Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E15: Pastor Paul

• Start Topic

I saw a therapist after my mother passed away.  I told a friend how helpful the therapist was and my friend said that she might make an appointment to see that therapist.  I told my therapist to expect a call from my friend.  My therapist told me that she couldn't see my friend because I had mentioned my friend in my sessions with the therapist and it would be unethical for my therapist to treat someone  that she had discussed in therapy sessions with someone else.  She said that the only exception would be with something like couple's counseling. That's all that I could think of last night. Are there any therapists out there?  I'm wondering if my therapist was being overly cautious or if she as correct.  Either way, I don't think she should have been discussing Connie with Pastor Paul.

I did love all of the truck discussions that were metaphors to women/men.  Very clever.

• Love 1

There are probably guidelines for therapists for dealing with such scenarios. But anyone running a therapist office in a more rural area will sooner or later have to face something like this. 

And I finally realized where I knew Pastor Paul from - he played the husband of the oldest Huxtable daughter right?

• Love 5
5 hours ago, MissLucas said:

And I finally realized where I knew Pastor Paul from - he played the husband of the oldest Huxtable daughter right?

Yes!  And I loved that!  I think it was last year or so that he was “caught” on social media bagging groceries. Many mocked him, but he explained that there is dignity in whatever work you do to make a living. 
I believe he was teaching acting at time?

good on this show for getting him back to acting if that’s his first love. Does not diminish that bagging groceries is also a dignified job. . 

People suck!

• Love 7
On 3/21/2020 at 12:20 AM, pennben said:

Yes!  And I loved that!  I think it was last year or so that he was “caught” on social media bagging groceries. Many mocked him, but he explained that there is dignity in whatever work you do to make a living. 

good on this show for getting him back to acting if that’s his first love. Does not diminish that bagging groceries is also a dignified job. . 

People suck!

What a lovely post!  And I so agree with you. This man works to support his family - regardless of the job. 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I like the pastor. I also liked the idea of a running gag of Rio seeing random town weirdos in her therapy practice.

And Rudy’s response to the gas sniffer.  lol.  I love him as her receptionist. 

• Love 1
On 3/20/2020 at 7:31 AM, ShelleySue said:

I saw a therapist after my mother passed away.  I told a friend how helpful the therapist was and my friend said that she might make an appointment to see that therapist.  I told my therapist to expect a call from my friend.  My therapist told me that she couldn't see my friend because I had mentioned my friend in my sessions with the therapist and it would be unethical for my therapist to treat someone  that she had discussed in therapy sessions with someone else.  She said that the only exception would be with something like couple's counseling. That's all that I could think of last night. Are there any therapists out there?  I'm wondering if my therapist was being overly cautious or if she as correct.  Either way, I don't think she should have been discussing Connie with Pastor Paul.

I did love all of the truck discussions that were metaphors to women/men.  Very clever.

On 3/20/2020 at 3:53 PM, MissLucas said:

There are probably guidelines for therapists for dealing with such scenarios. But anyone running a therapist office in a more rural area will sooner or later have to face something like this.

Yes, I do know that there are guidelines, it's not hard and fast ethical rule, such as confidentiality or don't fuck your patients. 🙂 For instance, some family members and I all see the same counselor for different issues. There's not a huge pool to choose from with our insurance and geographic area, so it is what it is.

Also, when I was in college, my roommate and I saw the same counselor. Small-ish college, not many counselors. I'm sure she had a lot of patients who ended up talking about other patients, simply because of the intertwined lives of students on a small-ish college campus. Anyway, specifically with the situation with my roommate, she assured us all that we could each feel free to be honest about our feelings about the other because, in those kinds of situations, she was very well-trained to understand that each individual person is only sharing their impression of a story, not THE concrete set-in-stone story, so it wouldn't affect her work with the other person.

On 3/20/2020 at 9:20 PM, pennben said:

People suck!

Yes, and in a slant on the topic that is particularly relevant with the current situation, he did mention that he was actually making enough money to live on, between guest spots on TV shows and teaching acting...but he wasn't getting enough screentime per year to qualify for SAG insurance, and he needed that Trader Joe's health insurance! 😮

And I second, third, fourth, fifth and BEYOND the sentiment that if you are doing honest work to support yourself and your family, FUCK ANYONE who wants to make fun of your job. The very act of working and contributing is dignified. Screw anyone who thinks a particular way of doing that is beneath them!

• Love 4
On 3/21/2020 at 12:20 AM, pennben said:

People suck!

I was so heated about that - mocking someone for doing honest work. 

On 3/20/2020 at 10:31 AM, ShelleySue said:

I've heard something similar from a family friend whose daughter is a therapist. I don't know the actual rules, though.