Type keyword(s) to search

Season 4: Speculation, News & Casting Spoilers

dubbel zout
  • Start Topic

Just got an email from Masterpiece stating that Victoria is in hiatus and they said that there is no information on when it will be coming back. The email then directed me to watch Sanditon. Guessing that people have been asking about Victoria, so Masterpiece felt the need to send the email. My personal opinion is that this may not be a good indication that the show is ever coming back (seems like a just ploy to keep options open). If they haven’t even thought about filming yet, the show at the ealiest won’t be back until the middle of 2021, if ever. ☹️

I don't think it's coming back. I'm not overly surprised, I don't think I'm alone in feeling like Season 3 was a serious disappointment in terms of quality. Terrible fictional sub plots, no Ernst and constant bickering between Albert and Victoria. It's a shame they left us on a cliff-hanger but I think if they were going to do another season they would have started filming by now. 

What's odd is that PBS reran Season 3 over the past few weeks in blocks, which is what they had done the previous year just before the new season debuted, so I fully expected a  new season to follow again this year. 

• Love 4

If enough people have been asking about it that PBS had to send out an email, that's enough reason to have a Season 4.  On the other hand, when you have one person as the primary writer and showrunner, it's not unexpected to have some burn-out, even if you have actual history as your guide. 

• Love 3

Sadly, I just read that this series will not continue. I really enjoyed watching this great show. The cast was superb and the acting was great. I wish they would reconsider their decision to not continue with it. We need more great shows of historical figures like this on PBS. 

• Useful 1
10 hours ago, floridamom said:

Sadly, I just read that this series will not continue. I really enjoyed watching this great show. The cast was superb and the acting was great. I wish they would reconsider their decision to not continue with it. We need more great shows of historical figures like this on PBS. 

That's disappointing. Even though I didn't like the last season I've always wanted to watch a show that did Victoria's entire reign. I also hoped it would springboard to other historical figures that so much happened during their reign or life. 

• Love 1

Well, it hasn't been officially canceled, officially they are calling it on hiatus:

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/arts-and-culture/a26518700/victoria-season-4/

However, reading between the lines it seems to be done.  The woman who was writing the series seems to have stalled out on writing series 4 and I am sure Covid hasn't helped things.

But after Sanditon  was totally unexpectedly un-canceled and revived I guess it's theoretically possible they might surprise us with continuing Victoria  eventually. Though I am not getting my hopes up.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Echoing the disappointment. I loved this show, the casting (Rufus Sewell's Lord M and David Oakes' Ernest), the plotlines, costuming, all of it. 

Speaking of David O, I didn't realize he and Natalie Dormer have been an item for years and just had a baby. Funny to think of Uncle Ernest/George, Duke of Clarence having a baby with Anne Boleyn.

Back to topic - I'm hoping against hope that perhaps in another year, when (fingers crossed!) things are better, they reconsider and resurrect this show.

• Love 6