Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday Wars - General Discussion

Spunkygal
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, tracyscott76 said:

The judges were really trying to sell a "oh they were fighting but now they're all getting along and working together" narrative for the team that ultimately got eliminated, but I wasn't buying it.

I was worried that they were going to keep them for the drama instead of the other team that did far better work.  They didn't even mention the poor quality of the horse.  Parker was an immature PIA but the other two weren't much better.

I feel like I should know the big guy on the other team, the one who was helping the woman who shouldn't have needed all that help, but I can't place him.

• Like 1

That whole situation with the new girl micromanaging and then the mean girls pitching in seemed manufactured. The judges kept saying the 2 older women were veterans but I've never seen them in other shows. The true veteran is Aaron. I remember him from something and he is talented. Glad his team won. I didn't like the theme this week. It led to so so displays.

7 hours ago, Grizzly said:

That whole situation with the new girl micromanaging and then the mean girls pitching in seemed manufactured. The judges kept saying the 2 older women were veterans but I've never seen them in other shows. The true veteran is Aaron. I remember him from something and he is talented. Glad his team won. I didn't like the theme this week. It led to so so displays.

He was on Holiday Baking Championship last season and was top 4. He made the NYC cake and didn't know black/white cookies. I thought it was funny that he was the cookie expert here. He can bake though. 

• Like 4

I for one am Team Parker.  But that could be because every time they told us how DARK Heather is I liked that team less and less.

The blond lady on the second place team looked familiar too, like maybe from Halloween Wars. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

He was on Holiday Baking Championship last season and was top 4. He made the NYC cake and didn't know black/white cookies. I thought it was funny that he was the cookie expert here. He can bake though. 

Thank you!  I knew I knew him from somewhere!

10 hours ago, Grizzly said:

That whole situation with the new girl micromanaging and then the mean girls pitching in seemed manufactured. The judges kept saying the 2 older women were veterans but I've never seen them in other shows. 

I guess he meant veterans in the industry, not necessarily on baking shows.

There was no way that was going to end well for them.  And although they rallied at the end to put up a somewhat finished piece, the nail was already in the coffin and the new girl walked away from the other two without a glance back.  

• Like 3

Aaron is a favorite from HBC so it’s great to see him again! 

How are these teams put together — anyone know?  It often seems to me like these people don’t even know each other.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
23 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

Aaron is a favorite from HBC so it’s great to see him again! 

How are these teams put together — anyone know?  It often seems to me like these people don’t even know each other.  

I was watching Holiday Wars reruns last night. A guy on the losing team in the finale said that they might not have won, but he has two new best friends.

I think the groupings are completely random.

• Useful 2
3 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I was watching Holiday Wars reruns last night. A guy on the losing team in the finale said that they might not have won, but he has two new best friends.

I think the groupings are completely random.

Thanks, SK.  It certainly feels random.  

10 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

That is what I thought as well. 

So the one man on the team that left doesn't have a sense of taste or smell. That is interesting. 

I had a friend who didn't have a sense of smell due to allergies (years before covid) and when you can't smell you lose a great deal of your sense of taste (something I didn't realize until I met her).  She had to always have a fire alarm over her stove in case stuff started burning because if she stepped away from the stove she wouldn't be able to smell burning stuff.

Anyone notice Aarti's emerald ring? So gorgeous, I'm jealous. I think the teams are finding their groove. There weren't any glaring errors, everyone finished. Sure, the giant gingerbread man was a scale issue. There was nothing wrong with their elements. But besides the windows of their background, what did the sugar artist do? Putting the mistletoe display in the bottom 2 was just nitpicking.  They should judge on the final piece, not on who did what. Knew the Santa display was winning. It was quite good and was the best at meeting the challenge. 

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Anyone notice Aarti's emerald ring? So gorgeous, I'm jealous. I think the teams are finding their groove. There weren't any glaring errors, everyone finished. Sure, the giant gingerbread man was a scale issue. There was nothing wrong with their elements. But besides the windows of their background, what did the sugar artist do? Putting the mistletoe display in the bottom 2 was just nitpicking.  They should judge on the final piece, not on who did what. Knew the Santa display was winning. It was quite good and was the best at meeting the challenge. 

Yea, I didn't get the whole thing about them not working cohesively. It looked fine to me, though it was obvious Santa would win. 

Aarti's ring was gorgeous. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 2
10 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

I really have a hard time knowing who is on these teams.  I can't remember from week to week who goes home and have to do a process of elimination thought process...LOL!

Ha -- same here!  Literally the only 2 I remember week to week are Aaron who we've seen before (and I like so much) and the baby-voice woman from Ukraine (so glad she's gone -- I have a very hard time listening to squeaky voices like that -- I mute a lot).

The Santa winners this week -- I said "who's that?!!"  They did do great work so well done.

• Like 1

I can usually remember individual members from most of the teams but as far as knowing what the names of their teams are - no such luck.  I do know the eliminated team (and you are right - the Ukrainian woman and the cake artist I remember because they were the feuding ones one week) was Peppermint something.  The winners this week I identify the guy in that group because he looks more like he should be hanging out playing video games than baking, and then there's the team with the tall cookie artist whom we've seen before (is that Aaron?) and the lady the judges say takes on too many of the tasks, there is a team that has a blonde woman who I think is the sugar artist - other than that they all kind of blend together to me.

• Like 1

Again, the judges were commenting that Aaron's cake person always did their characters.  Well, the lady who did the shark always does their characters too. It's something all the cake artists do since they typically make big pieces. The undersea pieces were nice but nothing spectacular. Kind of happy that the sugar lady who kept bragging  that she did everything by hand went home.

• Like 3

I'm still having trouble keeping everyone straight.  I wish they'd show the winning and losing displays along side the teams when they announce who won and who is leaving.  Five minutes after the show ended, I couldn't remember which display was which.  ???

• Like 4

For Holiday Wars, I subscribe to the great Charles Phoenix’s “where’s the glitter? Where’s the holiday?” The creations weren’t bad last night but held zero festive or holiday interest for me. Bah humbug. I did love that the guy did the gin martini dessert. I long for a show with true holiday schmaltz. 

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who can’t remember which team did each display. Each week when they announce who is going home I have to rewind to see what they made.

The show doesn't make it clear either, by showing the team's piece when they're eliminated.

• Like 1

I was sad to see the only team I recognized eliminated last night but they were the right ones to go.  What were they thinking with their "stylized" Christmas design?  Honestly Christmas is all about vibrancy and lights and colors...even if they had accomplished their design well I think it would have been a dangerous design choice.

Now it is between the guy with the curly hair and the guy who makes interesting flavor combinations (that's how I categorize them...LOL!). 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

I was sad to see the only team I recognized eliminated last night but they were the right ones to go.  What were they thinking with their "stylized" Christmas design?  Honestly Christmas is all about vibrancy and lights and colors...even if they had accomplished their design well I think it would have been a dangerous design choice.

Now it is between the guy with the curly hair and the guy who makes interesting flavor combinations (that's how I categorize them...LOL!). 

I think they could have had the color be bigger. It was just way too small. 

1 hour ago, RoxiP said:

I was sad to see the only team I recognized eliminated last night but they were the right ones to go.

I was sad to see them go too because I really liked the young guy in the glasses.  I can't argue with the decision though.  Their concept was interesting but it wasn't executed well and they had too much empty space.  The dark tree was ugly.  I think the remaining two teams are pretty evenly matched so I'll be OK with either winning.

• Like 4

I really liked Aarti's green dress. Very sorry to see Aaron and his team go. Maybe angled their display differently. If they had Santa and the window on the other side. Then the boy would have been facing the judges. 

To me, the remaining 2 teams are the preppies and the chain gang.

Finale was OK. I thought the challenge was to put lights on something that wasn't a house. So an elf house and a houseboat. Agree with the judges that the elf house could've been better if it were a different color. Red would've been nice. And the houseboat needed movement. So long Shinmin, see you in September. Anyone know what is coming in this time slot next?

I thought both final bakes were really charming and I liked both of these teams.  I agreed with the judges about the pale elf house up against a pale background -- you would think that these bakers would know from past shows that things need to differentiate and stand out / not blend in, especially if they're a light color.  Same with last week's odd choice of so much black in their piece.  

I was absolutely good with the decision on the winner -- that houseboat and dock with lights outlining it and all of the little details were just delightful and again, I really liked all 3 bakers.  

• Like 3

Both teams did a good job but the elf house did need more contrast.  I actually liked the houseboat better so I was glad that team won.  I also liked the team members on that one.  They worked well together all season without bickering.  I liked the man on the other team but not the women so I wasn't sorry they lost.