Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: Born This Way

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I've been thinking about the extreme desire that Jazz's parents have for her to attend Harvard.  I get how you want the best for your adult child, but, with them, it seems almost like a ego thing. Like, it would be great to say as a parent that your child attended Harvard.  I just wonder if it wouldn't be better to tell her, that they are proud of her wherever she decides to attend and leave it at that. If she makes a decision that she later regrets, then, so be it.  Life is about choices.  For me, it's her choice. 

I really agree with this. Looking up what Pamona offers, I don't understand how her parents can look at that, compare it to Harvard and then think Harvard is genuinely a better fit for Jazz. Jazz just underwent transition surgery and is having complications with it, she has NEVER in her life been away from home and been responsible for herself, and her emotional issues have shown time and again she absolutely needs an extensive support system. If she's ever going to cut the apron strings like she supposed wants to, that's absolutely necessary.

While I'm sure Harvard has LGBT support groups and the like, a smaller school that has smaller class sizes and probably more involved professors means that she'll have a much better chance of actually building her own support network there, which she needs. What does Harvard offer that's better than that for Jazz specifically?

On another note, I don't know why I'm being forced to watch her mom's "I'm getting old" crisis and see her going to see plastic surgeons, etc. I honestly don't care and I don't watch this show to waste huge chunks of an episode on her. 

Edited by missnoa
  • Love 7
On 2/12/2020 at 9:24 AM, ClareWalks said:

I just think it's so hypocritical that Jeanette has this "let your kids decide their own path" attitude in general, but is pressuring Jazz to go to Harvard even though she CLEARLY doesn't want to. That kind of ultra-competitive environment would destroy Jazz and her family doesn't seem to care. A small liberal arts college is perfect for her.

Agreed.  Jazz really seems to need to attend a college where she can be a bigger fish in a smaller pond.  I understand that in a "normal" situation, parents might want their child to attend an Ivy because the school's prestige and name recognition may equate to more opportunities later.  In Jazz's case, though, what tipped the scales for her admission to Harvard (her advocacy, story, etc.) are the same things that will draw certain employers to her, so it doesn't seem to be as important for her to have the Ivy "behind" her, so to speak.  

The other thing that's driving me crazy is that on the commercial for the next episode, Jeannette tells Jazz that CA's too far away for her to go because Jazz isn't stable enough.  I know MA is "closer" to FL, but is it really closer in any meaningful way to help a kid who isn't stable?  If Jazz is really that unstable, then should probably stay at home a little longer and enroll in whatever college is nearby.  There wouldn't be anything wrong with that.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, readheaded said:

If Jazz is really that unstable, then should probably stay at home a little longer and enroll in whatever college is nearby.  There wouldn't be anything wrong with that.

Yes, based on what Jeanette says Jazz needs to go to a college or junior college that is at most 3-4 hours away.  I keep recommending New College, but it looks like the college selection ship USS Harvard is about to set sail.  (If Jazz is too immature to keep up with her dilation schedule, she really is too immature to go to an away school).  Maybe Jeanette should be honest and say that Jazz is immature and spoiled. 

I am really not interested in Jeanette.  And even the grandparents are getting on my last nerve with this show. 

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, Twopper said:

Yes, based on what Jeanette says Jazz needs to go to a college or junior college that is at most 3-4 hours away.  I keep recommending New College, but it looks like the college selection ship USS Harvard is about to set sail.  (If Jazz is too immature to keep up with her dilation schedule, she really is too immature to go to an away school).  Maybe Jeanette should be honest and say that Jazz is immature and spoiled. 

I am really not interested in Jeanette.  And even the grandparents are getting on my last nerve with this show. 

I'd also not be paying for or facilitating any additional surgeries if Jazz wasn't maintaining her new vagina and doing the dilation.  Why continue to invest in something she's not taking care of?

• Love 7

Greg looked extra cute at their dinner date.  I think he’s sweet, handsome and under appreciated by Jeanette. She needs to chill the eff out & enjoy him. 

Jazz needs to get on with life without Mommy & Daddy hovering.  

• Love 4
On 2/13/2020 at 1:58 PM, ClareWalks said:

I totally agree and to go further, I don't understand grown women who place such a massive value on being or feeling pretty. If you don't have beauty, figure out what you DO have and work with THAT. I'm not beautiful, never have been and never will be. I value the traits I do have and the things I have some control over, like my physical fitness and my intellect. It's truly tragic that this middle-aged woman has had such poor self-image drilled into her head for so long and that she continues to let it bother her so much. Seems like a LOT of the people in this episode need therapy 😛

Women want to be pretty because that is what society, movies, tv "tells" us to be. There is so much pressure from society to be pretty.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Nancy S said:

Women want to be pretty because that is what society, movies, tv "tells" us to be. There is so much pressure from society to be pretty.

I am aware of what society "tells" women, as I am in fact a woman. We don't individually HAVE to value beauty just because society as a whole does.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I am aware of what society "tells" women, as I am in fact a woman. We don't individually HAVE to value beauty just because society as a whole does.

I agree with what you say (and I am assuming we are talking about outer beauty) but don't you think every person value beauty in some way? I know I do. 

On 2/12/2020 at 5:34 AM, Visaman666 said:

It is, appearently, the #1 college in The US.  It's more like a small community college, or glorified high school. Their Football team is in Dvision III. Plus, it is in California.

Hmm. Here in LA it has no reputation whatsover. Never heard of it before this show and it apparently is a religious college, so odd that Jazz was sold on it. The town of Pomona is well-known for its religious educational institutions and divinity schools.

• Useful 2
On 4/17/2020 at 3:36 PM, Ucross said:

Hmm. Here in LA it has no reputation whatsover. Never heard of it before this show and it apparently is a religious college, so odd that Jazz was sold on it. The town of Pomona is well-known for its religious educational institutions and divinity schools.

It most certainly is not considered a 'religious' college. It may have been connected to the Claremont College system, which share various Christian beliefs but it's not a 'religious' college, and although you may not have heard of it before this show, Pomona College is one of the most academically rigorous and difficult colleges to get into in the entire country.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3