Type keyword(s) to search

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

• Start Topic

Ok, well I watched Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones.  Mostly bearable except for the Padme/Anakin romance.  (Seriously, I knew people said it was bad, but it really is bad. 😬)  Then I decided to jump into Clone Wars (following the chronological order linked on the last page).   Is it weird that within ten minutes I already like animated!Anakin worlds more than live action!Anakin?  Or is that normal? 😂 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

I’m primarily interested in getting to Clone Wars/Rebels, but I understand that I need to watch the first two prequels before Clone Wars.  Soooooo.....here we go! 😳😂

Oh, I'm interested to hear about this.  Once The Expanse S5 is over, I am considering watching the SW stuff in chronological order.

Mostly bearable except for the Padme/Anakin romance.

There are reports out there that Lucas originally just wanted Padme to be hot for Anakin, not actually in love.  I haven't read up on it in a while, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm mis-remembering.

• Love 1

I’m up through “Supply Lines” in the chronological episode order that @Dani linked on the last page (thank you again!).  I’m enjoying it so far.  As I mentioned before, this Anakin is far more tolerable than the Hayden Christensen version.  Ahsoka has only appeared in the Clone Wars movie, and I was prepared to find her annoying, but so far I don’t mind her...we’ll see if that changes.  My only complaint so far is the overly affected accent that the voice actor for Obi Wan Kenobi is using.  It’s making it hard for me to take the character seriously, but hopefully I’ll get used to it.  

It’s still jarring to see the Republic using what I’m used to thinking of as Imperial starships.  It’s just this instinctive “oh no!” reaction when they show up and then I remember “oh wait....” 😂

• Love 1

I’m partway through “Ambush”, and I just have to say this is making so much more sense than the last time I tried to watch it.  A few years ago, when Clone Wars was on Netflix, I tried to start watching, but I hadn’t seen any of the prequels at that point, or even the Clone Wars movie.  I was so totally lost!!!  At that point, I think I still had a vague idea that the clones were the enemy, and I couldn’t figure out why Yoda was running around with these Stormtrooper-looking guys. 😂🤦🏻‍♀️  It’s amazing what a little context will do. 😄

Edited by Starfish35
11 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

It’s still jarring to see the Republic using what I’m used to thinking of as Imperial starships.  It’s just this instinctive “oh no!” reaction when they show up and then I remember “oh wait....” 😂

Same. It wasn’t until I watched Clone Wars that I really got that the Empire started as the Republic. I had always aligned the Empire with the Separatists in my mind and the clones as traitors to the Republic.

On 1/10/2021 at 6:24 AM, Starfish35 said:

Is it weird that within ten minutes I already like animated!Anakin worlds more than live action!Anakin?  Or is that normal?

You are normal. I don't want to spoil, but there's a certain aspect to the series that makes the payoff in ROTS much much better re: Dooku. 

• Love 1

Okay, quick question for any Clone Wars fans.  I just finished “Dooku Captured” and am starting “The Gungan General”, but the ending of the episode and the beginning of this one don’t line up.  🤔 (Basically at the end of “Dooku Captured”, Anakin and Obi-Wan realized their drinks were drugged and switched drinks with the people next to them. In this one, they wake up in Dooku’s cell and Obi-Wan says their drinks must have been drugged.)  Will that be explained, or is that something I’ll just need to handwave?

ETA:  ok, apparently handwave it is.  That was strange. 😒

Edited by Starfish35
38 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Okay, quick question for any Clone Wars fans.  I just finished “Dooku Captured” and am starting “The Gungan General”, but the ending of the episode and the beginning of this one don’t line up.  🤔 (Basically at the end of “Dooku Captured”, Anakin and Obi-Wan realized their drinks were drugged and switched drinks with the people next to them. In this one, they wake up in Dooku’s cell and Obi-Wan says their drinks must have been drugged.)  Will that be explained, or is that something I’ll just need to handwave?

ETA:  ok, apparently handwave it is.  That was strange. 😒

I had them same question and found the answer on Wookiepedia. Orginally there was a companion webcomic series that added more details to the show. One of them explained how they were drugged.  Hondo’s pet drugs them after multiple failed attempts. 

Mukmuk played an instrumental role in capturing the two Jedi. After several failed attempts to drug their drinks and food, Mukmuk attempted to drop a chandelier down on the Jedi. This attempt was thwarted by Skywalker, who Force pushed the fixture clear of them. Frustrated, Mukmuk then just deposited the drug into the ventilation system which succeeded in rendering Kenobi and Skywalker unconscious.

So I’m through the Ryloth three-parter, and I’m officially in love with this show.  🥰  And it’s really cool to see things come up that I was first introduced to in The Mandalorian, such as the blurrgs that the Twi-lek freedom fighters ride.  It’s like “oh hey I know what those are!” 

4EB31AC8-C995-4BDF-BB87-2D11FCD13218.jpeg

I’ve gotten used to Obi-Wan’s accent now, and he’s pretty awesome in action.  And I love the clones (and I know enough of what’s coming to know this is going to break my heart 😭). 

(Also, I’m sorry, but the droids crack me up. “Roger Roger.” 😂🤣)

Edited by Starfish35

So let me start out with a disclaimer.  I post on a site dedicated to television and I no longer have a show I care about.  Not really.  I miss rival factions of fandom, behind the scenes shenanigans and gossip, and generally bitching about showrunners ad nauseum.

So when this firing of Gina Carano thing happened and despite liking the Mandalorian just fine but not really being that into it, I went down some kind of youtube rabbit hole in some kind of fit of nostalgia.  For what? I don't know.  Its either Star Wars (first three movies and some of the EU books).. or more likely observing the fans that still care about a show enough to not be able to let it go.  Been there,  Done that.  Kind of miss it.

So anyway.  Youtube has been reinforcing that impulse by suggesting videos and now I'm way more familiar with the main youtube Star Wars fans than I should be.  And I've learned what it is to ratio a video because that seems to be the Star Wars online fandoms' mission in life post GC firing. 

But something happened recently.  Fandom found out details about the Star Wars New Republic (books or comic books?) and has had a gigantic meltdown.  Over a vessel named "The vessel" and a navigator who is a rock.  And its kind of the funniest thing I've seen in a while.

I think Lucas Film is trolling the fandom.  It seems kind of insane to troll the fandom of a franchise that cost you billions, and not stopping short of publishing books. But they are even flashing the Vulcan salute in promotional material.  And its just so stupid.  What else can it be?  

So if there is really a war within Lucas Film, I hope the Favreau / Filoni / Mandalorian contingent win.  Also,  maybe E! can do a True Hollywood Story?  Because WTF.

• Like 1
On 1/10/2021 at 8:24 AM, Starfish35 said:

Ok, well I watched Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones.  Mostly bearable except for the Padme/Anakin romance.  (Seriously, I knew people said it was bad, but it really is bad. 😬)  Then I decided to jump into Clone Wars (following the chronological order linked on the last page).   Is it weird that within ten minutes I already like animated!Anakin worlds more than live action!Anakin?  Or is that normal? 😂 

Clone Wars made Anakin both likable and heroic, while not shying away from some of his questionable personality traits.  This was the Anakin we should have gotten in AOTC and ROTS.  

20 hours ago, benteen said:

Clone Wars made Anakin both likable and heroic, while not shying away from some of his questionable personality traits.  This was the Anakin we should have gotten in AOTC and ROTS.  

I'd probably still hate Anakin if it wasn't for The Clone Wars. They really made me care about Anakin and his turn to the dark side

• Love 1

I started watching Clone Wars in the Disney order and then remembered there was the chronological order so I started over.  It made all the difference because I was literally starting in the middle with the Disney view order. 

I like everyone so it's hard knowing what's coming for Anakin and that Obi-Wan will spend decades as a hermit.   Wahhhh.

I like the clones too though their treatment by the Jedi is suspect, to say the least.  I like how Filoni doesn't shy away from how callously the clones are treated.  The Jedi are also coming off kind of clueless.  I mean, just watching them (doesn't the Chancellor LOOK evil - come on, guys!) running around with no idea of what's growing in their midst.  I get that was the point but they really aren't on the ball. 

I like young Ahsoka; yes, she's hasty to jump in but she has a good heart, which goes a long way with me.  

Also, the dumb robots are entertaining.  Roger Roger.

About 20 eps or so in.  Some of it is repetitive but overall it's enjoyable.

Where does the Bad Batch fall in the Clone Wars timeline?  I liked their Clone Wars ep, assuming it is the same group of clones, except for the ones who died?

1 hour ago, raven said:

Where does the Bad Batch fall in the Clone Wars timeline?  

Bad Batch starts in the final episode of Clone Wars with Order 66. 

2 hours ago, raven said:

I liked their Clone Wars ep, assuming it is the same group of clones, except for the ones who died?

I think you might be referring to Domino Squad. The Bad Batch is a different group that first appears in the final season of Clone Wars. 

11 hours ago, Dani said:

I think you might be referring to Domino Squad. The Bad Batch is a different group that first appears in the final season of Clone Wars. 

Yes, Domino Squad.  I'm a sucker for misfit stories so I liked them.  

I recognize that many fans of the films and live action series seem to be averse to watching the SW animated series. Those of us who have watched them know how excellent the story telling and character development is and how knowledge gained from watching the animated series enhances the experience of watching The Mandalorian and should continue to do so for Obi-Wan Kenobi, Ahsoka and the other live action series.

That said, I can see that it might seem daunting to begin a watch of seven seasons of The Clone Wars, four seasons of Rebels and a season of The Bad Batch. (Soon to be two.) I've discovered what may be a compromise solution. Disney+ has recently added a small curated viewing list under the heading "Mandalore Culture Episodes." From the main Disney+ homepage, click on the Star Wars hub, then scroll down and you'll find the curated collection. It's not an exhaustive list; there are other episodes that are relevant yet not part of this collection, but this is a good primer.

I suspect that some who watch this handful of episodes may just catch the animated series bug as many of us have. 😉

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

Yeah, if he's someone prone to going dark because of not being on the Council, then he's not a good candidate for the Council. I wouldn't even say that Anakin just turned because he was terrified of losing Padme. Lots of people suffer loss without going on a murder spree. That was the final trigger and a weak spot that made him easy to manipulate, but it wouldn't have worked if he hadn't had other flaws. I think the main problem was that they refused to see his issues and their rules meant he couldn't talk about his fears and concerns with anyone other than the person who was manipulating him. Obi-Wan brought up his arrogance to Yoda, who brushed off his concerns. There was also the problem of assigning a traumatized prodigy they knew might have some issues to someone who was essentially a student teacher, right out of his own training, without any real backup.

Given that Luke had, at most, a month or so of training (depending on how long it took the Falcon to make it to Bespin without a hyperdrive) that started in his 20s after he grew up with a fairly normal childhood with an aunt and uncle who functioned as parents to him and he not only resisted all Vader's efforts to turn him to the dark side but actually managed to turn Vader, I'd think the Jedi mode of training needs some serious questioning, and Luke of all people shouldn't have tried to perpetuate that model. It helps with Grogu that he has a long lifespan, but maybe his model of some early training to learn to manage his powers, then getting to spend his childhood with a father figure in a way that allows him to form healthy attachments and get that kind of guidance growing up, and then possibly returning to Jedi training later when he's old enough to make that decision with more knowledge, maturity and experience could be a better plan. Have a Force Kindergarten for kids identified as having talent so they learn about it and get some control while still having a healthy family life, then do more intensive training later. Ripping kids away from their families and allowing them no attachments while they're trained as warriors is a recipe for psychological problems.

I completely agree. One of the best things about Clone Wars is how they show how Anakin gets to that point and why the Jedi Order fell. I feel like this show is continuing that and blurring the lines between heroes and villains in a really interesting way. 

1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I'm just generally skeptical that inherently powerful people like Anakin or (we're assuming) Grogu would just have their abilities fade away without training.

Maybe it is but the Jedi philosophy is that force sensitive people aren’t inherently powerful but they have the potential to be powerful with training. Sure Anakin would probably have always had his exceptional skills but that is a far cry from being able to deliberately use the force. It’s more of a stretch with Grogu since he was trained but I think that was more wishful thinking. 

1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

She's my favorite character ever, but even her 'either/or' logical basis is flawed, and without too much effort, there's been credible alternatives suggested here. 

My impression was the Ahsoka said no because she knew that she shouldn’t be the one to train because of her own baggage due to Anakin. That she couldn’t deal with the possibility that she could have a hand to creating the next Darth Vader and that her own fear would be a hinderance. So for her it was either/or and she came up with a credible alternative. 

1 hour ago, Dani said:

Maybe it is but the Jedi philosophy is that force sensitive people aren’t inherently powerful but they have the potential to be powerful with training. Sure Anakin would probably have always had his exceptional skills but that is a far cry from being able to deliberately use the force. It’s more of a stretch with Grogu since he was trained but I think that was more wishful thinking. 

When Qui-Gon and Kenobi did their CSI Midichlorian testing, they were blown away by Anakin's M count. Also, he was conceived entirely by the force. The fundamental core of the discussion was that not sticking slavishly to the rules and considering some other options might have been prudent. We keep seeing it over and over. Can't get married; not being promoted to Master, etc. 

1 hour ago, Dani said:

My impression was the Ahsoka said no because she knew that she shouldn’t be the one to train because of her own baggage due to Anakin. That she couldn’t deal with the possibility that she could have a hand to creating the next Darth Vader and that her own fear would be a hinderance. So for her it was either/or and she came up with a credible alternative. 

I don't think she was mentally in a position to train him either. She correctly pointed out that sending him off to be trained wasn't the best course of action; severing him from Mando. She's again only considering no training/severed training. The overall discussion we were having was they could probably do both. Of course, at the time, there's only her and Luke; except for the 14 thousand jedi that did escape Order 66. I was just saying she might have thought, 'you shouldn't be separated, but I'd see if you could find someone who is capable of teaching him better and drag them along with you.' 

2 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

When Qui-Gon and Kenobi did their CSI Midichlorian testing, they were blown away by Anakin's M count. Also, he was conceived entirely by the force.

Yes, I know. I’ve seen the movie. I just disagree that it means his powers would have developed without outside interference. 

I’m not saying I agree with the actions of the Jedi in any way. For an organization that was all about the will of the force they had no problem ignoring that Anakin being found would have been the will of the force. They were responsible for their own downfall and ultimately created the very thing they were trying to avoid. 

She's again only considering no training/severed training.

I see it differently. I thought she was only looking at from a standpoint of if she was going to train him or not. For her that was a yes or no decision. 

I was just saying she might have thought, 'you shouldn't be separated, but I'd see if you could find someone who is capable of teaching him better and drag them along with you.'

Ultimately she did better than that because she suggested an option that put it in Grogu’s and the potential teachers hand. She left it up to the force which is more than the Jedi council did with Anakin.

Ultimately I’m not sure that any of the Jedi (other than Kanan and Ezra) would be capable of seeing another option. It’s one of the frustrating things about Star Wars. Their destiny is already written. They are going to follow their flawed logic into destruction because they have to.