star Wars Day.

Rex and Ahsoka made sure to bury all the clones.  They knew that the clones were victims of Palpatine as well.  The clones may have opened fire on them and tried to kill them, but they had no choice.  In the end, those clones were still Rex and Ahoska's friends and brothers.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Jediknight said:

Rex and Ahsoka made sure to bury all the clones.

Not my point...the ground was hot and dry when she dropped her light saber...Vader showed up in winter and picked it up without digging or force pulling it...Only one clone helmet was NOT covered by snow so WTF?

Yep. I am most definitely crying. Not even going to try to blame onion ninjas or anything.

I fast-tracked binge-watching the entire series starting at the beginning of March or so. I wasn't interested before Mandalorian (which, incidentally, I also wasn't interested in but got sucked into and loved). This is actually my first post in this entire forum. I found the series amazing.

I personally thought the ending was perfect. I absolutely could NOT see Hayden Christensen's Anakin inside that helmet. I most definitely could see Clone Wars' Anakin. It helped me believe he could go dark side so quickly.

I still can't stand the prequels. Even on a re-watch a few months ago to see if I felt any differently after seeing them when they first came out, I found them boring, and Anakin seriously miscast in all 3. But this might have made me appreciate ROTS a little more.

Just started Rebels. Kinda sad that once I finish that, there won't be anything else for a while.

7 minutes ago, FierceCritter said:

Just started Rebels. Kinda sad that once I finish that, there won't be anything else for a while.

8 hours - i.e. weeks - of Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian documentary started today.    

• Useful 1
5 minutes ago, paigow said:

8 hours - i.e. weeks - of Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian documentary started today.    

I just saw that.

I pretty much meant actual story of some kind. I'm aware of some potential shows/movies, but I'm not a very patient person, lol. Not after seeing the original trilogy as a kid and the continuation of the Skywalker saga taking another 30 years to hit the screen. 

I had zero interest in the AU. Disappointed by the prequels (I seriously tried not to be). Left very, very "meh" by episodes 7, 8 and 9 (though I actually somewhat loved a good percentage of 7). I hadn't watched the animated shows so I didn't even know what the heck a Mandalorian was. I will admit it was Baby Yoda hitting social media that suckered me into a Disney+ subscription and thank the Gods because Mandalorian felt like my 4th favorite Star Wars movie. And word from a very AU-steeped geek friend about how much AU stuff ended up in Mandalorian is what finally got me to watch Clone Wars.

So, yeah. I'll enjoy the Mandalorian doc for sure. But I'll be jonesing for some new stories until SOMETHING hits a screen.

I guess I'll have to do my best to try to figure out which books to read - cannon or no - to fulfill my wish to know what happened to Luke between ROTJ and TFA. I've tried to google that and it's pretty convoluted, so I don't know where to start.

Probably not for the last time, but I don't know why they don't show force users actually fighting with the force more. I'm not a Maul fan, but I can buy him just rolling through everyone. Though I don't know why he'd not just lightning the engine instead of force pull.

I got a good laugh at - oh the shuttle! Oh, shit. With all the clones lined up. 

That was one bamf escape from the ship. 

Is there any significance to the planet they landed on? Was it Hoth?

• Love 1

I think Vader walled off Anakin by that point because he was consumed with hatred. If he looked for her than it would mean he still acknowledged Anakin. Same with Kenobi, who cut him down. I think he just took all that out hunting jedi. I would speculate whether he'd even recognize her in that state. 

Now - I understand the first Vader comic is outstanding and it may contain these answers. 

I would think he knew it was Ahsoka's saber. 

1 hour ago, SnoGirl said:

I think why I like Kanan so much is because he wasn’t so tied to the laws of the Jedi.

That's why all the games are popular as far back as KOTOR and Outcast because you break out of that mold. 

They should just give Filoni total creative control of the franchise tbh.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I think Vader walled off Anakin by that point because he was consumed with hatred. If he looked for her than it would mean he still acknowledged Anakin. Same with Kenobi, who cut him down. I think he just took all that out hunting jedi. I would speculate whether he'd even recognize her in that state. 

Now - I understand the first Vader comic is outstanding and it may contain these answers. 

I would think he knew it was Ahsoka's saber. 

That's why all the games are popular as far back as KOTOR and Outcast because you break out of that mold. 

They should just give Filoni total creative control of the franchise tbh.

I think the helmet helped too-it was an Ahsoka painted helmet. He would have known. What’s bonkers to me is the storm troopers with Vader had to have been clones right? I havent read a lot of Star Wars books or comics, so I don’t know if its been explained there, but do the Clones ever regain their true selves again? Or did they need to be de-chipped? It makes you wonder if any of those storm troopers knew what they were standing on, what had happened there.

I want Filoni writing and directing. I just watched the Mandalorian behind the scenes episode and Filoni is the best kind of Star Wars geek. They would be fools to not recognize how impactful he’s been.

The order 66 troopers knew Rex enough to demote him and talk to him before they opened fire. So I can buy they knew something had gone down. Vader could just be like, see - the Jedi did this. You knew them. Let's hunt them down and make them pay. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, paigow said:

Not my point...the ground was hot and dry when she dropped her light saber...Vader showed up in winter and picked it up without digging or force pulling it...Only one clone helmet was NOT covered by snow so WTF?

I wasn't talking about that.  I was just mentioning that Rex and Ahsoka knew that the other clones were victims as well.  They still considered them friends and brothers.

I just watched it again, and this time I noticed at the end that the first droid that took a blaster hit for Ahsoka is by their ship, it looks like it resting in pieces standing up right. Rex is stops right by it. They must have found it in the wreckage and are going to see if they can fix it.

Watching it a second time, its still such a tense and sad ending. 

Folks, I know it's hard, but this thread and other Clone Wars episode threads are a Rebels Spoiler-Free zone. Many people may only start watching Rebels now, and we don't want to ruin anything for others, so let's confine our discussion to the episode itself, and not any other shows. 

• Love 1
On 5/4/2020 at 11:25 AM, FierceCritter said:

FWIW, there's another cartoon series called Resistance - I only watched a few episodes back when Season 1 was first airing, but I believe the series has wrapped up at this point.  Fair warning though - it's a far different animation style from CW or Rebels that I found jarring at first.  But now that CW is done, I'm planning to give it another shot.

As for this episode, I don't know if it was quite what I was hoping for in a series finale - I was certainly expecting some kind of epilogue (or two), but I would have preferred seeing Rebels tie ins like 

Spoiler

Rex with Gregor and Wolf, or Ahsoka establishing Fulcrum.

Ending with Vader works though.  The first story we ever got from this series was Anakin growing to accept the apprentice he never wanted.  Here we get the end of that relationship - he has irrevocably lost her now.  Otherwise, I feel it's fitting that we got one last escape here from a crashing ship, just like we got one final bridge battle in part 1.  Finally, I want to say that this entire concluding arc has been visually stunning - this series really has come a long way.

Well . . . that was a satisfying ride.  I binged my way through the entire series in about 4 days and I regret nothing.  I found a great chart that puts all the Start Wars movies and series in chronological order (to the best of its ability) and I'm using that as a guide for my grand re-watch during the Pandemic.  So next stop is a re-watch of Episode 3 (the best movie of the prequel trilogy IMHO) and Solo (which I enjoyed), followed by another deep dive into new (for me) content -- the other animated series, Star Wars:  Rebels.

Looking back on The Clone Wars, it really is an amazing series.  I wonder if my feelings are going to be different now when I watch the core movies?  I have so much more sympathy for the clone soldiers now.  And my understanding of the level of betrayal experienced by . . . well EVERYONE . . . makes my hatred of Darth Sideous that much more pronounced and will definitely deepen my grief & rage at the slaughter of the Jedi.

May the Force be with you all.