Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Storm Killer

ohjoy
  • Start Topic

With the crooked man closing in and a final confrontation seemingly inevitable, a terrified Nicole tries to protect Dion by fleeing the city.

Release date: October 4, 2019

Is his dad really back?!?!  Please be back.  Awww no he's not back ... *sobs*  Damn this show really got me.

OMG Club Woody!!!  Thats the library for all ya'll non-AUC people.  The library in the Atlanta University Center (AUC) was called Woodriff - we called it Club Woody.  It was literally where folks hooked up - this is brilliant them having a meet-cute there!

That Morehouse hoodie is sending me.  But now I'm confused - they met AND married while he was at Morehouse and she was still at Spelman?  Or did they break up and then sync up later on when he was grown and working?  Confused.

I agree with KatSullivan from the episode 8 thread - having this guy be an incel-NiceGuyTM character was literally the most realistic villain ever.  Wow did I get fooled last episode.  WOW!

I don't think Pat is gone forever - he'll be back... wow what an amazing twist.  I'm still reeling from it.  Whoops - did he merge with the angry empath kid?  OMG.

I know I was a big vocal naysayer of this show's casting for Nicole, but she's won me over now.  The colorism still bothers me but the show is really well done and well written.  I will definitely be back for S2 - I'm astonished at how fast 9 episodes flew by.  I did it all in one day.

• Love 1

I enjoyed the show but was disappointed when they revealed the villain was Pat.

I was hoping he had powers but then they had to throw in that horrible plot twist.  Speaking of twist, Pat was a freaking nut!  I wonder was he always that clingy/obsessive/cray-cray or did that happen after he was altered by the meteor shower?

It's really too bad I thought they made a cute couple.  I'm not surprised they chose that little farmer boy because he kind of creeped me out when he was shouting at Charlotte using telepathy when she said she couldn't take him.  I was thinking "Uh oh", this kid is going to be a problem and I was right.  What I what to know is how out of all the people that the "Shadow Man/Lightning Man aka Pat could have chosen, why did he chose the farmer boy?  Is it because he's a child and people wouldn't normally suspect a child of doing evil things?  Why didn't he choose and adult; someone who could move around more easily, someone who can drive etc.?

Edited by lapetite66
  • Love 2
On 10/19/2019 at 12:14 AM, lapetite66 said:

What I what to know is how out of all the people that the "Shadow Man/Lightning Man aka Pat could have chosen, why did he chose the farmer boy?  Is it because he's a child and people wouldn't normally suspect a child of doing evil things?  Why didn't he choose and adult; someone who could move around more easily, someone who can drive etc.?

I doubt the Crooked Man Energy is sentient enough to discern that difference. It seems attracted to malevolence. Also going by Dion, it's possible that the second-generation Iceland-Mutants are more powerful than their parents, so maybe the Crooked Energy chose Brayden for that reason. 

On 10/19/2019 at 12:14 AM, lapetite66 said:

I was hoping he had powers but then they had to throw in that horrible plot twist. 

By horrible plot twist, do you mean that it was built up so well that it rewards re-watching to see all the early clues that led to this... but at the same time obscured cleverly (partly by relying on audience biases) enough that it was genuinely surprising.... ?

• Love 1
On 10/16/2019 at 9:38 PM, phoenics said:

I don't think Pat is gone forever - he'll be back... wow what an amazing twist.  I'm still reeling from it.  Whoops - did he merge with the angry empath kid?  OMG.

The negative energy exists and it latches on to a person who has a deep resentment.  Pat was easy because he hadn't dealt with his resentment of Mark's relationship, and his resentment of women for not being what he wanted.  He never looked at his own behavior, so the negative energy just slipped right in. 

In the case of the kid, the negative energy slipped in because the kid was angry.  He loved his dad and when his dad was killed, he had to deal with an aunt who seemed pretty nasty, remember she said the dad was probably mixed up with the devil or something?  This kid probably had to listen to that shit all day.  And when the lady (forgot her name) came, he desperately wanted to go with her because he couldn't stand his aunt.  

There's a saying in rehab, HALT, never get to Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired.  If you do, negative energy and negative thinking can slip in before you even know what's happening.  It's like you're so out of touch with what you're feeling, you don't even realize what the problem is. 

I don't think Pat per se will be back, but the negative energy will.

On 10/19/2019 at 2:14 AM, lapetite66 said:

It's really too bad I thought they made a cute couple.

I'm an old lady.  I grew up watching romantic comedies where at the start of the movie, the man and woman hated each other, and by the end, they were completely in love.  I think movies like that made a lot of men think that all they needed was to "hang in there" and the woman would "give in" and fall in love with them.  (in reality, the women were already in love with the man, they just didn't want to make it too easy for him, they wanted to make him work...kind of like in nature).

So initially when I saw Nicole and Pat, I thought the same thing, cute couple.  But that has to do more with my own biases than anything else.  

One of my favorite shows recently ended, "Elementary."  This show had a man and a woman who, by the last episode loved and respected each other and each other's boundaries.  It wasn't a romantic love but one based on friendship, trust and respect.  Some people might have thought the show was odd, but I thought it was nice.

• Love 4

There was also something interesting in the 8th and 9th episode.  It was a parallel between Pat and Dion.  Both of them crossed a woman's (or girl's) boundaries.  Pat didn't get it, but because Dion is a child today, he had a mother who explained it to him.  I don't ever remember the term "boundaries" when it came to people, until the late 1980's when I heard John Bradshaw talk about boundaries in that way.

• Love 2

I just finished watching the final episode and another thing I noticed that's different from most of these kinds of shows: BIONA was not an evil corporation. They appeared to be at first, but by the end it seems like they genuinely want to stop the storms and fix the damage in Iceland.

• Love 4
On 10/24/2019 at 6:52 PM, Neurochick said:

Both of them crossed a woman's (or girl's) boundaries.  Pat didn't get it, but because Dion is a child today, he had a mother who explained it to him.  I don't ever remember the term "boundaries" when it came to people, until the late 1980's when I heard John Bradshaw talk about boundaries in that way.

I don't think they were the same thing at all.

Both crossed boundaries but Dion was doing something he thought would make his friend happy. Even before his mother explained what he did wrong, he was already apologizing to Esperanza and trying to make it up for her. He knew he was wrong. His mother just explained why. 

Pat just felt entitled. He wasn't thinking about Nicole or even Dion beyond the fact that they owed him for being a Nice Guy. 

• Love 3

Nicole was very clear about not being romantically interested in Pat, and that it wasn't about timing, or anything else. There was nothing forcing Pat to continue showing up and demanding her attention. For that matter, he could have said he couldn't handle being so "helpful" and when he did say something like that, she apologized and said she'd stop leaning on him so much.

I looooooved her talking about boundaries with Dion, and I loved how Charlotte and Nicole both reacted so strongly to Dion's mistake with Esperanza, talking about respect and boundaries and separating it from his motives and putting the focus back on what she wanted and how to be respectful.

The cruelty of the isolation chambers for all those animals, and then for Dion, was very upsetting to me, and Suzanne is not exactly what I'd call a hero. But even she had an instinctive aversion to Pat, which I thought was really interesting. I think the company is mixed in terms of good and bad.

Jonathan's reaction to hearing Dion was jealous of his relationship with Esperanza was hilarious. That kid was a decent actor.

I still think Esperanza was a bit of a trope, but at least near the end they tried to somewhat address at least a small part of that.

Another surprise was that it wasn't the big corporation with all its resources that saved the day. It was the ordinary people, Nicole and the kids, and to some extent Charlotte earlier in the episode.

I felt bad for Nicole's sister. I hope she can tell her ex the truth now. But I love the loyalty and support of the female characters-- sister (Kat?), neighbor (Tessa?), Charlotte... and how all the female characters were firm on boundaries and respect, in many ways all through the series (Nicole, the above-mentioned 3, and Esperanza).

And dad (Mark) finally realized he was wrong to hide things from Nicole.

Great job, show!!!

In addition to the resentment factor, I think choosing Braden as the next host was partly opportunistic in that he had less protection than the adult possible hosts would have. He couldn't flee, and he had no support network because his aunt didn't believe anything he said.

• Love 5
On 10/24/2019 at 8:52 PM, Neurochick said:

There was also something interesting in the 8th and 9th episode.  It was a parallel between Pat and Dion.  Both of them crossed a woman's (or girl's) boundaries.  Pat didn't get it, but because Dion is a child today, he had a mother who explained it to him.  I don't ever remember the term "boundaries" when it came to people, until the late 1980's when I heard John Bradshaw talk about boundaries in that way.

Yes, I love that she was his mentor after all (someone complained that she had been replaced by Pat, in that regard). 

I want to know how Pat thought he would live long anyway, considering there were only a certain amount of people affected by that storm. It seems like if he'd come clean (and been a good guy), they might have all been able to come together to heal him. 

I loved seeing his dad appear to them both, and hope that they do figure out how to get him back. That he isn't really dead. That was a lovely moment. 

I'm sad this is over already. I grew really attached to Nicole, Dion, and his friends  

Edited by Anela
  • Love 4