Type keyword(s) to search

I Know That Face: HITG (Hey It's That Guy/Girl!)

You know you watch too much Syfy channel when you start being able to recognise individual trees let alone actors or buildings. Worse at one point SG-1 and SGA shared a "ye olde village" set and used it redressed in different drapes and candles every week. It went from a "Hey It's That Set!" to me desperately wanting it to blow up because of the screentime it hogged.

• Love 3

Didn't they eventually destroy that set?  I remember there was a massive behind the scenes featurette about building it, and then no more than two years later (I think) they destroyed it, with some glee.  

Of course, they usually are gleeful when they blow stuff up.

• Love 1

I think it featured in SGA S4 at least, not sure about 5 so maybe production had stopped by then. A scary amount of the Vancouver acting pool has ceased to be HITG to me because they appeared in so many shows I watched I learned their names and read various fandom bits and pieces over the years, even if they never had a big role anywhere. James Hong was a big (very welcome) HITG for me and I only learned his name in this thread, cool. 

You know you watch too much Syfy channel when you start being able to recognise individual trees let alone actors or buildings. Worse at one point SG-1 and SGA shared a "ye olde village" set and used it redressed in different drapes and candles every week. It went from a "Hey It's That Set!" to me desperately wanting it to blow up because of the screentime it hogged.

I've been known to say, "Hey, it's that alley!" for a lot of the shows shot in Vancouver.

I've said this a while ago, but those of us who watch The 4400 and SGA made up this coda about how Garrity's "twin" decided to join the Air Force and ended up on the Stargate project and changed his name.

I think it featured in SGA S4 at least, not sure about 5 so maybe production had stopped by then. A scary amount of the Vancouver acting pool has ceased to be HITG to me because they appeared in so many shows I watched I learned their names and read various fandom bits and pieces over the years, even if they never had a big role anywhere. James Hong was a big (very welcome) HITG for me and I only learned his name in this thread, cool. 

Highlander fandom used to call that the Vancouver Repertory Company.  If you watched carefully, there were actors who would show up in multiple different  supporting and bit parts over the show's run.  I think the producers figured that, hey, scenes set over several thousand years. If you cast him once in a loincloth, a second time in Edwardian dress and a third time as a 1996 cop, people won't notice the face is the same because the costume is different enough.

Oh yeah. I loved Highlander. At the time, there was a ton of good syndicated shows on, and all those actors were there. It's like watching UK shows. There's only 45 actors. They're on literally every show. I love it because you see all the actors playing totally different roles. I think it's a lot better for them actually, in terms of their 'craft'.

These are the people you can call on, and they'll come in and be ready to go. 

Clint Howard.  He's shows up everywhere and his face is really distinctive.  it was just like five years ago or so I realized he was Ron Howard's brother.  So even now, when I couldn't think of his first name, I googled 'Ron Howard's Brother.' 

• Love 1

I still can't wrap my mind around the fact that the black guy in the Allstate commercials - Dennis Haysbert - played Cerrano (the player who used voodoo) in "Major League". Every now and then I hear it in his voice, but he is just SO different. I guess that's what makes him a good actor!

• Love 2
(edited)

I still can't wrap my mind around the fact that the black guy in the Allstate commercials - Dennis Haysbert - played Cerrano (the player who used voodoo) in "Major League". Every now and then I hear it in his voice, but he is just SO different. I guess that's what makes him a good actor!

Yeah, but he was like... the second or third billed star on "24" for a few seasons (EDIT - a little checking verifies it was actually like... 5 seasons... although he got less time for a few of them), playing the President of the United States. So HITG status for Haysbert is iffy, given how popular "24" was. Edited by Kromm

Though given how many HITGs ended up with significant story arcs on 24, I'm willing to say that it's such a marker of being one that any major roll on the show save playing Jack Bauer more solidifies the status than DQs you from it.