Type keyword(s) to search

Extra! Extra! Ordinary Joe in the Media

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

James Wolk To Headline NBC’s ‘Ordinary Joe’ Drama Pilot From Russel Friend, Garrett Lerner & Matt Reeves

James Wolk (Watchmen) has been tapped as the lead in the NBC drama pilot Ordinary Joe, from House alums Russel Friend and Garrett Lerner, The Batman writer/director Matt Reeves, his 6th & Idaho banner and 20th Century Fox TV.

Written by Friend and Lerner, Ordinary Joe explores the three parallel lives of the show’s main character Joe Kimbrough (Wolk) after he makes a pivotal choice at a crossroads in his life. The series asks the question of how different life might look if you made your decision based on love, loyalty or passion. The choices he makes upon graduation from college change the trajectory of his life and the results of his decisions are seen in parallel time.

(edited)

Series premiere is Monday, September 20th at 10:00 p.m. EDT/PDT (after the season premiere of The Voice). (source: nbcumv.com press release)

Official Trailer

Promotional Summary (from the show's nbcumv.com micro-site):

Life is all about the choices you make – and sometimes what you do in a single moment can change everything. This new heartfelt, life-affirming drama follows Joe Kimbreau, who faces one of these decisions at his college graduation. The three parallel stories that diverge from that night find Joe and the people around him with different careers, relationships and family lives, showing the unexpected ways that things change – and stay the same. But when it comes down to it, there is no “right” choice; no matter what happens, Joe’s life is always messy, exciting, tough, unpredictable … and beautiful. 

The cast includes James Wolk, Natalie Martinez, Elizabeth Lail and Charlie Barnett. 

Russel Friend and Garrett Lerner will write and executive produce along with executive producers Matt Reeves, Adam Kassan, Rafi Crohn, Howard Klein. Adam Davidson will direct and executive produce the pilot episode.  

“Ordinary Joe” is produced by 20th Television, Universal Television, a division of Universal Studio Group, 6th & Idaho, 3 Arts.  

Hashtag: #OrdinaryJoe

NUP_194141_0001.thumb.jpg.dc1aba250decadaf44d20e83a6d7ddff.jpg

Edited by Just Here
formatting

When I first saw the commercial for this I thought it was going to show a different outcome each episode - dozens of different outcomes based on dozens of different choices.  I thought that would be cool.  Like - this week, should I take Job A or Job B? and than explore the differences that choice made in his life.  Next week, a different crossroad.  Like Quantum Leap, sort of.

Not sure how long this format will stay interesting, but I'll give it a try.

• Love 1

I probably would've watched at least a couple episodes of Season 2 had there been one just to see but overall not that disappointed.  The characters weren't likeable at all and so many things just didn't make sense.  I'm not sure how much further they could have gone or if they knew where they wanted to go.  James Wolk always seems to get work so I'm sure he'll turn up on something soon but after this and that one with the animals (was it the Zoo?)  I probably won't watch unless I'm really really desperate :-)

• Love 2

We just have to wait another 5-10 years for an alternate timeline show.

We had Awake, then Ordinary Joe... hopefully the next one isn't worse. It does seem like they are destined to only have one season, though.

• Love 1

Only just finding out about this.  I have to say that I probably wouldn't have resumed watching it--keeping track of the same characters in  different timelines made it exhausting.  Maybe it it were about 3 college roommates whose lives took these different paths with different people but still intersecting as old friends.  I know that would be like a conventional TV drama, but that's OK with me.

I will post this here. I just came across a silly movie form many years ago and "Joe" is in it. Sorry, don't know the actor's name. Nothing much, just a romantic comedy full of cliches that you can watch while almost falling asleep. The rest of the cast is good though. In case you like him.

Movie is "You Again"