Type keyword(s) to search

How I Met Your Mother - General Discussion

• Start Topic

So, if we are lucky, Ted is about to die.

Oh!! I hadn't thought of that! He could be dying! That would be another explanation for the whole Time Travelers end voice over... either way I say someone's dying. I'm not going to go into major speculation in this thread but man. There are some theories around that are very compelling now. 

Guys, after last night I'm sure of it. She's totally dead. OR dying. MAYBE she's in an operation and we're waiting for the outcome but it's not a happy ending. I'm so blown away. 

Guys, after last night I'm sure of it. She's totally dead. OR dying. MAYBE she's in an operation and we're waiting for the outcome but it's not a happy ending. I'm so blown away. 

Though it's possible it's a fakeout and she was very sick in 2024 but pulled through. We'll see.

Yeah, I think it's possible she's still alive and that in 2024 she was diagnosed with something and she and Ted believed it was fatal.  It's an extremely cheap way to do things, though, and I don't think it would resonate as strongly as if she's actually dead.

• Love 1

2) The kids wouldn't be so irritated by his stories, long though they may be, if he were telling them about his romance with their dead mother. 

i thought this as well.

Really liked the line about "old married couple". The mother makes Ted more likable, which is about right...

@Omar I agree. I've actually come around to hoping she's dead. Not that I initially ever wanted that ending but rather at this point I feel like if they don't have her be dead these anvils have all just been really cheap trickery to keep me watching. 

• Love 1

Well that was interesting. I called Lilly being pregnant at the beginning of the episode, and I called Daisy being the new baby's name when I saw the Daisy... not that I enjoyed this one any less but it was fairly predictable. No real clues as to the endgame so we'll just have to wait and see but if Robin calls off the wedding because she was referring to Ted when she said "yes" to her mom's question I'm going to be really mad!

We got the flash-forward to Argentina, so I think Barney and Robin still get married?

You're right. I had forgotten that. Good. I mean I was going to be really angry, not that I'll be thrilled if everything else plays out the way it looks like it's going to play out, but at least there will be a Robin/Barney wedding. I was going to throw something if this whole lead up to a wedding had been a waste of time. This show! I swear. 

If there's not a Barney/Robin wedding there's going to be rioting in the streets over this giant waste of time. Well, let's just hope this wasn't ALL a giant waste of time.

That being said, this was a pretty good episode, despite the lack of The Mother or any forward movement on that. Are there seriously only 4 episodes left? It doesn't feel like it. Really hoping this all wraps up nicely. Or at least not in a huge disappointment.

• Love 1

Is the audience suppose to ignore that Tracy Ullman is speaking with her English accent.  Did I forget a reference to Robin's mom being Engilish?  Or do we just not care anymore because we only have three episodes left, finally. 

• Love 1

Is the audience suppose to ignore that Tracy Ullman is speaking with her English accent.  Did I forget a reference to Robin's mom being Engilish?

They had a joke before that no-one knew anything about Robin's mother, so it doesn't really contradict previous episodes.

I know this had been the big complaint of the season, but Ted's first date with the mother was really sweet - why couldn't we have seen more of that? These particular wedding shenanigans were particularly pointless in contrast (although I was pleased to find out what became of Sandy).

I don't really like french fries that much (I know, I'm a monster) but my husband was nodding along and heartily agreeing with the whole curly fry bit. He even said "That's the DREAM" before Barney said it so I guess this is a thing? I don't know. To me it was funny that Barney would be mad about something so trivial but apparently an accidental curly fry is not trivial at all... 

I admit to getting a bit choked up at the end montage, but I'm still in the camp of not really caring about Ted and the Mother because I stopped liking Ted about 4 seasons ago. 

I'm calling this one "fine" I mean I'm super glad that the wedding finally happened and I'm excited to see how it ends but I also kind of don't care anymore. This whole season taking place over a weekend thing is really trying my patience. This episode wasn't that funny either. I'm glad there was really a Ring Bear though. Adorable.

I caught a rerun on a plane this weekend and the show felt so different. Then I remembered, oh yeah, they used to do shows in the apartment or the bar or the sidewalk  or... anywhere other than Farhamptom! When Ted said tonight it had been a long week, I heartily agreed!

I'm both very ready for this show to end and sad to lose some of these characters.

• Love 1
I now feel pretty sure that the point of the story to the kids is that Ted's had two great loves of his life, and that now that the kids' mother is dead, this is his justification for marrying "Aunt Robin."

Yup. Also BOO to that. Barney better also be dead. I say that because I'm going to hate it if Barney and Robin just break up, I don't want Barney to die, but at the same time I would rather he die than prove that he's not in it for the long haul with Robin, that he didn't change or whatever. I just can't with that. 

This probably belongs in endgame speculation, but based on Robin's call to Patrice's show last week, it's clear she and Barney have problems going forward.  Dreading that maybe Ted ends up with Robin and Barney is like an 80-year-old suited swinger trolling for hot young babes at MacLaren's.  It could happen.

I don't want to nitpick, but I can't stop myself.  Robin has a sister, who we saw earlier that day (a few episodes ago) and is apparently close enough with Robin to be hanging out with her in the bridal suite as she gets ready.  But the sister is not a bridesmaid??

• Love 4

So just watched the episode and what I noticed (and then could not stop noticing)  is that all the artwork on the walls of the Farhampton Inn feature Jesus. 

In the room where Barney is freaking out there is a painting of the Last Supper and what looks like a prayer.  In the hallway where Ted looks at the locket Jesus is on the wall behind him.  Then in almost every shot of the actual wedding there is a cross.  Has this been mentioned before?  Is there a reason for this?  What kind of fundamentalist place is the Farhampton Inn anyway?

I kind of love Robin and Barney together and always have. I like the Mother, but hated "Once" on Broadway so much and her ridiculously bad "Czech" accent that it's spilled over onto Cristina Milottie, unfortunately.

And I loved Lily and Marshall's vows.

I believe, LAFR, that the wedding itself is in a church, not in the hotel. It's not at the Farhampton Inn. That's just where the guests are staying.

There were some cute parts, but it just wasn't that funny like it used to be. I'm ready for it to end. Either the mother's dead and it's a terribly sad ending, or it's going to be a boring ending where nothing happens at all. Alyson Hannigan said in an interview that everyone cried when they read the last script...but that could have also been because it's the end of the show.

Inside the Actor's Studio stopped being about the actual craft of acting a long time ago, didn't it?

Just as a "reunion" type episode though, it was entertaining.

BTW:  I'd kind of hoped Bob Saget might be there.

I thought it was a bit Barney/NPH centric. 10 mins for him and his character and only a few minutes for the other characters. Is there any time where NPH doesn't drag his kids into his promotional gigs,it just wasted time.

Do the guests know the questions that James Lipton is going to ask and does he know their answers already? They seem to have the picture ready to go when he asks the questions

I thought it was a bit Barney/NPH centric. 10 mins for him and his character and only a few minutes for the other characters.

I agree. I mean, I know there were five actors on the stage, and Lipton has to spread the love (as it were), but the whole hour seemed too short. I would have liked to see it maybe a two hour deal. I bet that would have evened things out a bit more. I wonder if they'll make that an extra on the DVD.

I wish they'd spent less time "interviewing" the characters rather than the actors.  I know Lipton likes to do that, but when you have five people and spend half to 2/3 of your time with most of them interviewing their fictional selves, it doesn't leave much time for actual discussion.  Also as much as I love Alyson Hannigan, they spent a lot of time talking about her past roles, while there was basically no mention of anyone else's other work (I think they talked about Freaks and Geeks with Jason Segel, but that was it).  It just seemed really unbalanced.

I loathe the "interview the characters" stuff.  It well illustrates everything that's wrong with Lipton and his dog and pony "not actually about the craft of acting for at least the past decade" show.

The only time I've liked it even a little was with Harry Shearer, and that's just because seeing him do the Simpsons voices, witnessing them come out of his mouth I mean, is kind of essential to understanding his craft.  But the million other times Lipton has done this shtick hasn't been as justified.  Hearing Cobie Smulders stumble around trying to think of Robinesque things to say without benefit of a script writer is sad at best, and a total waste of time at worst.   

Edited by Kromm