Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: The Truth About Kats and Dogs

• Start Topic

WHAT WE DESIRE - Mel (Melonie Diaz) and Maggie (Sarah Jeffery) attempt to find a missing Macy (Madeleine Mantock) with a spell while Harry (Rupert Evans) uses a different method - allowing Abigael to help him access his subconscious in an attempt to connect with his dark side. Tessa Blake directed the episode written by Johanna Lee (#205). Original airdate 11/8/2019.

I enjoyed the episode, but now I have more questions.

Dark Harry is ambitious, adulterous, and a bit of a douchecanoe. But who unsealed his bottle? It had to be someone powerful enough to kill those mouthless assassins but also know that Harry's dark side would be unthethered to the Elders. But who?

Also, it's clear that Abigail wanted something in Harry's mind outside of Macy. Once she got it, she bounced but where to? I don't think she'll go after the Charmed Ones for now, but I'm curious to see what her plans are.

Poppy, like Madeline, seems to have great chemistry with everyone. Abigail and Macy make the better team, so hopefully we get to see the two of them interact again. I'm glad she ended up joining the cast as a series regular. She's been a great addition to the group.

Marisol haunting Kat is unexpected and it makes me sad for the shopkeeper even though Marisol ended up helping out in the end. I also did like Mel and Maggie's plot a lot.

Despite the lack of Macy, I think this might be my favourite episode of the season thus far. And Mel's fanny pack of potions will never not be amusing. Even if she gets her powers back, I hope she continues to carry it around with her. Who knew that a lack of powers could make Mel more interesting. She's really shining this season and I for one welcome it.

• Love 3

Are they trying to save money this season by filming as much as they can in the Safe Space Seattle set (and other temporary interior sets)?

The actress who plays the demon-witch is very charismatic.  But I was uneasy watching her with Harry the entire episode.  They should have entrapped her where she couldn't hear all their private conversations.

I was looking forward to seeing more about Harry's past in the demon mind-meld, but the snippets were a bit too piecemeal.  So the darkest thing about him was he slept around?

Is Harry going to end the season accepting his full self and merging with his Dark side?  Hopefully, that would be handled better than on "Once".

Are they implying Macy fell in love with the "dark" side of Harry.

I know Mel was in a rush to save Macy, but she seemed kind of cold after finding out that Katrina was having visions of worms.   Maggie didn't seem to care that much either.  The giant dog plot dragged on for a little too long.  I'm glad there wasn't any bigger consequence to them using a banned spell.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I wonder why they decided to take a show about strong female witches and make it a show about Harry.

Harry is part of the crew and his history is giving us some much needed lore. We've had episodes about him before too, so I don't see the problem. 

• Love 7

Are they trying to save money this season by filming as much as they can in the Safe Space Seattle set (and other temporary interior sets)?

I wondered the exact same thing. It may also be the reason they lost their powers - to save money on FX. When Phoebe was de-powered towards the end of the OG series it was a cost-cutting measure. And note that Harry's entire dream-scape mind meld thing took place in the Elders HQ minus the furniture.

I was able to follow the thread better this week than last but I really don't know where they're going with this. Will the Charmed Ones be relegated to tracking and saving witches from danger at HQ indefinitely? This whole season feels more like end game than Season 2.

• Love 1

This episode was a bit on the confusing side, but also interesting, and I am enjoying how they are using Harry and his backstory and issues to explore the lore of the series more. I kind of wish that by the end the Whitelighters and Elders are brought back, because honestly this all makes them way more interesting than they were last season!

Abigail is a great addition to the cast, she adds a good amount of funner one liners as well as some moral greyness. I actually like the idea that not all demons might necessarily be evil, its something interesting that the OG show kind of played with a few times, but never fully explored. 

So Parker is still posting on his Instagram? Isn't he on the run or something? Honestly I kind of forget how that they ended up going down.

So Harry and Macy are so into each other, his Dark Lighter even has a crush on her! Harry and Macy actually becoming a thing could be a really good story, even if it wasnt exactly planned from the beginning. 

So Marisol is still following around from the afterlife? Did she do the worms? Thats a pretty creepy way to get someones attention. I also loved how Maggie and Mel went from cowering in fear of the demon dog to "oh my god look at this good boi hi puppy!" in about three seconds! And I continue to love Mels magic fanny pack.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

And note that Harry's entire dream-scape mind meld thing took place in the Elders HQ minus the furniture.

Yeah, the whole "the demon mind meld takes on the physicality of wherever I perform the meld" was just so forced it screamed cost-saving measure.  It was also distracting.  They might as well have it take place in a dark void with the various vignettes lighting the way.

On 11/9/2019 at 2:38 PM, tennisgurl said:

So Harry and Macy are so into each other, his Dark Lighter even has a crush on her! Harry and Macy actually becoming a thing could be a really good story, even if it wasnt exactly planned from the beginning. 

I’m down. Although I liked it when it was a bit subtler in S1 but then TPTB may realize there are no guarantees for the show’s longevity and no sense in holding back on one of the more interesting dynamics of the show. It’s smart to set up the parallel dichotomy aspect of Harry having both light and dark halves parallel Macy’s Witch/Demon split. At least this way both have the issue of having dark side angst. Also it’s all but guaranteed that there will be some new prophecy angst about the danger of any progeny of a Demon blood ‘tainted’ Zombie Witch Charmed One and The Last Whitelighter and/or Fully Reconciled Harry containing both his White and Dark Lighter halves. But that’s for a potential S3. 

Anyhoo now errrrrybody knows the deal. Neither Maggie nor Mel had a clue but they do now!

Fanny Pack Mel kicks ass. 

I miss S1 Maggie’s levity. I get her life has drastically changed but I hope we get sparks of that side of her back.

Normally I’d dig Abigail but she feels like the Billie of this Charmed group. Not sure why she’s there. If she’s not there to avenge her family or part of a prophecy, what’s her bigger picture arc? 

• Love 2
On 11/9/2019 at 2:43 AM, Camera One said:

Probably. The CW drastically slashed the season 2 budget after Charmed performed so dismally in the ratings last year.