Type keyword(s) to search

Legends Of The Hidden Temple - General Discussion

• Start Topic

This is a little old (as in, before the talk of the adult re-launch), but still worth a watch.

The YouTube channel DefunctLand, which mainly focuses on closed and/or abandoned theme park rides (or parks in general...or other related properties), also has a series called DefunctTV, which looks at semi-obscure cancelled TV shows...mainly children's shows.

The second episode is about this show.

• Love 1

Yikes, did anyone watch this? I only caught the second half when they were already down to two teams (I missed the moat crossing and the steps of knowledge), but I did not think it was very good. It was lacking a lot of the enthusiasm of the original. I think the lack of a cheering audience really took away from the excitement. But aside from that, the host seemed so...docile? I don't know. It was like her commentary was scripted and recorded in a studio after the taping, but they tried to make it sound live. And it was just so empty sounding...no urgency or energy or witty comments. If I hadn't read it here, I'd have never guessed she was a comedian. And the contestants that I saw were pretty boring as well. Since I missed the beginning, I have no idea what either team's story/relationship was, but neither team's teammates felt very connected to the other.

I did like that the sets are all outdoors, but again, no audience (I know, COVID) made it feel very isolated and flat. The temple run at the end was fun, at least. I'm glad they kept the Shrine of the Silver Monkey and I hope they'll showcase other rooms from the original (like my favorite, the Jester's Court), but I wish they had used the original music instead of whatever new Jungle Beat that was. It was great hearing original Olmec, though.

I'll keep watching, but I hope it gets better. 

I watched it but it was so bad.  My husband had never seen the show and I kept talking about it so he watched it with me and I was so embarrassed.  It was not like I had remembered it at all.  I feel so sad that they remade it and did such an awful job.  The cartoons were so weird and out of place.  The host was boring and not very in to the performance or fun of the show.  The contestants were flat while trying to pretend they were into the whole thing.  I did laugh when the first team to get eliminated were told "don't worry, you won't leave empty handed, you've won...your shirt."  I died.  Only funny part of the show.  Olmec's Temple final run was still fun and still made me wish I could do it.  I hope they can fix this mess and come back better but I doubt it'll get the chance for a 2nd season.

K...I thought the second episode was better than the first. The teams seemed a lot more into it, especially the team that went to the Temple. Still felt flat without an audience. Cristela still just seems...there. She's got no energy in her voice and isn't bringing anything to add any excitement or pump up the contestants.

I had the thought earlier that if the sets are gonna be outside, they should film at night to give a better visual atmosphere, maybe illuminated with flames from torches and stuff like that, so I liked that at least the Temple run was at night this time. 

Show still needs some work.

Did anyone see this past episode? They had two former contestants from the original show competing as a team and they both made it back to the temple. Then they had Kirk Fogg the original host make a cameo during the temple run (literally inside the temple). It was fun to see the old footage of the contestants...they were on two different seasons with different partners and was never made clear if they were friends or if they just were thrown together for this new show.  It was kind of cool seeing Kirk surprise each contestant during the temple run, but they both wasted a few seconds high-fiving him, and it seemed like if they hadn't done that, they'd have made it out in time.

Edited by Giuseppe

Some parts of the reboot are really corny, and it could use an audience.  And new Olmec's voice is terrible.  But I loved seeing a group that wasn't the Silver Snakes win.  When I was a kid, I only remember Silver Snakes and Red Jaguars winning.  I was a Blue Barracuda fan and I was thrilled to see them advance tonight, lol.

On 10/26/2021 at 3:17 PM, Keywestclubkid said:

I liked that it was adults now. We grew up on this why shouldn’t we get to be on the show 

IA.  Kids may watch the show, but their parents grew up on it.  So I'm not surprised that adults would be more invested in the reboot.

9 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Some parts of the reboot are really corny, and it could use an audience.  And new Olmec's voice is terrible.  But I loved seeing a group that wasn't the Silver Snakes win.  When I was a kid, I only remember Silver Snakes and Red Jaguars winning.  I was a Blue Barracuda fan and I was thrilled to see them advance tonight, lol.

IA.  Kids may watch the show, but their parents grew up on it.  So I'm not surprised that adults would be more invested in the reboot.

The voice of Olmec is the same actor as the original series, Dee Bradley Baker.

• Like 1

Not surprising...the revival just was not good. It felt stale and empty and just not exciting at all. It seemed like they were filming in someone's backyard. They really could've benefited from larger scale outdoor sets, and having a live audience (I know...probably filmed during the height of Covid) would have helped a lot. I'd have filmed at night with lots of fire effects and such. Also, the host Cristela did not feel like a good fit...way too low-key. And they should've kept the original series' music, if possible...that was iconic to the show. The generic jungle theme music they used for the reboot just underscored how blah it was.

I tried to stick with it, but I probably let the last 5 or 6 episodes stack up on my DVR, and eventually I deleted them all without watching.

• Love 1