Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Lost Love

• Start Topic

Bette prepares for an important mayoral debate. Alice lands a huge guest and encourages Nat to branch out. Shane visits a bar and gets embroiled in the lives of two of its employees. Dani and Sophie's families clash, Micah is unsure of where he stands with his crush, and a budding relationship forces Finley to confront some complicated aspects of her past.

Original airdate: 12/22/19

I'm really enjoying the show as a whole but the only character I'm loving right now is Dani. Sophie annoys the shit out of me with how whiny she is. Can't she muster up some understanding for the difficult position Dani is in? And with how she was defending one night stands and sleeping with someone to feel better, I'm bracing myself for the worst.

I started liking Finley a bit more but to be honest, I'm more interested in her minister friend.

The gay neighbour's acting makes me cringe.

Mercedes Mason finally playing gay! Too bad we couldn't get it on Fear the walking dead 😉 The moaning was a bit too fake though. You can tell who the real lesbians are in the sex scenes.

Alice is like the same ol' Alice. Her storyline is interesting and fun and cute as always. Bette and Shane...while there are shades of who they are, I feel like something's missing.

36 minutes ago, CloudySky said:

Bette and Shane...while there are shades of who they are, I feel like something's missing.

Definitely. Where they are concerned, it feels like they are new characters on a new show. On the old version, we had time to really know them but this show is acting like they are established characters (which they are for old viewers) but without a really firm backstory. I think we're slowly getting it with Bette, less so with Shane. I think they're trying to make her story more of a mystery to make it seem intriguing when it's really just annoying. Interesting twist having Tina leave Bette again. I thought it was Bette's turn. LOL. But seriously, I loved them together the last 2 seasons so i'll always be heartbroken they aren't together. 

I can't get behind any of the newbs, I just don't find them interesting or likeable enough. It seems like Dani is the most flushed out. She's like the new Bette. I still don't really feel invested in her or anyone else. I honestly can't even remember their names most of the time. It's like the show hasn't found it's heart yet.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, CloudySky said:

I'm really enjoying the show as a whole but the only character I'm loving right now is Dani. Sophie annoys the shit out of me with how whiny she is. Can't she muster up some understanding for the difficult position Dani is in? And with how she was defending one night stands and sleeping with someone to feel better, I'm bracing myself for the worst.

I tried to give Sophie a chance, but she irritates me.  I think she's very selfish and does not consider Dani's feelings very much, if at all.  Sophie's feelings are always more important to Sophie.  She doesn't seem to care about Dani's life outside Sophie, either.

Aw, sad and depressed Shane is a bummer.  Maybe her new bar project will lift her spirits...eventually.  Not with the bartender, though!! No!  I wish we knew more about Shane, like who is her ex and why are they divorcing, and how did Shane earn her wealth?

Alice and Nat are growing on me.  I wasn't a huge Alice fan the first time around, but I like her for continuity here. 

Finley strikes me as the new Alice sometimes - goofy and always getting in her own way, but authentic.  I felt bad for her love interest, the minister.   Interesting that they brought religion into this show.  Religion...is a difficult issue...as it relates to homosexuality.   I'll be interested to see what they do with that.

• Love 1

I wish Bette and Angie's conversation would have touched a bit on colorism.  There are things Angie can't get away that most of her classmates can, but that's also true of Angie versus someone with Bette's coloring and features.  Maybe I'm expecting too much from The L Word, heh.

The Megan Rapinoe Alice interview felt like a real talk show interview.  Good job, show.

On 12/26/2019 at 7:12 PM, junemeatcleaver said:

I wish Bette and Angie's conversation would have touched a bit on colorism.  There are things Angie can't get away that most of her classmates can, but that's also true of Angie versus someone with Bette's coloring and features. 

I think for a parenting talk with a kid of Angie's age, it's probably better to stay focused. Colorism is a huge and complicated topic best covered in a separate conversation, especially since, as you say, Bette and Angie fall on different ends of the spectrum, so there are additional layers to unpack there that wouldn't exist for a mother and child of similar coloring and features. They should certainly talk about it, but I get why Bette didn't bring it up here.

• Love 1

One thing that made no sense was how adamant Bette was about sending Angie to a private school. I don't live in LA and even I know that LACES is a very good school. I'm glad that Bette finally listened to her daughter because she clearly wasn't happy at whatever private school she was at before.

Bette said that Angie is a National Merit Scholar which means Angie must be a senior. It sucks to transfer during your senior year, but at least she won't be at a school where people are openly hostile to her (well, hopefully).

I'm so much more interested in Bette as Angie's mom and as Shane and Alice's friend. Her campaign, on the other hand, is much less interesting to me. The only time her campaign stuff really interested me was when she talked with those kids about her experience.

Oh, Shane. You just got reminded not to shit where you eat but you hooked up with the bartender anyway!

Dani and Sophie really need to sit down and talk about a lot of stuff. I was worried about them from the second that Sophie got mad about Sophie getting another job. That was a huge red flag for me. It would be one thing if Sophie had accepted a job on the other side of the country or if she took a huge pay cut, but her new job is still in LA (and no one mentioned anything about money being tight because of her new job so I'm going to assume that they're doing okay financially). And knowing how Dani's dad felt about Sophie and their relationship, you'd think that Sophie would have been happy that Dani got away from her dad when she got a new job.

Wedding planning can be really stressful and it can cause fights so this is another situation where people need to communicate and establish what they want. I totally get Sophie not wanting to be uncomfortable at her own wedding, but it was obvious that Dani didn't know her dad had put down a deposit and picked a day so there was no need to get mad at Dani about her dad's underhandedness. Dani was just as blindsided by that information as Sophie was. It's not like Dani knew and hid it from Sophie.

7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I totally get Sophie not wanting to be uncomfortable at her own wedding, but it was obvious that Dani didn't know her dad had put down a deposit and picked a day so there was no need to get mad at Dani about her dad's underhandedness. Dani was just as blindsided by that information as Sophie was. It's not like Dani knew and hid it from Sophie.

No, Dani didn't know, but she went along with all the decisions her father made about the date and location of the wedding.  She has to decide whose opinion is more important to her - her father's or her future wife's.

• Love 1
On 1/11/2020 at 8:45 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I'm so much more interested in Bette as Angie's mom and as Shane and Alice's friend. Her campaign, on the other hand, is much less interesting to me. The only time her campaign stuff really interested me was when she talked with those kids about her experience.

I really, really, really wish they had not gone with a campaign, political story line for Bette.  I can't stand it, truly.