Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E02: Hale's Kitchen

A burrito delivery brings love at first sight for Ramona, and Steve surprises DJ with a cooking class. Busy mom Steph struggles to keep her promises.

Maybe Tommy works for Postmates, as well, hence his absence?

Edited by jmonique

Finally, a new teen character that's not annoying! Ethan can finally join the short list along with Rocki as a teen who isn't grating.

I also like that plot because it gave Fernando a little more to do than just being a background comedic relief character. It also has given Kimmy a little bit more of a serious/heartwarming moment with Fernando about Ramona. 

The Steve/DJ date plot was great because I was surprised that the plot didn't lead to DJ not liking Steve's plans and trying to thwart them. And I'll admit, Steve speaking French worked well. I also enjoyed the couple that they were competing against in cooking class.

The Steph/Max plot worked well. The actor who plays Max really has grown in between seasons. I guess, because of that, he's advanced to the more mature/heartwarming plots. 

• Love 5

I realize I need to suspend reality when watching this, but how in the world were they able to pull together an entire Renaissance Faire in the backyard complete with swords, elaborate decorations and full on outfits in a few hours? Seems like it would have been more work than just going to the fair in the first place. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, FurBabyMama said:

I realize I need to suspend reality when watching this, but how in the world were they able to pull together an entire Renaissance Faire in the backyard complete with swords, elaborate decorations and full on outfits in a few hours? Seems like it would have been more work than just going to the fair in the first place. 

Yeah, the sheer costs of all these backyard dramatics definitely seem out of bound for a vet, party planner and unemployed musician who apparently lost all DJ knowledge as soon as she moved to San Fran!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, FurBabyMama said:

I will force myself to believe that party-planner Kimmy had all that shit in her basement next door 🙂

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I agree about suspending reality but man is it hard to do sometimes. The employed adults are DJ and Kimmy, with Steph doing one-off gigs. Fernando’s retired, but does he receive any endorsement money? Jimmy now has income from the sandwich shop assuming the place is a money maker which they all claimed it was.  But with all the kids to support and their activities and these extravagant and elaborate parties they have...

It definitely would have been less work to just go to the real Ren Faire. (Reminds me of Kimmy’s last minute sweet 16 in the original series. In the time that it took the family to cobble that hot mess together, two of the adults could have run out to get food and a real cake. They’re in San Francisco for pity’s sake. No shortage of late night eateries!) 

• Love 3

Max has gotten so much bigger! I guess thats what happens when you have kid characters on your show, they tend to grow and its often noticeable! 

I like Ethan, he seems like he could be a fun reoccurring character, and I always like when they give Fernando something to do other than be wacky comic relief, as good at that as he is. It was also nice to see Kimmy giving some actual good advice, and them both realizing that they cant always resort to wacky hijinks, sometimes they have to just talk to their daughter! 

The Steve and DJ plot was fun, especially the French chef suddenly changing his accent to a cowboy accent for his next class!

• Love 4

I enjoy this show for the pure cheese it is and the nostalgia from watching a throwback-style sitcom, but I also have to say I liked when Fernando got some attention for his career. You can't introduce him as an award-winning champion and then disregard it entirely. He can still be a clown who used to be famous. But not to bring up Kirk Cameron...