Type keyword(s) to search

Cecile Horton: Metahuman Attorney At Law

phoenics
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And I'm sooooo glad Cecile is leaving the DA's office, because she SUCKS. There is no "preponderance of evidence" in CRIMINAL TRIALS. That is the scale that is used in CIVIL trials. CRIMINAL trials have "proof beyond a reasonable doubt" you moron.

Cecile annoys me to no end.

Well to be fair, these writers also had Iris writing her dissertation in the pilot episode and then suddenly she was just in college (rather than finishing a PhD like the pilot suggested), so I think it's safe to say this is clearly the writers screwing over Cecile with inaccurate lines.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, phoenics said:

Well to be fair, these writers also had Iris writing her dissertation in the pilot episode and then suddenly she was just in college (rather than finishing a PhD like the pilot suggested), so I think it's safe to say this is clearly the writers screwing over Cecile with inaccurate lines.

Also, really, really bad performance in court during Barry's trial. I cringe whenever I even think of those scenes.

• Love 3
Just now, SevenStars said:

Also, really, really bad performance in court during Barry's trial. I cringe whenever I even think of those scenes.

Yeah - that was really really bad.  I was so disappointed in the writing for that trial.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, phoenics said:

Nope. Not gonna be fair. Because of the prevalence of all frakkin' shows being on social media, leaking promos, storylines, behind the scenes drama, engaging with fans--no bloody excuse not to make sure what they're writing is ACCURATE. Plus, I've thought Cecile has sucked ever since they gave her more presence, because she was written to be someone who always seemed to act like a defense attorney instead of a PROSECUTOR. I still remember Barry's trial.

5 minutes ago, SevenStars said:

That was BEYOND cringe worthy. And insulting. Like I've posted on other show threads, when the writing is so incredibly stoopid, and if the writers are like, 'duh, I dunno' in their writing, all they have to do is just watch one, JUST ONE episode of the mothership Law & Order.

So, nope. No slack from me.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Nope. Not gonna be fair. Because of the prevalence of all frakkin' shows being on social media, leaking promos, storylines, behind the scenes drama, engaging with fans--no bloody excuse not to make sure what they're writing is ACCURATE. Plus, I've thought Cecile has sucked ever since they gave her more presence, because she was written to be someone who always seemed to act like a defense attorney instead of a PROSECUTOR. I still remember Barry's trial.

That was BEYOND cringe worthy. And insulting. Like I've posted on other show threads, when the writing is so incredibly stoopid, and if the writers are like, 'duh, I dunno' in their writing, all they have to do is just watch one, JUST ONE episode of the mothership Law & Order.

So, nope. No slack from me.

And you know the worst thing about those scenes is that it felt like the writers were not even TRYING. It felt like the writers were trying to gaslight us, by telling us how great Cecile is as a prosecutor/defense lawyer but intentionally showing us how TERRIBLE she was. Forget accuracy in the legally system, logic could have saved those scenes. It wasn't even the lack of accuracy that bothered me, it was the total stupidity of it all.

It was so bad I wanted/wished that Cecile was intentionally being this bad because for some reason she wanted Barry to be find guilty. Even then, I would still have wanted Joe or Iris to notice and question her about it. But no, all the characters were praising Cecile and acting like her "best" just wasn't good enough, lmao. So she can't even be a good defense lawyer. I hope Wallace treats her better, us better, in her new career.

I can't rewatch those scenes because they are so ugly terrible.

Edited by SevenStars
  • Love 2

When it comes to the trial.. I feel like the writers knew they had to put him in jail and the trial itself was a formality.. I remember watching thinking.. Why even pretend let's just get to the guilty verdict.. And it come thru in the writing and acting... 

• Love 2

Yeah I agree. That was one of those times, sadly prevalent in this 'verse where the writers need to get from A-D and have one episode to do it so B and C make absolutely no sense and make the characters look beyond stupid and/or possibly evil. 

I'm neutral on Cecile, but I think they could have done a lot more/put her to better use than what we've been given especially when they made her a regular. 

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 2
On 10/18/2019 at 8:19 PM, UNOSEZ said:

When it comes to the trial.. I feel like the writers knew they had to put him in jail and the trial itself was a formality.. I remember watching thinking.. Why even pretend let's just get to the guilty verdict.. And it come thru in the writing and acting... 

100% true. And it was so dumb because the trial itself should have been an arc.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Trini said:

100% true. And it was so dumb because the trial itself should have been an arc.

I agree.  This is what frustrates me the most about the trial.  They sped through it in no time at all and then spent several episodes on boring storylines to stretch out The Thinker plot - with him jumping from body to body.  If they'd spread the Flash trial out more, they could have had Iris investigating with Ralph or something and the team actually working to try to free Barry for more than 5 minutes - with them coming close and failing and Cecile putting up a REAL defense and then FINALLY Iris about to tell all and then Flash does what he does and things shift down from there.

It was a really bad decision to smash everything into one episode.  Really bad.  Especially given how badly things draaaaaaggggggggeeeeeeeddddd after that.

I remember how excited I was at first for how the trial was going to happen and then poof.  All of that drama just ended.  I feel like they wasted that incredible scene where Barry comes home to find DeVoe's body - and then makes the decision not to run after looking at his photo with Iris.  Gah that scene still gets me today and they wasted it on that stupid rushed trial.

I remember a Lois & Clark storyline where Lois was framed for a murder really well - I mean REALLY well - and at first she tried to go along with the trial and be above board, etc.. but then she was convicted and that the DA was kinda in with the framers so Superman broke her out and they went "on the lam" and worked together to prove she was innocent.  I realize this would be hard to do on the Flash directly - but they managed to squeeze in major stakes and emotional beats in two episodes.  The attorneys looked competent (even if one was dirty) and there were parts were the bad guys stacked the deck against Lois (how they did a Perry hologram that doomed Lois with its testimony while the real Perry was knocked out somewhere).

I felt like them having Cecile boil the trial down to "Just admit you're the flash" as her ONLY way to defend him was stupid.  The writing was so forced here it rushed the trial and made Cecile look extremely incompetent and stupid.  I blame the writing - not the character - because it was the writing choices that forced this.  Cecile USED to look competent in her early days.

• Love 5
On 10/20/2019 at 10:03 AM, phoenics said:

I remember a Lois & Clark storyline where Lois was framed for a murder really well - I mean REALLY well - and at first she tried to go along with the trial and be above board, etc.. but then she was convicted and that the DA was kinda in with the framers so Superman broke her out and they went "on the lam" and worked together to prove she was innocent.  I realize this would be hard to do on the Flash directly - but they managed to squeeze in major stakes and emotional beats in two episodes.  The attorneys looked competent (even if one was dirty) and there were parts were the bad guys stacked the deck against Lois (how they did a Perry hologram that doomed Lois with its testimony while the real Perry was knocked out somewhere).

Damn, I remember this!

On 10/20/2019 at 12:03 PM, phoenics said:

I agree.  This is what frustrates me the most about the trial.  They sped through it in no time at all and then spent several episodes on boring storylines to stretch out The Thinker plot - with him jumping from body to body.  If they'd spread the Flash trial out more, they could have had Iris investigating with Ralph or something and the team actually working to try to free Barry for more than 5 minutes - with them coming close and failing and Cecile putting up a REAL defense and then FINALLY Iris about to tell all and then Flash does what he does and things shift down from there.

It was a really bad decision to smash everything into one episode.  Really bad.  Especially given how badly things draaaaaaggggggggeeeeeeeddddd 

Totally agree with this. I would have been more forgiven of this stupidity if they had done it because they had something better/more interesting they needed time to do. But they had NOTHING. It was basically a continuity of stupidity on repeat. I truly dislike that season. Westallen's  child is the only reason I came back for S5 and S5 was so bad that I gave up half-way in and wasn't planning on coming back for S6. Wallace is the only reason I came back. 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, SevenStars said:

Wallace is the only reason I came back. 

Wallace has def injected something into this season.. But I was never gonna give up on the flash... He's my favorite hero.. And this show employs a gang of POC... Even if they never really bring that up.. Who knows those Iris will be rocking her natural curls sooner or later they say.. So maybe finally we'll get something there

• Love 1

I'm a few episodes behind. The last one I watched had Cecile introducing herself to Sue as having been a metahuman defense attorney for 20+ years, if I heard correctly.

1. Just no. You may have been an attorney for 20+ years, but (unless this is all a retcon thanks to Crisis) you have been a metahuman defense attorney for like a year or two, and metahumans themselves have only been around for like 6 years.

2. There is no sign, as far as I know, that Sue is a metahuman, right? So why would Cecile introduce herself that way?