Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Audition

I assume this is the episode airing tonight on PBS? (Question mark, since the air dates in the thread titles are those of the original British premieres.)

Related question: It's well-known that PBS edited stuff out of Downton Abbey to make it fit the "Masterpiece" time slot. Are those bastards doing anything of the kind with Vicious? They better not be! (But if so, is it better to watch the streaming versions?)

Ahh, another Sunday night filled with British candy!  We are so lucky to have 5 full hours of Brit-coms and dramas.  I don't believe they are messing with Vicious to fit the time slot, but I have no means to find out.  Just happy to see it!

On a shallow note, are Ash's pectoral muscles a little high on his chest?

Related question: It's well-known that PBS edited stuff out of Downton Abbey to make it fit the "Masterpiece" time slot. Are those bastards doing anything of the kind with Vicious? They better not be! (But if so, is it better to watch the streaming versions?)

The last couple of seasons, the American version of Downton is actually longer than the British version, because it airs with commercials in the UK. If I'm not mistaken, Vicious also aired with commercials in the UK, which is why we have filler like the interview with De LaTour, at the end.

And yeah, I totally want to see McKellen as a guest star next season on Downton as Wait Staff #4. 

• Love 1

Regarding whether to watch on PBS or streaming...we watched on PBS last night, and I noticed a couple of bleeped words. We watched the first two episodes via streaming on our TV, and I seem to recall the occasional "naughty" word being uttered unbleeped, as if we're all adults who have heard those words before. Since I find the bleeps annoying, I think I may opt for streaming in the future.

Re this episode, it was another good one. Out of a lot of good moments, I think my favorite might have been Violet saying to Ash, "Take off your shirt now." Frances de la Tour rocks.

• Love 2

And, I agree with the guys - having Maggie Smith compliment your jumper is one of the great accomplishments of life.  Though, during that conversation, I kept thinking of Ian's awesome Maggie Smith imitation when he hosted SNL. 

• Love 2

My favorite part was the first time Freddie reads his line, "I just wanted to put these potatoes away." The way McKellen reads it and then thumbs thru the pages to see if that's it just cracked me up.

I just adore his hamminess.

(edited)

I was halfway between feeling really uncomfortable that Stuart and Violet genuinely dealt a permanent blow to Ash's self-confidence (he will probably never go on an audition again), and admiring the show for letting its lead characters be just that despicable.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 1

Damn bleeping. What was the final word in this episode?

Stuart told Freddie, "You were shit!"

I kind of wish this were on BBC America, because at least they'll leave that word in.