Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Fool For Liv

WendyCR72

To air on October 28, 2019:

Lola contends with a fame-hungry defendant, personal assistant Olivia McLeland, and a circus-like courtroom while presiding over a celebrity’s murder trial that forces her to find peace at Sherri’s home after she’s chased by paparazzi.

Judge Lola better get some guidance from the boss.  That circus went on way too long.  Wynn Duffy was just a loose cannon all the way through, and then, when the ADA started testifying instead of asking questions, he didn't even object when he should have.  Even Benny is starting to look lawyerly compared to these folks.  The last discussion in the courtroom didn't ring true at all, to me.  She, as a former prosecutor, should know that what he said is absolutely true sometimes.  It is a show, and the attorneys want the jury to hear what they want them to hear.  Tell me that she never ever put a detective on the stand who didn't fudge the truth sometimes, and then she can pontificate about justice and fairness.  Each side is interested in achieving its own goals.

Sherri is an acquired taste.  I'm not quite there yet.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Judge Lola better get some guidance from the boss.  That circus went on way too long.  Wynn Duffy was just a loose cannon all the way through, and then, when the ADA started testifying instead of asking questions, he didn't even object when he should have. 

Well it was right after Judge Lola threw a bullet at him and told him next time it will be going a bit faster so the bully tucked his tail.

I wondered if a judge would really threaten a lawyer the way Lola did in front of the jury, even in front of everyone, actually.

Although I can't put my finger on when or which shows, it strikes me as very common for a black woman to be playing the role of the adviser behind the character with power (or the one casting meaningful glances and showing disapproval), so it's nice that in this case, it's Sherry doing that for Lola. 

These guys with their scruffy beards really look pretty raggedy to me. 

• Love 4

So, I just got around to watching the episode but I thought it was actually better in terms of enjoyment. Or...absolute frustration at Adam Pryce and total anger at how awful he was being. He really WAS making the court case to be a mockery and it should have been shut down from the moment he tried to make a mockery of Lola in his opening statement. That being said, the way he got on my nerves actually got my attention. I would hate to see him again, but he'd make a good antagonist for the other characters. The actor portrayed him very well.

And...he wasn't completely wrong when he was talking with Lola in their end scene. It IS also about telling a story to the court. But I was definitely not liking him at all.

I liked the case with Mark and Emily. It's nice to see Colin Ford again; the last time I saw him was that god awful Under The Dome. I'd love to see more of Mark's boss, Thomas. I hope Reggie Lee can become a regular because he's great.

Sherri is definitely an acquired taste. I don't mind her being professional for Lola and basically being her anchor to make sure she doesn't stray too far into the creative stuff, but the stuff at her home was a little too...I don't know, stiff? 

• Love 2

I like Jere Burns and I think he added a lot of energy to the show so I wouldn't mind seeing him again.  The problem with the show is that I don't think he could have gone as long as he did without drawing a contempt charge.  And I don't think she'd censure him in open court the way she did.  That could be considered prejudicial. He might have a case for an appeal--except that the defendant got on the stand and confessed so that might mitigate things.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Sherri is definitely an acquired taste. I don't mind her being professional for Lola and basically being her anchor to make sure she doesn't stray too far into the creative stuff, but the stuff at her home was a little too...I don't know, stiff? 

I liked that we got some insight into the character, even if it was kind of a cliche that someone acts in a very controlled manner because their life was such chaos growing up. 

I rolled my eyes at the courtroom scenes.  I don't really believe such a new judge would be assigned what appeared to be a very high profile murder case, and I feel like both attorneys would have been shut down much earlier in the trial.  I did recognize the victim's mom was Tina from the original Nightmare on Elm Street.     

• Love 3

As cheesy as it was, I thought the little girl in the Lola Halloween costume was cute, and as always Mark and Lola are a highlight. Honestly though, you would think that they wouldn't have had a rookie judge on such a high profile case, but its not like this show is super heavy on the true to life representation of the legal system!

I liked the plot with Mark and Emily, although I spent half the show worried that the kid from the crime family would end up being killed by his scary ass grandma or something. But then this show has mainly focused on happy endings, or as happy as possible, so I figured it would be alright!

Wynn Duffy from Justified as the lawyer was such a silver tongued bastard, I kept waiting for Lola to really clamp down on him and his shenanigans. I would be happy to see him again.

Edited by tennisgurl