Type keyword(s) to search

Court TV Channel

• Start Topic

We have Court TV and Court TV Mystery, which as you mentioned was formerly Escape.

I thought some of the cases on the Court TV channel recently were interesting and thought it might be nice to have a place to discuss them if people wanted to.

2 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Court TV Mystery is what Escape used to be here, but hopefully we won’t get Court TV anytime soon.

On 11/3/2019 at 12:21 PM, SilverStormm said:

Your Court TV Topic!

Thanks!

• Love 1
1 minute ago, beckie said:

We have Court TV and Court TV Mystery, which as you mentioned was formerly Escape.

I thought some of the cases on the Court TV channel recently were interesting and thought it might be nice to have a place to discuss them if people wanted to.

And what’s odd is that it’s still titled Escape on our cable guide and not Court TV Mystery.

• Love 1

Interesting. I saw that "Escape" was renamed "Court TV Mystery" recently. I sometimes watch it on my over the air TV (bedroom) and I've found it on my Xfinity lineup (living room TV).

I didn't realize that Court TV was back; missed that news. Their website is frustrating because the "Find us" page doesn't link to any actual information about where they are, either over the air or on cable/satellite. 

On the Court TV Mystery site, I did find a useful "find us" page. Hmm.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Interesting. I saw that "Escape" was renamed "Court TV Mystery" recently. I sometimes watch it on my over the air TV (bedroom) and I've found it on my Xfinity lineup (living room TV).

I didn't realize that Court TV was back; missed that news. Their website is frustrating because the "Find us" page doesn't link to any actual information about where they are, either over the air or on cable/satellite. 

On the Court TV Mystery site, I did find a useful "find us" page. Hmm.

It’s only available on Verizon FIOS and an Antenna here.

It didn't replace anything here, it just added two more to one channel. The Court TV Mystery on the other hand has replaced Escape. Not that the programming is all that different.

Anybody who actually gets the regular channel, watching? I wonder how they pick which cases to show.

On 11/17/2019 at 4:16 PM, beckie said:

It didn't replace anything here, it just added two more to one channel. The Court TV Mystery on the other hand has replaced Escape. Not that the programming is all that different.

Anybody who actually gets the regular channel, watching? I wonder how they pick which cases to show.

I just noticed two days ago that it’s been added to my Comcast lineup. All I’ve seen so far is coverage of the Mark Sievers trial, and some video pertaining to the Kelsey Berreth case. I’m not super impressed with some of the commentary/filler during courtroom recesses; Vinnie what’s-his-face from the old Court TV and a couple of others sit around yakking and sometimes they get a little too giggly for my taste. They get a bit gleeful when mocking Mark Sievers and his buddies for some of their actions. I’m fine with them pointing things out and discussing them but I don’t like when it feels like the gravity of a murder gets lost in the process. 

I do appreciate having live trial coverage back on the air. If I weren’t  lazily lying in bed, I would check the program listings and offer more info. Perhaps later 🙂

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 1

Just starting CA v Broderick on Court TV's website.  This is the case covered by the 1992 TV movies A Woman Scorned: The Betty Broderick Story and Her Final Fury: Betty Broderick, the Last Chapter.

Prosecution Opening Statements (2hrs):

1. The judge instructed that nothing mentioned in the opening statements is to be considered as evidence.
  2. There is a video, taken by an investigator, showing the path traveled by Betty during the commission of the murders.  I found this to be a very affecting use by the prosecutor.  It was useful to see the path taken and put things in context in my mind and also brought me into the home and made it easier to connect to the situation.  She also used floor plans but that was only to show where the 5 shots were taken from and where they landed.
  3. Dan was still alive after he was shot and tried to use the phone to call for help.  Betty ripped the phone from the wall and left him for dead.  It took him 2 min - 2 hours to die by drowning in his own blood. 
  4. Motive is a scored woman.
  5. There is the standard stuff about how Dan and Linda were the best people ever and Betty is the worst person ever.  I get why this is done and yet it always leaves me cold.
  6. Betty did not "put" Dan through medical school nor law school as she claimed.   His parents paid for medical school and Dan got student loans for law school and he paid those loans back with the money he made after graduation.  This was new information for me.  I had always believed Betty had put him through school while raising their children.
  7. Betty was abusive, petty, malicious, and manipulative long before Linda even knew Dan.
  8. Betty made a suicide attempt after she became suspicious of Dan having an affair. This caused Dan to recommit to the marriage promising he wouldn't leave her.  The prosecutor points out that the cuts made to Betty's wrists were so shallow they did not require stitches or any other medical treatment.
  9. The poor children. 
  10. The voice messages.
  11. The judge may or may not be sleeping with his eyes open.
  12. Betty never mentioned abuse by Dan until after she was charged with murder.
  13. Dan and others believed that Betty would never be happy no matter how much money he gave her.  She would only be happy if she was still Mrs. Broderick.  I don't think so.  She was never going to be happy without absolute and utter control over the people surrounding her.   Not only did they need to be under her control, they needed to be happy about it.  If either of those 2 things were untrue, then punishment was required and pleasurable.  A kinder view (which I don't hold) is that Betty wanted Dan to hurt as badly has she did.
  14. Dan allowed his children to continue to see Betty because the boys wanted to see their mother.  I don't think I would've allowed that but I'm not a parent.  Turns out the courts required visitation with Betty.
  15. Betty was dating someone else from the time of separation up until the murders.  New info for me.
  16. Who are the people on the back row in the gallery? Betty's children?  Dan's and\or Linda's family? The camera pans to them occasionally.
  17. Not much of Betty is shown; so, I don't have any thoughts on her reactions to the accusations.

Next up: Defense Opening Statements.

This channel has just become available to me.  Today I caught parts of the Martin murder trial jury recommendation phase.  Anyone else following this?  I’m really intrigued, since there seems to be little physical evidence.  I intend to explore it further.   

2 hours ago, Retired at last said:

Is anyone watching the disaster that is Johnny Depp testifying? 

I watch a bit of it when Depp started to testify and then just as he finished.  It’s really slow going! I don’t know why he is putting himself through this.  I think she is a piece of work and I don’t think he abused or assaulted her.  They were a mutual disaster waiting to happen.  He just isn’t coming across well.

Edited by Emmeline
  • Love 1

I agree - he is very difficult to watch and listen to. He got a little better after a really scary start. I think some of his examples were a little weird. Like when he was talking about not yelling at his kids to not put a coat hanger in a wall socket. Um, YES, you do need to yell NO at them if they do that. That is not the time to have a discussion with them. But, I think he was trying to explain the difference in how he was raised and how he wanted to raise his kids.

It is still really hard to watch. I saw that James Franco is listed as a witness for him. Sorry, but, the only person stranger than Johnny Depp is James Franco. I just wonder what the jury is thinking, especially when he was referring to Penthouse #1 or number 4. It was nice that he didn't charge his friends (or hers) rent, but having several penthouse apartments just sitting there is not really anything the jury can relate to.

• Love 1

I live in the DC area, and the Johnny Depp - Amber Heard trial is going on here and getting daily coverage in the Washington Post.  I don't know who's telling the truth, or not, but what I am appalled about is all of Johnny's fans just being so certain he's innocent, because, I guess he's a beloved, quirky movie star,  and they are treating Amber and her supporters like absolute sh*t, including death threats.  What on earth is wrong with people, that for the mere act of supporting a woman in a trial, they feel compelled to send death threats?  

JMTC, but from the testimony so far, they both seem like absolute train wrecks.  And as deep into drinking and drugging as he was, and the numerous people talking about his personality change when that started happening, I just can't see how some of the abuse stories about him aren't true. And likewise I think that some of the abuse stories about her are true.  But he is swearing that he never, ever hit her in any way.

• Love 2

I watched part of the Depp/Heard court case, where he testified that she shat on his bed and left it there.   Talk about airing your dirty laundry!   From what I understand this lawsuit is about him claiming she ruined his reputation with false accusations.  Who knows, but this isn't making him look any better.  He's another star who's been corroded by excessive adulation.

• Like 1

Anyone else watching the Darrell Brooks case? He drove through a Christmas parade, in Waukesha WI, last November. I have been catching up on YouTube.  Fascinating. Brooks is acting as his own lawyer. 

Shanda Vander Ark will not be treated with compassion from a few inmates in there. 

Unfortunately, My daughter was in jail with a baby killer and they went after her. Mothers instincts. I disagree with what the lady said on your show. She's never been behind bars. Mothers behind bars take it personally, regardless of what they have done, they are protective of their children. Just my input on this because I've seen it before. Shame on her for being so cruel to her child!