Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E08: Family Tree

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Danielg342 said:

From the Futon Critic:

"Prentiss and J.J. are faced with important decisions to make about their futures as the BAU travels to Beaumont, Texas to investigate a series of murdered businessmen."

Note the special start time- 10PM tonight instead of 9PM.

A bit late as I won't be watching CM til tomorrow, but it was on at 9pm in Ontario.

10 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

The killer-as-narrator was an interesting twist.

Yes! And they ended with them quoting Ted Bundy as well (and yeow, what a quote to pick at that), which really added to the unsettled nature of that whole ending sequence. I liked that. I was so certain the episode would end with some kind of dramatic event, since the unsub had been taken down a little earlier than usual, but no, this was actually an appropriate tone to leave things on to set us up for next week. I'm thinking those recordings will come back in some way in the finale? Maybe this unsub has a connection to the Chameleon? 

They were just determined to have me fretting over Rossi this episode, weren't they? First that fakeout with the fantasy sequence in the woods, then I'm sitting here all anxious as he's getting into his car at the end. 

Very curious to see what Emily and JJ do with their job offers :). 

• Love 2

letter-f.jpg

I really don't have much to say about this case because everything I could say about this case I've said about other cases before. I guess it's fitting that CM's final "Case Of The Week" went like many others of recent vintage, warts and all.

All I really want to say is, not sure what I feel about JJ as Unit Chief. Her turn as Chief in S13 didn't inspire any confidence in me that she could do the job. I also wonder why Reid couldn't be considered for the job. After all, he does have more experience than JJ does and I think he could be an effective leader (as he has been more confident of late), though Reid doesn't strike me as the type that wants a leadership role.

I also have to wonder, "why not Garcia?" Yeah, she's shown to be immature and woefully unprofessional, but Garcia does happen to solve almost all their cases. Like tonight.

Lastly, if they do a show where Emily Prentiss is FBI Director, I would be completely in. It's about time Paget Brewster got a chance to lead a series, and a real series centred around her. Do it, CBS.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

Lastly, if they do a show where Emily Prentiss is FBI Director, I would be completely in. It's about time Paget Brewster got a chance to lead a series, and a real series centred around her. Do it, CBS.

I co-sign this idea. Yes :). 

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, GussieK said:

I don’t understand the end. Who was that guy?  Has he been seen on previous episodes?  

Everett Lynch (aka The Chameleon). He's the guy Rossi was referring to when he was talking about the last person he had an encounter with in the woods, and PTSD.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Everett Lynch (aka The Chameleon). He's the guy Rossi was referring to when he was talking about the last person he had an encounter with in the woods, and PTSD.

Thanks. I guessed that but couldn’t be sure. Is he still alive or is this a fantasy?  Will we be seeing this as a story line?  

• Love 2

What the hell?

If this wasn’t the  2nd to last episode ever ever ever I might rate it higher but what the ever loving freaking hell?

Instead of focusing on the team or bringing in old team members for a stupid pandering cameo they focused on a boring ass unsub. 

I am probably going to be in the minority but I did like the JJ and Prentiss stuff.   Prentiss getting promoted to a political position.   This is a woman who when she first got hired commented how much she hated politics.  Irony thy name is Emily.   I also like the idea of JJ taking over the team.    Next to Reid (who is not about to get the job for a couple of reasons most notably his stint in prison  but also he does lack the interpersonal skills to run a team.). JJ has been on the team the longest.

Still....what the freaking hell.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, GussieK said:
  Hide contents

So the next episode is the series finale?  Did not realize it was coming so soon.   I accidentally added a spoiler tag and can't get rid of it.  There is no spoiler.  Help??

I think TV Guide listed two episodes next week, so I guess it's technically a two-hour finale. Didn't realize it was the finale already until the promo at the end. I thought there were a few more episodes. Oh, well. Kinda ready for it to be done.

[To get rid of quote or spoiler boxes (if you're on a computer, at least, not sure about phone/tablet) in edit mode, hover your mouse over the box and you'll see a little square with arrows inside it just above the top left corner. Click it and it'll highlight the box with a blue border. Then hit delete. (That little handle also lets you click and drag the box up or down within your comment, if you want to move it.)]

• Love 2
9 hours ago, GussieK said:

Thanks. I guessed that but couldn’t be sure. Is he still alive or is this a fantasy?  Will we be seeing this as a story line?  

I am guessing the last couple episodes are going to deal at least in Part with Rossi and if he even wants to stay in the FBI anymore,  it’s not like he has any “unfinished business”.    He has Krystall.  He has his writing.   He could walk away at any time and not feel like he left anyone behind. 

And I know he is a super popular character but Reid is just not boss material.   There is nothing wrong with that.   I can see Rossi retiring and Reid moving into his office and being JJ’s #2.    That would also be a weird little irony.   

As for Garcia completely different skill set.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, GussieK said:

He's still alive. I'm guessing he'll be the last "business" for Rossi to finish; I feel like they were hinting he might retire.

9 hours ago, GussieK said:

ETA  removed spoiler--thanks @ams1001

You're welcome! Those accidental quote boxes made me so frustrated before I figured that out! I've seen the same question more than once so now I like to share my hard-earned knowledge. 😉

So if Emily takes the job she'll stay in Washington? I thought she'd end up moving to Denver(?) to be with what's-his-name.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I should say I wasn't seriously suggesting Garcia as a replacement for Unit Chief. It was supposed to be sarcasm, pointing out one of the many flaws CM never addressed- the fact that Garcia seems to do almost all the work for the BAU. It happens so often that you wonder why the FBI even has the BAU in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I really didn't expect that job offer for Emily. I was so sure the decision she was gonna face in last night's episode had to do with moving to Denver or not. And I was worrying about a demotion. But wow ! FBI director ? That's one heck of a promotion, and I'm proud that she has been considered for the position.

HOWEVER, I don't know if that job would fit her. People change of course, but the Emily I've met 13 years ago would get bored to death in a political job. 

• Love 4

I see they have decided to continue with their fantasy parallel universe where the FBI is just as it was when the show started.  Because we have seen enough of turnover recently in the actual FBI to know there is NO WAY Emily would be floated as a political appointee in this one. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Pietr said:

I see they have decided to continue with their fantasy parallel universe where the FBI is just as it was when the show started.  Because we have seen enough of turnover recently in the actual FBI to know there is NO WAY Emily would be floated as a political appointee in this one. 

That is an interesting observation. Can you elaborate?

3 hours ago, Mysteyman said:

I think it is all a big fakeout.NOBODY IS GOING ANYWHERE OR BEING PROMOTED!

The series will end with  the BAU sticking together, AS THEY SHOULD!

Spoiler

Rossi is retiring, as per the press release at the Futon Critic.

You may be right about Prentiss and JJ- being so direct about their futures does feel like the setup to a twist- although with this being the final season, it may be more believable that Prentiss and JJ leave because the show doesn't have to worry about replacing them in the aftermath.

Besides, I really want to see "Emily Prentiss, FBI Director" as a TV show. It's Paget's time to shine on her own.

Edited by Danielg342
  • Love 2
On 2/13/2020 at 6:33 AM, ams1001 said:

I think TV Guide listed two episodes next week, so I guess it's technically a two-hour finale. Didn't realize it was the finale already until the promo at the end. I thought there were a few more episodes. Oh, well. Kinda ready for it to be done.

It's not really a two hour finale. The first hour is a continuation of this (S15.E08) episode. Then the finale (S15.E10) wraps up the series.

ETA: Actually, after reading the upcoming stuff and without spoiling anything, the next two episodes sort of continue this one, so it does look like a two hour series finale.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, preeya said:

It's not really a two hour finale. The first hour is a continuation of this (S15.E08) episode. Then the finale (S15.E10) wraps up the series.

ETA: Actually, after reading the upcoming stuff and without spoiling anything, the next two episodes sort of continue this one, so it does look like a two hour series finale.

I got that feeling with this weeks Unsub's vocal segue into Face Off  at the end.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

That is an interesting observation. Can you elaborate?

Reveal spoiler

Rossi is retiring, as per the press release at the Futon Critic.

The FBI has never promoted directly from within for the director, since it is the one political appointee position in the bureau and that recommendation would come from the president, or the Department of Justice at a minimum. It's not to say that previous directors have never worked in the FBI. Only that they didn't come directly from within. Besides, if they were going to promote directly from within, you would think they would elevate the deputy director or the associate deputy director, and not reach down into the tiny section that is the BAU. There are field offices that have bigger profiles and work forces than the mere BAU. That's not even getting into the real world political drama that surrounds the FBI, which this show has (probably wisely) never touched in the slightest. If the show was going for such a huge promotion for Emily, it would make sense if it was the associate deputy director, so she is elevated to the number three position in the Bureau, which is still a huge deal. 

Edited by ForeverAlone
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

@ForeverAlone

Here's the thing about CM's version of the FBI: apart from Linda Barnes' "annihilation" of the team back in S13 and a few of Erin Strauss' machinations, we have never seen the inner politics of the FBI on display at all. The BAU largely operates in this bubble where what goes on in the rest of the Bureau is largely unknown and doesn't really affect them.

Really, for all we know, the drama that's surrounded James Comey and Andrew McCabe in real life could have happened in the CM world as well. Remember, CM did once acknowledge that Barack Obama was President of the United States when Obama actually was President (I believe the reference was made in "Amplification", which aired in 2009), and in "LDSK", JJ justified the arrest of the journalist by invoking the Patriot Act, which means that George W. Bush became President in CM's world too (and remember this was at a time when Bush wasn't well liked). So it's not outside of the realm of possibility that Donald Trump is the President in CM's world as well and that what he's done in real life also occurred in CM's world as well.

Of course, it's also entirely possible that the CM world has a different President. CM has made up three politicians*- Congressman Benjamin Troy and Senators Cramer and Mayhew (the latter of which seems to have enough pull to undo Barnes' annihilation). Troy from "Rock Creek Park" was an up-and-comer at the time (2015) which could mean he became President in CM's world.

(*I know CM created a fourth, but James Stanworth ("25 to Life") is in jail. He'd definitely not be President in CM's world)

Getting to what @Pietr said, which is "in the real world, Emily Prentiss would never be in consideration for FBI Director". For me, I can't fully agree with that analysis because there are a lot of unknowns that the show has never addressed (and likely will not address), as well as a few other considerations:

• From what I understand from this episode, Prentiss' name was merely added to a list of potential candidates that would then have to be trimmed down, likely by the President himself. We don't know yet if she actually is on the President's radar.
  • Prentiss' political leanings are largely unknown. Without getting into needless political debates, it is quite possible that Prentiss' politics align with whomever the President is in the CM world, which is why she got considered for the "long list" in the first place.
  • Prentiss may have once said she hates politics, and maybe she still does. That said, she's shown to be adept at handling politics and administrative issues and drama. Plus, Prentiss made her declaration over a decade ago- a lot can change since then. She's arguably more ready for a "political" role today than she was in 2007.
  • Most importantly, the CM world has established that the BAU are a pretty big deal within not just the FBI but the government and the wider law enforcement world as well. Linda Barnes called the BAU "the face of the FBI", and foreign law enforcement officials know the BAU members by name (if not also American ones). Quite clearly, the BAU are not lower level "office types" that are just one department of the many in the FBI- their work has transcended the FBI and gotten them notice in the wider public. So it wouldn't surprise me if government types think the BAU Chief would be worthy of the Director's role.
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
On 2/13/2020 at 6:06 AM, Chaos Theory said:

Instead of focusing on the team or bringing in old team members for a stupid pandering cameo they focused on a boring ass unsub. 

I didn't realize it until the final scene on the plane, when I was thinking "Where were all of these people during the whole episode?" 

Holy smokes was Garcia annoying in this episode. No matter how wacky she was supposed to be as a hacker-turned-analyst at the beginning of the series, she should be more professional by now. Her "banter" with Luke was excruciating, and has been for a while. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Upon further reflection, among the two if anybody leaves, Its going to be JJ.

Wasn't Will born in New Orleans?

Moving back there gives their sons a stronger connection to their dad.

Its also a way of giving back to Will, who has been a very good husband and father.

Edited by Mysteyman
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Mystery said:

Holy smokes was Garcia annoying in this episode. No matter how wacky she was supposed to be as a hacker-turned-analyst at the beginning of the series, she should be more professional by now. Her "banter" with Luke was excruciating, and has been for a while. 

ITA ↑   She's become very egotistical which is annoying and distracting. Her constantly calling Luke "newbie" is childish and a bit too much, especially since he's been with the team for more than three years.

Zip it up Penelope.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Mysteyman said:

Upon further reflection, among the two if anybody leaves, Its going to be JJ.

Wasn't Will born in New Orleans?

Moving back there gives their sons a stronger connection to their dad.

Its also a way of giving back to Will, who has been a very good husband and father.

Considering that Will- in a rare Hollywood example of a "stay at home dad"- gave up his entire life to accommodate JJ's (and their initial unexpected baby), it would seem only fair that JJ gives back to Will by moving back to The Big Easy. Will could even go back to working again if he wanted to.

Besides, there's lots of advantages to moving to New Orleans. Bourbon Street, better weather, better food, a better football team...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Danielg342 said:

Considering that Will- in a rare Hollywood example of a "stay at home dad"- gave up his entire life to accommodate JJ's (and their initial unexpected baby), it would seem only fair that JJ gives back to Will by moving back to The Big Easy. Will could even go back to working again if he wanted to.

Besides, there's lots of advantages to moving to New Orleans. Bourbon Street, better weather, better food, a better football team...

Agree with everything except "better weather."

• Like 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, preeya said:

Agree with everything except "better weather."

"Who Dat!" 😛

(The Saints were always my No. 2 after Buffalo. Here I was thinking I'd get piled on for my sly reference to the football club)

Anyway, I was more comparing New Orleans to Washington, D.C....at least when comparing the two cities, New Orleans doesn't get winters like Washington does. Whether or not that's better...I guess mileage varies.

8 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

"Who Dat!" 😛

(The Saints were always my No. 2 after Buffalo. Here I was thinking I'd get piled on for my sly reference to the football club)

Anyway, I was more comparing New Orleans to Washington, D.C....at least when comparing the two cities, New Orleans doesn't get winters like Washington does. Whether or not that's better...I guess mileage varies.

I was considering Virginia's weather vs. NOLA, which is ultra humid, and yes, the Saints are more interesting than the 'Skins.  🏈     BUT all this is just a matter of preferences.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 1

I'm a mix of emotions. Excited and sad and anxious all at once :p.

I can't think of a lot of specific things off the top of my head, but I do know that whatever happens, so long as the team members all end up in happy places, that'll be good enough for me :). 

I do not think it is reasonable that a ‘bureau chief’ who seems to supervise less than 10 people would leapfrog multiple layers of management to become director of the FBI.  As for her replacement, I’d suggest Matt.

and, yes, it’s Wills’ turn.  He immediately came to DC, even though JJ wasn’t even sure she wanted a relationship, patiently let her go towards a relationship and marriage  at a  snails pace.  

Edited by mythoughtis