Type keyword(s) to search

Charmed - General Discussion

Aethera
  • Start Topic

TnT is showing season eight and I tried to see if it's still as bad as I remember and it is. It's bad, boring and everyone magical or not has too dumb for realizing three cousins living at the manor living exact same lives as the Charmed ones. Phoebe conveniently has a cousin Julie who's just as good at an advice column as Phoebe. They could have made it more fun by having the sisters try different jobs. They talk about starting over but their not. Phoebe fell into the advice column job maybe she'd like to try something else? Piper wanted to be a chef she could get a job in a restaurant or something completely different. Run Piper Run was fun because Piper had to deal with being mistaken for someone else with her new identity. I don't hate Billie. I just don't care about her. I don't care about her sister. I'm tired of the new witch learning. We've seen that twice already. I'm tired of Phoebe learning to love again because she's been through so much. As if she didn't screw Cole over or lie to Dex about everything. Did she not do anything to Jason or am I forgetting? Piper finally having the normal life she wanted forever could have been really interesting. 

Henry's okay but I'm not sure Paige would ever want to marry someone who didn't have magic. She really liked talking to Richard about magic and having someone else do magic with.  It's nice that Henry wasn't crazy like Richard or Kyle. Although I blame the writers for flip flopping Richard every other episode. They really should have ended the series in season seven. Xankou was a great villain and they tried giving up magic and everything with Utopia. And it had Billy Zane

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
On 5/18/2023 at 12:44 AM, andromeda331 said:

They really should have ended the series in season seven. Xankou was a great villain and they tried giving up magic and everything with Utopia. And it had Billy Zane

I much prefer Forever Charmed to Something Wicca This Way Goes as a series finale. I know it's cheesy, but I do like seeing all the sisters have their happy endings, and I like that it focuses on the Charmed legacy: past, present, and future.

I also think the last line from Old Piper about how they truly have been Charmed is such a wonderful near-last line for the series. And seeing one of Piper's grandchildren (?) telekinetically close the door is quite satisfying.  I also liked that the Matthew name stays in the Charmed line to honor Paige's inclusion into the family.

I enjoy Season 7 more and watch it more at my leisure, but I think Season 8 is better as a final season.

Ex Libris is an odd episode. I'm not sure why Charlene had to scare the pawn shop killer or why Prue couldn't just cast a truth spell or something. Its not personal gain if she's trying to get justice for a victim. I still like the episode. I kind of wish we got to see how Charlene got onto demons in the first place. I like Prue wanting to help the father out. That was a really nice thing. I liked Phoebe getting justice for Charlene. 

I really don't like Leo had a wife when he was alive. I like to pretend that part never happened because it undermines Leo and Piper as soul mates. Why weren't Leo and Lillian soul mates? He died but was totally okay to move on as a whitelighter and forget all about his wife? But then met Piper and it all changed?

Come to think of it what does Leo think about his family that left behind? His parents? Any siblings or other relatives? Was he happy to never see them again?  Did he have any family still alive? How did he feel after Wyatt and Chris were born? He somehow got his baby blanket from his family.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Ex Libris is an odd episode. I'm not sure why Charlene had to scare the pawn shop killer or why Prue couldn't just cast a truth spell or something. Its not personal gain if she's trying to get justice for a victim. I still like the episode. I kind of wish we got to see how Charlene got onto demons in the first place. I like Prue wanting to help the father out. That was a really nice thing. I liked Phoebe getting justice for Charlene. 

I really don't like Leo had a wife when he was alive. I like to pretend that part never happened because it undermines Leo and Piper as soul mates. Why weren't Leo and Lillian soul mates? He died but was totally okay to move on as a whitelighter and forget all about his wife? But then met Piper and it all changed?

Come to think of it what does Leo think about his family that left behind? His parents? Any siblings or other relatives? Was he happy to never see them again?  Did he have any family still alive? How did he feel after Wyatt and Chris were born? He somehow got his baby blanket from his family.

TCO cant go around casting spells for normal acts of violence. It would still be a form of personal gain to use the truth spell on him. 

I like that Leo had a life before Piper, being married to someone else doesnt automatically equate to being their soulmate. Piper wasnt married to him in when she was Grams' mother.

• Like 1
On 5/22/2023 at 9:07 AM, 4evaQuez said:

I much prefer Forever Charmed to Something Wicca This Way Goes as a series finale.

I agree with this.  I hated seeing the Manor (and Nexis) blown up, the girls going on the run with the kids and somehow trying to avoid modern life while somehow being able to teach "the next generation of magic".  If it HAD been the series finale, I wouldn't have been satisfied.

On 5/17/2023 at 10:44 PM, andromeda331 said:

Henry's okay but I'm not sure Paige would ever want to marry someone who didn't have magic. She really liked talking to Richard about magic and having someone else do magic with.

I liked Henry but I agree that Richard seemed like a good fit for Paige. I couldn't stand how they gave him a "magic addiction" which made no sense!  

Piper marrying a mortal might have also made more sense, since as mentioned in an earlier post, she was the one who was happy to be "normal" and keep magic more separate from her private life.  Technically Leo did become mortal later on, but of course he wasn't for the first 6 seasons.  

• Like 3
7 hours ago, magicdog said:

I liked Henry but I agree that Richard seemed like a good fit for Paige. I couldn't stand how they gave him a "magic addiction" which made no sense!  

It really didn't. He used magic all his life and had no problem dispite growing up around the stupid feud. If he was going to have a problem it would have been then when it was a free for all. He really didn't and was the only one who had any sense in the feud. Olivia did until she was murdered by his brother. He was great for Paige.

Piper marrying a mortal might have also made more sense, since as mentioned in an earlier post, she was the one who was happy to be "normal" and keep magic more separate from her private life.  Technically Leo did become mortal later on, but of course he wasn't for the first 6 seasons.  

I agree. She really wanted the normal life as much as possible. Marrying a mortal would have given her what she wanted or at least the most normal life possible. I know Leo ended up becoming mortal for Piper, but I don't think he ever really wanted to get away from magic the way Piper did. He went from a whitelighter to an elder and finished as a mortal who taught at magic school. Really teaching at magic school was perfect for him.  He'd be happy teaching magic to young witches and going home to a magical family. While Piper would be happy running her restaurant, going home to a normal family, and only doing magic when she had too.

• Like 2
On 6/8/2023 at 8:10 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

She is also divorcing her husband after 11 years  of marriage and rumor has it that he cheated on her.  Shannon wrote a cryptic tweet implying that...

My heart goes out to Shannon and she has always been a fantastic actress. I hope that she has good people around her at this time of her life..

• Like 1
(edited)
On 6/5/2023 at 4:18 PM, magicdog said:

I always wanted Piper to have had the life that her mother was denied with her father. Piper marrying a mortal and having three daughters with him would have been a great ending for her and a homage to the power of 3 in my opinion.  

I know that a lot of the fans liked that all of the sisters had 3 children but it never ran true for me. I could see Phoebe with 2 kids a boy Victor named after her dad(Phoebe has always loved her dad no matter what and never judged him for his failings as a father) and a girl.  I actually see Paige being childless and very happy about her choice. Prue had she lived would have had one child. She spent all of her life taking care of others and I think that she would want to enjoy her life being carefree and be a bit selfish for a while before becoming a mother. 

I also think that her sisters being powerful witches in their own right if the show had followed Constance plans regarding the  evolution of the sisters powers would have alleviated the responsibility of Prue always looking out for them.  I remember in season 1 in the episode "Which Prue is it" Piper and Phoebe told her that she had to stop being their protective big sister and start looking at them as her equals in their fight against evil.. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Like 2
53 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

I always wanted Piper to have had the life that her mother was denied with her father. Piper marrying a mortal and having three daughters with him would have been a great ending for her and a homage to the power of 3 in my opinion.  

I know that a lot of the fans liked that all of the sisters had 3 children but it never ran true for me. I could see Phoebe with 2 kids a boy Victor named after her dad(Phoebe has always loved her dad no matter what and never judged him for his failings as a father) and a girl.  I actually see Paige being childless and very happy about her choice. Prue had she lived would have had one child. She spent all of her life taking care of others and I think that she would want to enjoy her life being carefree and be a bit selfish for a while before becoming a mother. 

I also think that her sisters being powerful witches in their own right if the show had followed Constance plans regarding the  evolution of the sisters powers would have alleviated the responsibility of Prue always looking out for them.  I remember in season 1 in the episode "Which Prue is it" Piper and Phoebe told her that she had to stop being their protective big sister and start looking at them as her equals in their fight against evil.. 

Yeah each sister having 3 kids always felt forced and just bad writing. A flashforward I wish we had never gotten.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

I actually see Paige being childless and very happy about her choice.

I see Paige having a family of her own.  She was adopted by The Matthews and she lost them tragically at the age of 16.  Someone like her would have wanted a husband and children.  Henry was in a similar position so they had a bit in common.

Some have debated if Prue would have been the cool childless one, and perhaps so since Andy was the love of her life and few of her subsequent boyfriends lasted long.  However there were many times in which she'd stated she liked the idea of having a family of her own one day (had she not been killed) so it's a toss up.

• Like 2
(edited)
On 6/10/2023 at 8:48 AM, magicdog said:

I see Paige having a family of her own.  She was adopted by The Matthews and she lost them tragically at the age of 16.  Someone like her would have wanted a husband and children.  Henry was in a similar position so they had a bit in common.

Some have debated if Prue would have been the cool childless one, and perhaps so since Andy was the love of her life and few of her subsequent boyfriends lasted long.  However there were many times in which she'd stated she liked the idea of having a family of her own one day (had she not been killed) so it's a toss up.

Your reasons for Paige wanting children gave me food for thought. I liked Paige but the show never explored her to the fullest in my opinion.  The same can be said for Piper and Phoebe. I am thankful that Kern did not get to ruin Prue so perhaps her death was a blessing in disguise..

I really came to enjoy the Paige/Piper dynamic in the later years more so than the Phoebe/Piper dynamic.  Their sisterhood took a hit after Prue died..

The Prue/Piper dynamic was always the best.. They truly adored each other. Of course the Prue/Phoebe was also good and it is a shame we did not see evil Phoebe interacting with Prue because it would have been dynamite.  Evil Phoebe versus Prue and Piper was foreshadowed in season 1..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Like 3
On 6/10/2023 at 6:48 AM, magicdog said:

I go back and forth on Prue. Sometimes it seems like she'd be happy to be childless living a great life. Other times she had wished for a family, especially after Piper and Leo and Phoebe and Cole got together. But I just don't know. I'm not sure what kind of guy she would want to end up with. Andy was the best of her boyfriends but that's also not saying much. Her boyfriends after him were terrible. She had the most chemistry with Bane who is the opposite of Andy. Then there were Justin and Mitch who started out interesting in their first episode and then bit the dust. I still don't know how Roger managed to get Prue to say yes to him because he seemed like he was always a jerk. I can't see how Prue would ever go on a date with him let alone agree to marry him.

On 6/13/2023 at 9:50 PM, Pearson80 said:

Your reasons for Paige wanting children gave me food for thought. I liked Paige but the show never explored her to the fullest in my opinion.  The same can be said for Piper and Phoebe. I am thankful that Kern did not get to ruin Prue so perhaps her death was a blessing in disguise..

I really came to enjoy the Paige/Piper dynamic in the later years more so than the Phoebe/Piper dynamic.  Their sisterhood took a hit after Prue died..

The Prue/Piper dynamic was always the best.. They truly adored each other. Of course the Prue/Phoebe was also good and it is a shame we did not see evil Phoebe interacting with Prue because it would have been dynamite.  Evil Phoebe versus Prue and Piper was foreshadowed in season 1..

Prue and Piper and Piper and Paige are my two favorite dynamics. I loved Prue and Piper's relationship. It was so natural and they really did love each other. I really like watching Piper and Paige's relationship develop from Piper not really friendly to Paige to genuine friendship. Even their tiffs with each other like Piper and Paige not agreeing in Size Matters or fighting over being a superwitch in Nymphs Just Wanna Have Fun. It fit their personalities. I like that Paige understood what Piper was going through in Hell Have No Fury becaue she went through similar experience losing her parents'. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I still don't know how Roger managed to get Prue to say yes to him because he seemed like he was always a jerk. I can't see how Prue would ever go on a date with him let alone agree to marry him.

I used to wonder about this too, since he couldn't have been any different before we see him in the pilot.  I do remember Phoebe mentioning that Prue was in her "perfect hell".  This made me think she went along with Roger for security and practicality.   They actually broke up just before that so she obviously came to her senses by the time of the pilot.  Of course when he stole the collection from her and screwed her out of her curating job, that was the last straw.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, magicdog said:

I used to wonder about this too, since he couldn't have been any different before we see him in the pilot.  I do remember Phoebe mentioning that Prue was in her "perfect hell".  This made me think she went along with Roger for security and practicality.   They actually broke up just before that so she obviously came to her senses by the time of the pilot.  Of course when he stole the collection from her and screwed her out of her curating job, that was the last straw.

Yeah, I can't see Roger ever being that different or Prue putting up with it for very long. Jeremy at least seemed nice before he turned out to be a warlock. I don't know about security and practicality would override his personality with Prue. But maybe your right.  She remembers her mother working as a waitress when Victor was gone and he completely bailed after Patty died. With her mom gone and her grandmother dying. It does make sense that she would want security more. Similar to Piper working at a bank instead of in a restaurant for security and to pay Grams's medical bills.  Maybe she was getting there in Pre-witched. She was already upset that he was adding people to wedding list. She didn't come of like someone in love or even happy. Although she doesn't break it off. Maybe she wasn't ready to admit it yet that she made the wrong choice.

• Like 2
On 6/16/2023 at 1:03 PM, magicdog said:

I think Roger, like a lot of guys was very charismatic at first and Prue fell for him. He would show his true colors but she likely was trying to look past that fast track her life to the "perfect marriage with two successful people" and was fooling herself. Her views of her father, her having a bf that almost killed her as a teen, toxic relationships is what she was used to.

• Like 3
On 6/16/2023 at 3:32 AM, andromeda331 said:

Prue and Piper and Piper and Paige are my two favorite dynamics. I loved Prue and Piper's relationship. It was so natural and they really did love each other. I really like watching Piper and Paige's relationship develop from Piper not really friendly to Paige to genuine friendship. Even their tiffs with each other like Piper and Paige not agreeing in Size Matters or fighting over being a superwitch in Nymphs Just Wanna Have Fun. It fit their personalities. I like that Paige understood what Piper was going through in Hell Have No Fury becaue she went through similar experience losing her parents'. 

I don't think that Piper ever really came to terms with her loss. We got a glimpse of that in season 7 when she mentioned Prue with Grams and it was still painful for her to talk about her. Holly played that scene so effortlessly.. She is a great actress.. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

I don't think that Piper ever really came to terms with her loss. We got a glimpse of that in season 7 when she mentioned Prue with Grams and it was still painful for her to talk about her. Holly played that scene so effortlessly.. She is a great actress.. 

I don't think she ever did either. They were so close in away she's never been with anyone else.  

• Like 1
On 6/23/2023 at 10:41 AM, Pearson80 said:

WB/Spelling prod in their hatred of Shannen really failed in w/Prue. They definitely wanted to erase her as much as possible from the shows history but we could've had so many stories utilizing child Prue. Paige having to protect a child Prue could've been great. Shame.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1

One thing I l like about when Cole was good and with Phoebe was how nice it was to finally have someone who had information about demons. It was really nice compared to the Elders who never knew anything about demons or anything at all. 

• Like 2
On 7/14/2023 at 8:56 AM, Primal Slayer said:

WB/Spelling prod in their hatred of Shannen really failed in w/Prue. They definitely wanted to erase her as much as possible from the shows history but we could've had so many stories utilizing child Prue. Paige having to protect a child Prue could've been great. Shame.

I honestly never realized how much I wanted this episode when I first saw you post it. I've been thinking about it nonstop ever since.

I think this would have been a wonderful Season 6 episode. While I think Season 5 works, too, since she interacts with Grams and Sam in that season. I think Season 6 works better since it's all about time travel and the Warren/Halliwell legacy. I would have preferred this to the temp agency subplot. Maybe Paige wants to learn more about the Warren line which would let her meet Melinda in an episode, a young Prue in an episode, and Witchstock could have been its own little Paige trilogy.

• Like 2

There are so many woulda, coulda, shoulda moments from this show it isn't even funny!

Even when it was still in productions, we fans had better ideas about what to see.  I'm sure writers were instructed to ignore any postings since they don't want legal issues, but I wish they COULD have at least contacted fans about some things.  I would have loved a contest in which submissions could potentially have been made into an episode.

• Like 1

I'm doing a rewatch and am heading towards the end of season 1. I am surprised by how much I liked it. In rewatches in the past i was always focused on how much i disliked Prue. I always focused on how all 3 sisters received their powers at the same time, and yet Prue was the all power super witch. This time I'm appreciating all of the sisters for where they are in their lives. I'm also still loving Phoebe in season 1. Phoebe was adorable in season 1. Even though Piper was the one focused on love and being "normal" and the heart of the family Phoebe was so much more human? I guess? More loving than Prue and Piper both. 

Also, I remember reading that Bea and Betty didn't like each other on The Golden Girls but they did 8 seasons and you would never have known it. I wish whoever and however the toxicity started and continued could have held it down the professionalism of Bea and Betty. 

I was also surprised by how dressed everyone was. I know outfits went skimpier as the series went on, but, I thought boobs and bellies were on display from the very beginning.  Other than a few going out outfits and some truly questionable work attire they were fully clothed. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, hiisa said:

I'm doing a rewatch and am heading towards the end of season 1. I am surprised by how much I liked it. In rewatches in the past i was always focused on how much i disliked Prue. I always focused on how all 3 sisters received their powers at the same time, and yet Prue was the all power super witch. This time I'm appreciating all of the sisters for where they are in their lives. I'm also still loving Phoebe in season 1. Phoebe was adorable in season 1. Even though Piper was the one focused on love and being "normal" and the heart of the family Phoebe was so much more human? I guess? More loving than Prue and Piper both. 

Also, I remember reading that Bea and Betty didn't like each other on The Golden Girls but they did 8 seasons and you would never have known it. I wish whoever and however the toxicity started and continued could have held it down the professionalism of Bea and Betty. 

I was also surprised by how dressed everyone was. I know outfits went skimpier as the series went on, but, I thought boobs and bellies were on display from the very beginning.  Other than a few going out outfits and some truly questionable work attire they were fully clothed. 

Yeah, Phoebe was really great in season one. I loved her as much as Piper. I really love when she's conflicted over what to tell her boss's husband and realizes she can't do it and quits her job.  

On 8/9/2023 at 3:08 PM, hiisa said:

Golden Girls but they did 8 seasons and you would never have known it. I wish whoever and however the toxicity started and continued could have held it down the professionalism of Bea and Betty. 

The professionalism wasnt the issue, it was WB execs and Spelling execs that decided to it was easier to just get rid of one. Shannen/Alyssa couldn't have been to bad as they allowed Shannen to direct Alyssa in two episodes in S3

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

What did Shannen say above?  The video is unavailable..

Kern wrote her a letter towards the end of the show apologizing to her for what happened bts and basically how things were easier when she was around.

Also that S2 was the hardest for her because she/Holly had a brief falling out while she was in the hospital due to a misunderstanding wherein Alyssa and her mom inadvertently stopped her from visiting Holly in the hospital. 

• Useful 1
On 12/15/2023 at 9:58 AM, Primal Slayer said:

Kern wrote her a letter towards the end of the show apologizing to her for what happened bts and basically how things were easier when she was around.

Also that S2 was the hardest for her because she/Holly had a brief falling out while she was in the hospital due to a misunderstanding wherein Alyssa and her mom inadvertently stopped her from visiting Holly in the hospital. 

Wow!  I am so happy that Shannen was vindicated and that horrid Kern apologized. However the damage was done to her reputation.  Shannen always wanted the best for the show and I never understood why Kern, Spelling  and others were so upset to the point that they fired her.  We all know now that Alyssa was the troublemaker because Rose told the world on twitter. 

I always sensed that Alyssa disliked the closeness between Holly and Shannen.  She probably felt left out of their bond off the show.  Holly and Shannen had been friends for 10 years before working on the show together.  So their friendship would always be strong.

It sucks that Shannen was not able to see Holly in the hospital. I am glad that they were able to patch things up during the era of season 2.  This is why Holly said that if the producers had stayed out of the issues between Shannen and Alyssa, they would have gotten over it eventually.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Like 3
58 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Shannen confirmed today that Alyssa demanded "her or me" and threatened to sue for a hostile work environment so they chose to get rid of Shannen as she was the easier scapegoat.

Huh. Now I wonder how different the show would have been if Alyssa had been fired/Phoebe had gotten killed off.

Although if I had to choose which sister I’d prefer to see killed off, I’d have gone with Piper in half a second.

I hate that it’s taken this long for Shannon to be vindicated now that her cancer has progressed.

Edited by Spartan Girl

What I found strange was Shannen's claim that the "narrative" for years had been that she quit. But that's not so. I distinctly remember at the time it happened, she was notified during the hiatus after Season 3 that she was being let go. There were rumors that she had asked Spelling to be released from her contract at the end of Season 3 and he denied her request, so maybe that's what she means. There were also rumors that Alyssa's manager was also looking for ways to break her contract with the show. The new info from this podcast is that Alyssa was threatening to sue. 

Also that Holly wanted to leave when they fired Shannen but they threatened to sue her and garnish any future wages she made. Wow.

Time heals all wounds they say, and with age comes perspective. I've caught a few YouTube videos of ComicCon panels with various Charmed cast members, including Shannen and Rose. Alyssa wasn't in any of them. The rest of them seem to get along and appreciate the fandom. I was surprised to see Rose involved since it seemed like she absolutely hated doing the show, but she seems to have at least grown to appreciate the fans.

• Like 3
On 1/13/2024 at 9:58 AM, iMonrey said:

What I found strange was Shannen's claim that the "narrative" for years had been that she quit. But that's not so. I distinctly remember at the time it happened, she was notified during the hiatus after Season 3 that she was being let go. There were rumors that she had asked Spelling to be released from her contract at the end of Season 3 and he denied her request, so maybe that's what she means. There were also rumors that Alyssa's manager was also looking for ways to break her contract with the show. The new info from this podcast is that Alyssa was threatening to sue. 

Also that Holly wanted to leave when they fired Shannen but they threatened to sue her and garnish any future wages she made. Wow.

Time heals all wounds they say, and with age comes perspective. I've caught a few YouTube videos of ComicCon panels with various Charmed cast members, including Shannen and Rose. Alyssa wasn't in any of them. The rest of them seem to get along and appreciate the fandom. I was surprised to see Rose involved since it seemed like she absolutely hated doing the show, but she seems to have at least grown to appreciate the fans.

That's what I always heard.

• Like 1
On 1/13/2024 at 10:58 AM, iMonrey said:

Whatever the bts issues were/are, it's a shame that Alyssa isn't involved in the panels. She was there from start to finish and Phoebe/Alyssa exclusion is a disservice to the fans in my opinion.

• Like 1
On 1/13/2024 at 11:58 AM, iMonrey said:

What I found strange was Shannen's claim that the "narrative" for years had been that she quit. But that's not so. I distinctly remember at the time it happened, she was notified during the hiatus after Season 3 that she was being let go.

No, news of her firing hit a few days after the Season Three finale aired -- I remember because I was editing the finale's recap when the shit hit the fan (and the forum boards on Television Without Pity).  And the word at the time was always that Alyssa had Shannen fired.

Also, how depressing is it that all of this happened twenty-three fricking years ago?  I feel like I'm crumbling into dust.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
14 hours ago, Demian said:

No, news of her firing hit a few days after the Season Three finale aired

Yes, but the actors would have been on hiatus for awhile by the time the third season finale aired, which is what I meant. 

I always regarded the "Alyssa got Shannen fired" accusations as anti-Alyssa propaganda by the Shannen fans. Turns out it was true!

Still, having listened to Shannen's podcast, I don't entirely buy her innocent act. She feigned ignorance over any particular fight or altercation with Alyssa that would have warranted her wrath. Back in the day they both copped to petty behavior over perceived jealousies (Shannen, over Alyssa's fan mail; Alyssa, over Shannen's designer wardrobe). 

14 hours ago, Demian said:

Also, how depressing is it that all of this happened twenty-three fricking years ago?  I feel like I'm crumbling into dust.

You and me both.

• Like 1
On 2/12/2024 at 8:21 PM, Demian said:

No, news of her firing hit a few days after the Season Three finale aired -- I remember because I was editing the finale's recap when the shit hit the fan (and the forum boards on Television Without Pity).  And the word at the time was always that Alyssa had Shannen fired.

Hey Demian! God I miss the Charmed days on TWoP. Such fun.

• Like 2
On 2/12/2024 at 7:21 PM, Demian said:

Your recaps were always so hilarious.

• Like 2
On 2/13/2024 at 10:42 AM, iMonrey said:

Yes, but the actors would have been on hiatus for awhile by the time the third season finale aired, which is what I meant. 

I always regarded the "Alyssa got Shannen fired" accusations as anti-Alyssa propaganda by the Shannen fans. Turns out it was true!

Still, having listened to Shannen's podcast, I don't entirely buy her innocent act. She feigned ignorance over any particular fight or altercation with Alyssa that would have warranted her wrath. Back in the day they both copped to petty behavior over perceived jealousies (Shannen, over Alyssa's fan mail; Alyssa, over Shannen's designer wardrobe). 

You and me both.

I think thats what shes saying. Nothing that they were at odds about was big enough to lead to eithers termination or mediator. 

(edited)
On 2/13/2024 at 11:42 AM, iMonrey said:

Oh, for duh -- I completely misread your comment, and you are absolutely right.  That night when it was announced that Shannen had been fired, though -- I still have PTSD from how those boards blew up.

On 2/14/2024 at 5:06 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

Hey Demian! God I miss the Charmed days on TWoP. Such fun.

Hiya!  And I actually kinda miss them, too -- it was such a smart, bitchy, and hilarious group of people on there (and the show richly deserved every single insult that group threw at it).  I'm still sorry I lost payndz's vicious Harmed game a few laptops ago.

On 2/15/2024 at 11:48 PM, andromeda331 said:

Your recaps were always so hilarious.

Thank you very kindly, but I do look back on them now with a lot of regret -- I assumed the actresses had far more agency than they actually did.  I directed too much of my criticism at them, personally, rather than towards the real monsters responsible for this garbage:  Aaron Spelling, and most especially Brad Kern.

I still remember one of the writers coming out and saying how infuriating it was to be forced to write a San Francisco-set show where every single character was straight and white.

Edited to add:  Eilish and her fucking hideous costumes should be up on the Real Monster Wall with Spelling and Kern.

Edited by Demian
  • Like 2
  • Love 1