Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Meet the Martones

• Start Topic

First episode is online at TLC's website; premieres on television November 17, 2019

The Martones are a loud, fun-loving family from Long Island. Sisters Lexi, a talented nail artist, and Bria, a haircolorist/makeup artist, run Salon Martone while juggling family dynamics, over-the-top clients, and their own relationships.

I had some time to kill and watched this online (despite the million ads) and...I found myself really liking it compared to some of the other shitty TLC family-themed shows.

While they're certainly not my speed or style, the nails Lexi creates are amazing and she has incredible talent. Bria, the sister, seems like a hot mess (though likable enough) and is marrying a guy (Matthew) who not only said, "You can feel your gut in her heart," but also has a long history of drug abuse, theft, and cheating on her. Of course, they've gotten engaged in the first episode. He seemed drunk and slurring his words at the birthday party. Good luck, Bria!

I would love to party with Foxy the OTT grandma. 

All that being said, the OUTFITS. My god...where do people find shit like that?! I thought Frederick's of Hollywood went out of business years ago.

Anyway, good show. Looking forward to more. 

I love Lexi! And she is right to be worried about Bria marrying Matt....even if only for the potential impact on the salon. If Bria and Matt get divorced, Matt will have a financial interest in the salon. Yes, no matter the legal business structure, he will. That's got to be very stressful. Why is Bria so blind!!?

The mom would look 100x better w/ a make under. A woman can pull off that dramatic, long black hair but for only so long. And her daughters, being in the beauty industry, need to tell her. 

• Love 3

I sort of liked the show.  Lexi is super talented and smart.  The mom is kind of over the top. Grandma has a real talent for helping the older ladies with their hair woes.  That one woman had like no hair and Grandma made it look good for her.  The sister is hooked up with a real loser and she is so young only 22.  Some day she will see it hopefully without being hurt too much.  I also agree it is not any worse than other TLC or crappy reality show.

• Love 1

Bria and Matt have been on-again/off-again for 8 years.  That means they started dating when Bria was 14.  How old is Matt?  Is he the same age?  If so, that is very young to have so many issues with drugs, jail, cheating, having kids (they said he had 2 kids right?).  

I agree that Lexi is really talented.  They was she assembled that mini boom box and mirrored ball was pretty cool.  I'll keep watching.

I’m embarrassed to admit I watched this Uber scripted shit. Grandma in her quavering voice shrieking who wants to do a shot with her, 22 year old sister who looks like a 44 yo well worked Atlantic City call girl in her slit above the hip side boob showing dress, and every Italian American stereotype shoved into the first episode. Lexi is charming, but listening to her constantly yapping is exhausting. 

This will be one and done. It’s like Jerseylicious with less attractive people. 

• Love 3

Oh gosh, Mom's outfit at the birthday party wasn't even appropriate for a hot night in a bondage club!  Who wears this stuff?  And was everybody else surprised to find out that it was  Bria's 22nd birthday?  She looks at least 10 years older!

I wish they would just focus on the nail art and leave the rest of the crap alone.  Those nails are fantastic (okay, and I do wonder how that one woman is going to wipe).

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, BallisticNikki said:

What line of work are/were the parents in?

Mom runs the salon.  I don't think they said what Big Mike did (must be fairly successful though), and a quick google doesn't yield me any results (but I'm not the greatest googler in the world).

I had seen enough previews of this show to know what to expect.  

Lexi: I am in awe of her nail art!  Spinning pizza!  Stripper tassels!  Ultrasound profile pic!  So much fun!  I always wonder how these women with the long,  pointy nails wipe. 

The fact that Lexi lost that weight is great.  She has such an outgoing personality and it did not seem as if the weight was holding her back.  

Bria: she is great at color!  I,  too,  thought she was a good 10 years older.  

Foxy Grandma:  she made me laugh!  What she was able to do with that one woman was amazing.  

I'm always impressed with anyone who can do makeup,  nails and hair.   I'm one of those people whose highest level of hair styling is combing my hair.  

And,  where do they get those clothes? I hope I don't sound stereotypical but I think women from Jersey are so much fun!  I feel so bland! 

Edited by alegtostandon
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, alegtostandon said:

And,  where do they get those clothes? I hope I don't sound stereotypical but I think women from Jersey are so much fun!  I feel so bland!

Ha I know you mean this in a complimentary way, but all of us from jersey do not dress so....loudly. Though most of us are a lot of fun! Also, I thought they were from Staten island, not jersey? Though stereotypically I understand confusing the two haha. If she is in jersey, where in jersey? I wanna go just to see he shop and gawk! 

Edited to add: I just checked the first post and apparently they're in Long Island. So, different but the same 😂😂😂

Edited by Treehugger9
  • Love 2
On 11/18/2019 at 12:36 PM, LucyEth said:

I sort of liked the show.  Lexi is super talented and smart.  The mom is kind of over the top. Grandma has a real talent for helping the older ladies with their hair woes.  That one woman had like no hair and Grandma made it look good for her.  The sister is hooked up with a real loser and she is so young only 22.  Some day she will see it hopefully without being hurt too much.  I also agree it is not any worse than other TLC or crappy reality show.

I also got a kick out of this show; however, how many people - while watching - jumped and said about Bria "SHE'S ONLY 22?).  I honestly thought she was at least 40.  Bad choices there for her.  Matt is a loser (and has kids) and is still using.  Lexi has a right to be concerned

• Love 2
On 11/24/2019 at 3:36 PM, readheaded said:

I agree.  Could she have been in a "Four Weddings" episode?

Now you've got me saying, "possibly????"  I thought she looked familiar too and I'm a FW whore.  But a Google search doesn't bring up much.  

• Love 1
On 11/21/2019 at 11:03 AM, alegtostandon said:

They're from Long Island so maybe they've got shops like that there. 

Where I'm from in NJ, I have never seen anyone dress like that (and I grew up in the bars of Seaside), nor have I seen a store that sold crap like they wear. It's literally ridiculous and I'd be horrified if I went to a salon and that's what my stylist looked like honestly (meaning Bria).