Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Scarecrow

• Start Topic

Oh great, ANOTHER story where a member of the Robinson family gets stuck and needs to get rescued.  That's two already (three if you count the whole escape from the water planet storyline).  Seriously, what is the writers love affair with these storylines?

I really want to like this show.  Its premise is a fun one and the production values are great.  But the writers insist on wasting entire episodes on rescuing the Robinson's when they get stuck in something (ice, water, caves).  They land on alien worlds but they turn out to have the most boring threats imaginable.  The original series was ridiculous but I would greatly prefer the alien of the week storyline to what we are getting.

And again, somebody get rid of the Dr. Smith character.  The amount of free passes she gets by everyone is ridiculous.

• Love 4

This really doesn't make any sense. Two officials came to arrest Smith/Harris, and then only one of them ended up paralyzed by the alien seaweed. Where's the other guy that came to arrest her, and won't he know why she was arrested and that she shouldn't be walking around loose? 

Also, what difference does it make if she's made herself a fake ID and wiped the security tapes? The Robinsons still know who she really is, they can tell everyone aboard the Resolute. For that matter, there has to be SOMEONE on that ship who knew the real Dr. Smith and will know that's not him. In fact the real Dr. Smith is in a cryochamber somewhere so he's not even dead!

I actually enjoy Parker Posey's performance here, but the show is way too involved in making this character work past its sell-by date. What they're trying to pull off here isn't really viable.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

This really doesn't make any sense. Two officials came to arrest Smith/Harris, and then only one of them ended up paralyzed by the alien seaweed. Where's the other guy that came to arrest her, and won't he know why she was arrested and that she shouldn't be walking around loose? 

Also, what difference does it make if she's made herself a fake ID and wiped the security tapes? The Robinsons still know who she really is, they can tell everyone aboard the Resolute. For that matter, there has to be SOMEONE on that ship who knew the real Dr. Smith and will know that's not him. In fact the real Dr. Smith is in a cryochamber somewhere so he's not even dead!

I actually enjoy Parker Posey's performance here, but the show is way too involved in making this character work past its sell-by date. What they're trying to pull off here isn't really viable.

Exactly. Erasing the evidence and incapacitating one person should not mean that no one has a clue. Maybe if the fake identity was the only issue but what about the kidnapping, robot hijacking and sabotage. Penny alone is witness to more than enough to get her locked up until Don and her parents confirm her story. Add in Angela’s story about Dr. Smith giving her the gun and it wouldn’t even matter if she’s Smith or not. But, nope. One guy mysteriously falls ill while interrogating her and it’s case closed. 

If the writers have to make all the other characters stupid to explain a villain’s actions they are a bad character. 

I feel like it's a bad strategy to plan interstellar travel around a robot prisoner and technology you don't understand.

I was glad to see some familiar faces on the planet.

On 12/27/2019 at 9:22 AM, benteen said:

They land on alien worlds but they turn out to have the most boring threats imaginable.

I think some of them are interesting.  It is a bit of twist for the space travelers to be dealing with man vs. nature more than man vs. alien.  I like Star Trek, and it tends to do this as well.  For every hostile alien they encounter there is a pollen spore that changes emotions, or complex water molecules that make people drunk, or unstable planetary geology.

• Love 4

I know that Doctor Smith kind of has to stick around, being one of the most ironic characters in the original series, and I do often enjoy her bullshit, but this is really starting to get ridiculous. How does she just keep getting away all of the time?! The Robinson's know that she cant be trusted, people keep catching her in her lies and her various crimes, she needs to just be either dealt with, or we need an explanation as to why this amoral chaotic lunatic who is constantly making everything worse for everyone is allowed to wander free! 

The robots looks really cool, and I am excited to see more of them. I kind of wish we could run into some aliens other than the robots at some point, or even more of the alien animal life we saw on the planet they got stuck on in season one, but its presumably coming soon. 

• Love 3
On 1/4/2020 at 6:56 PM, tennisgurl said:

I know that Doctor Smith kind of has to stick around, being one of the most ironic characters in the original series, and I do often enjoy her bullshit, but this is really starting to get ridiculous. How does she just keep getting away all of the time?! The Robinson's know that she cant be trusted, people keep catching her in her lies and her various crimes, she needs to just be either dealt with, or we need an explanation as to why this amoral chaotic lunatic who is constantly making everything worse for everyone is allowed to wander free! 

The robots looks really cool, and I am excited to see more of them. I kind of wish we could run into some aliens other than the robots at some point, or even more of the alien animal life we saw on the planet they got stuck on in season one, but its presumably coming soon. 

It's completely unrealistic.  But for me.  And I may be the only one at this point  (Mind you I have been binging for 1 week so I haven't had to live with this character that long) - It's fun to see her try to get out of her latest screw up.

When Radic picked up the kelp from the book -  I just started laughing.  And she found another way out.

Edited by Macbeth
  • Love 1
On 12/31/2019 at 9:27 PM, MisterGlass said:

I feel like it's a bad strategy to plan interstellar travel around a robot prisoner and technology you don't understand.

LOL. Thank you for that laugh. I kept waiting for more of an explanation as to why they put the lives of all those people in this position, and there wasn't one. Was there any reference to Earth being on a deadline to destruction, so they had to rush? I FF through a lot of these eps, even while enjoying the non Dr. Smith and non "teen love" stuff, so maybe I missed it.

On 1/4/2020 at 4:56 PM, tennisgurl said:

I know that Doctor Smith kind of has to stick around, being one of the most ironic characters in the original series, and I do often enjoy her bullshit, but this is really starting to get ridiculous.

Agree. The sad part is the show indicated a few *possible* thoughts that were interesting, like Dr. Smith is allowed to exist because she does help and make a difference for some people and humanity overall, but they haven't really established that. Her interests are about her, and sometimes they coincide with others, but she needs more of a mission from someone that explains how she keeps escaping consequences.

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 1