Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Northern Exposure

• Start Topic

Ryn, Ben and Maddie must recruit new allies in the fight against Tia; Helen seeks answers when she's haunted by Donna's spirit; Tia obtains dangerous weapons she plans to use in her fight; Xander struggles to make amends with Annie.

Promo:

Original air date: 5/7/20

This episode made me think about how much Xander has grown on me in 3 seasons. He used to annoy me in S1 and now he's the one who cracks me up by tellling mysterious military people that he and Ben haven't labeled their relationship.

Also hilarious: Ryn chomping on raw carrots while everyone else had a fancy dinner.

Weirdly, once Robb's secrets were all out in the open, I liked him. I can understand why he didn't immediately tell Maddie what he was. She of all people should understand why that's a secret he can't just go around blabbing to everyone. Once the truth was out, his character made so much more sense. Now that it seems clear that Maddie and Ben are no longer romantically involved, I'm sad that the show threw Robb in only to take him away from Maddie once he stopped seeming sketchy.

• Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

This episode made me think about how much Xander has grown on me in 3 seasons. He used to annoy me in S1 and now he's the one who cracks me up by tellling mysterious military people that he and Ben haven't labeled their relationship.

Also hilarious: Ryn chomping on raw carrots while everyone else had a fancy dinner.

Those were crab legs. She was chewing the shell.

I cosign your appreciation of Xander. He's really grown on me. He's reminding me of Xander on Buffy in that he's always ready to step up and help Team Mermaid. But I'm wondering something: what happened to Maddie's dad as the sheriff? I remember there was some drama with her mom but I'm drawing a blank on why he's not around. I think they've mentioned Sheriff Dale a few times but given how Xander is in the police academy it seems weird that he's not around.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 2

So I am assuming that was the healing sound cave thingy that Tia blew up at the end?  Also add me as one who now likes Robb but am upset he is no longer around, also kind of sad that Ben and Maddie are now pretty much done....

• Love 1

My dislike for Ben has reached nuclear levels. I wouldn't mind if he just died. Obviously he was just tolerating Maddie because Ryn cares for her too. If Ryn hadn't been okay with the three way relationship he would have broken up with Maddie for Ryn a long time ago. His over protectiveness of Ryn drives me crazy. She is a warrior and head of her tribe! All I think when I see him is "white savior syndrome". 

I hope Robb comes back. He is way more interesting. His whole tribe seems very interesting.

Tia is a real monster. How many of her people has she killed? Maddie is awesome. And again I hate Ben.

• Love 2

Anytime they go deeper into the mythology of the Merfolk I just eat it up so I loved this episode. 

I was surprised that the Alaska tribe had such a small spot to gender-swap in, especially when it depends on the survival of their own. You'd think it wouldn't be such a rarity, or maybe I missed the part where all the pollution dwindled the areas they had. 

Robb not being able to transform due to being on land to long is what I originally wanted for Helen so it was nice to see something like that added. 

• Love 1
On 5/8/2020 at 7:42 PM, clyo22 said:

I hope Robb comes back. He is way more interesting. His whole tribe seems very interesting

Me too.  It takes a lot for me to not see something predictable or obvious coming in a plot, but his reveal the week before threw both MrCtlady and I for a loop.  I find his predicament and his tribe very interesting indeed

On 5/8/2020 at 7:42 PM, clyo22 said:

All I think when I see him is "white savior syndrome". 

I don't know what being 'white' has to do with it.  To me it was more cave-manish "me man and must save woman' thing

On 5/8/2020 at 1:42 PM, marceline said:

I cosign your appreciation of Xander. He's really grown on me

Me three here.  The actor's delivery of his lines and mannerisms last night were the best I've seen.  Usually they come across a little hyper, but he reigned it in a bit last night.  Everything he's been through has matured him and you can especially see it during his interactions with Calvin

Okay - speculation time here.......

With all the super-mega doses of mermaid DNA Ben is injecting himself with, am I  the only one wondering how long it'll be before one of the effects will be an ability to transform?  And...if that's possible, then perhaps that'll be a way for Robb to regain his ability to transform.  And maybe even for Helen as well.

Ben's a marine biologist - who currently doesn't really have much of a job with any work to do so he can basically run around Bristol Cove after Ryn.  He's male (which there seems to be a shortage of - at least in Robb's tribe).  He'd probably make quite an asset as a merman.

• Love 2

Well crap, now that Robb has finally gotten interesting, he has to go. That sucks, but hopefully Ben, Maddie, and Ryn can all actually talk now, it seems like Maddie and Ben are just in this weird relationship no mans land where they are seemingly broken up, but never really talked about it, they just moved to dealing with this other stuff. I would say that Ben should tell him about his merfolk injections, but this all started when he told Maddie the truth about the journalist he let die, so maybe that would make things worse? Then, of course, maybe its a good idea to, you know, stop doing that?! Come on Ben, this is basically turning into a super villain origin story! 

Xander is my most improved player by far this season, he is really stepping it up to help everyone out, and just being there when the mersquad needs some backup. 

I love learning more about the merfolk and their various cultures, so I loved everything about the Alaskan tribe, how they change gender, how they are in contact with the local humans, it was all really cool and interesting. No pun intended. 

• Love 2
On 5/8/2020 at 4:42 PM, clyo22 said:

His over protectiveness of Ryn drives me crazy. She is a warrior and head of her tribe! All I think when I see him is "white savior syndrome".

While I'm one of the first to point out this "White savior syndrome" in scripted shows, I don't think it's entirely warranted in this case.  While Ryn may be a Warrior and head of her tribe, she is thoroughly outclassed by Tia.  Ryn lacks certain skills that someone with a different mindset can readily see.  For instance, Ryn saw Tia's challenge and was ready to just throw down, both Ben and Maddie, even Helen, and Xander imparted some crucial knowledge that helped Ryn in her fight. Help with battle plans is just expected.  Ryn is not a seasoned campaign fighter.  Plus Tia is a cheater.  She didn't beat her opponents fairly, her lance was rigged to elongate at the press of a button.  That as not a mermaid-made lance, that lance was created by humans specifically to kill other mermaids.