Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Courageous AF

Roxy takes her first steps in speaking out against Nick, but quickly realizes the hardships that come with going public, especially when her rival attempts to discredit her story. Julia, frustrated with the lack of knowledge about her family history, meets up with her mom's cousin who explains a whole other side to her mom she never knew. Worried she might get cold feet later down the line, Amanda challenges Edie to explore her sexuality. Meanwhile, Leon tries to convince Edie to work a pro-bono case for her half-brother in the all-new "Courageous AF" episode of ALMOST FAMILY airing Wednesday, Jan. 8 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (AFM-111) (TV-14 D, L, S)

I haven't been as critical of this show as many on this board.  That said, I've mostly just been riding along with this show because I like Brittany Snow and Emily Osment. I actually liked this episode and found all three sisters their most likable in many episodes. 

• Love 6

I've been somewhat critical of the sisters.. Mainly Edie and Julia... And I still had issues with them this week.. But I've been enjoying the show.. And I did again this week... I'm interested in Edie taking on her brother's case... I still think Julia seems rather cavalier about how bringing up these aspects of her mother's life is affecting her dad... And maybe she ( and the audience)  isn't supposed to really care... But it does seem like  its something the character would at least have a think about... 

• Love 1

I'm surprised that I'm still watching this show. I find Roxy and Edie both unlikable. With Roxy, I think it must be the actress, because there is material there to make her somewhat sympathetic. Another actress might be able to pull off the tough/vulnerable chick and be likable.

As for Edie, her storyline just bugs me, particularly this week's plot line with being a "new lesbian" whose partner encourages her to take a few other women out for a test drive. That exact plotline was already done on The Bold Type. She was extra cringeworthy this week.

I've always thought Tim and Julia were going to end up back together -- not because there's any chemistry between them (there's not) but because there was no other reason to make him her ex. Julia is a fool for letting Donovan's bratty daughter ruin their relationship. Not many men would put up with all her drama.

• Love 2

Lifelong lesbian. I have heard the "Gold Star" term, but not "Goldfish." I don't like Amanda OR Edie. The other lesbians were fine, though. I thought they seemed more real than any of the other characters on the show, all of whom come off super-stylized. It's a bit of a trope that lesbians have sports leagues, but I was okay with it. They seemed like real humans.

It's problematic that I was more interested in the kickball team characters than any of the actual show regulars, though.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

It's problematic that I was more interested in the kickball team characters than any of the actual show regulars, though.

Well, a show centered around a lesbian kickball team would probably be more interesting than this show.

19 hours ago, Jillybean said:

I've always thought Tim and Julia were going to end up back together -- not because there's any chemistry between them (there's not) but because there was no other reason to make him her ex. Julia is a fool for letting Donovan's bratty daughter ruin their relationship. Not many men would put up with all her drama.

Yes, this episode pretty much confirmed Tim and Julia endgame after she broke up with Donovan for no real reason. Why does she care so much that his daughter doesn’t like her? Julia trying to “relate” to the daughter over both of them losing their mom was one of the most cringe things on TV and made me embarrassed for the actress.

On 1/10/2020 at 8:47 AM, gsnrocks92 said:

Well, a show centered around a lesbian kickball team would probably be more interesting than this show.

Yes, this episode pretty much confirmed Tim and Julia endgame after she broke up with Donovan for no real reason. Why does she care so much that his daughter doesn’t like her? Julia trying to “relate” to the daughter over both of them losing their mom was one of the most cringe things on TV and made me embarrassed for the actress.

I actually thought her breaking up with Donovan made sense. Dating someone whose kids are going to constantly try to undermine the relationship would be very difficult for both of them. And if Donovan's kids are still struggling with the mom's death so much, maybe he needs to spend more time trying to help them deal with it.

• Love 1
On 1/12/2020 at 7:59 PM, KaveDweller said:

I actually thought her breaking up with Donovan made sense. Dating someone whose kids are going to constantly try to undermine the relationship would be very difficult for both of them. And if Donovan's kids are still struggling with the mom's death so much, maybe he needs to spend more time trying to help them deal with it.

That is understandable, my dad died pretty young and I really don’t care much for my moms boyfriend she started dating afterwards, but I also want her to be happy and he’s not a horrible person, I just don’t have anything in common with him. I guess it’s a difference between me being 26 and the daughter here being 16 though.